Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Hurricane Dorian

My thoughts and prayers to all of the residents and our members living in the Bahamas.  Hurricane Dorian left them no mercy.  The devastation is totally unbelievable and we will be seeing more as Dorian finishes its path of destruction. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Any news yet about how hard it's going to hit the Virginia coast and DC area?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The coastal regions should not see winds exceeding of 40 - 50 mph

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Any news yet about how hard it's going to hit the Virginia coast and DC area?

It may hit Norfolk and Richmond area at the southern end of the State but weather people are predicting no rain in Northern VA.  But, Dorian has been unpredictable and it could go anywhere.

• Like 2

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It looks like Dorian might cause some coastal damage, but if the winds hold, it may not make landfall in the US, its eyewall may or may not.  What it will do is cool the ocean waters and possibly cause fewer hurricanes to develop for the rest of the season, since it was so strong, but the poor Bahamas, my heart wails for them, they are such a great welcoming Island chain for many on the East Coast...  My late brother and his wife were there on a Disney Cruise, but the only Caribbean Islands I have been on are Puerto Rico, right after a hurricane brushed that Island in '97, and Margarita Island off the coast of Venezuela which to my knowledge has never been hit with a major hurricane, though it can get torrential rains off the Venezuelan rain forest.... 

When I worked there in '90 I'd sit on my balcony watching the thunderstorms over the coast of South America, and I took an excursion to Angel Falls, the farthest south I have ever been in my life--I did not cross the equator, but I could see past it, so I almost qualified for the equator sailor drenching...

John

The Bahamas is my home country and I'm thankful my family in Nassau was not hit with the worst of the storm. The islands of Grand Bahama and Abaco unfortunately, was not so lucky. My heart sinks from seeing the devastation Dorian has caused and I fear the recovery from this will take years to come. Tourism is the biggest industry in The Bahamas and efforts to rebuild this industry will certainly take some time as we try to restore families and the faith of the Bahamian people.

• Like 1

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Troy,

Thanks for the information.  Happy to hear your family is safe. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Here in Pooler GA, just outside of Savannah, we are just starting to get the steady rain from the outer bands of Dorian. The winds started to pick up a bit about 2 hours ago, but have actually dropped off somewhat in the past 30 minutes or so. Fortunately the storm is staying far enough off the coast that we are being spared a lot of what we could have received.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

I hope the people in Alabama will be safe, reports says they will be hit hard, keep safe everyone and be prepared

Matthew Kane

Matthew - Thank you for your thoughts but there is not now, nor has there ever been, a threat to the people of Alabama. Here's the story as to how that rumor got started:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/09/04/president-trump-shows-doctored-hurricane-chart-was-it-cover-up-alabama-twitter-flub/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpmap-350pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans    

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

4 hours ago, W2DR said:

Matthew - Thank you for your thoughts but there is not now, nor has there ever been, a threat to the people of Alabama.

I'm 99.99% certain that Matthew was posting snark... :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

I'm 99.99% certain that Matthew was posting snark... :laugh:

It was actually on the news here in New Zealand about Alabama so half snark half not, news reports are so bad these days I can barely watch them anymore 

But yes be prepared if you live in the coast. I used to live in Nova Scotia and lived through a few hurricanes. We had a good house that stood up through Hurricane Juan, but humbling the power of those storms if you ever have to hunker down

Matthew Kane

Glad to see people getting help. The video clip i saw was a DC-8 landing in Nassau  representing   Samaritan's Purse. Never heard of the org. until yesterday. A great sight to see after what the Bahamians went through.

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

It was actually on the news here in New Zealand about Alabama so half snark half not, news reports are so bad these days I can barely watch them anymore 

But yes be prepared if you live in the coast. I used to live in Nova Scotia and lived through a few hurricanes. We had a good house that stood up through Hurricane Juan, but humbling the power of those storms if you ever have to hunker down

How bad were the hurricanes once they got to Nova Scotia?   Were they generally still packing hurricane-force winds?  Did they spawn tornadoes even up in Canada?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As far as I have seen, they die before getting there as the water is too cold.

Submit News to AVSIM