Sign in to follow this  
eslader

AIG plane behavior question

Just started messing with AIG. Enjoying it so far. But the traffic it generates isn't very smart. The planes taxi into each other all the time. They also like to taxi through my airplane from behind.  Is this normal behavior, or is there a way to make them avoid each other (and me)?

3 hours ago, eslader said:

Just started messing with AIG. Enjoying it so far. But the traffic it generates isn't very smart. The planes taxi into each other all the time. They also like to taxi through my airplane from behind.  Is this normal behavior, or is there a way to make them avoid each other (and me)?

Normal behaviour.. you can try to use some 3rd party ATC tools to control the situation.. but reducing the amount of AI traffic also helps.

PRO-ATCX for example freeze AI on the ground to try to avoid collisions, but it is not perfect as this can still happen.. I will let others to recommend you more solutions, etc.

S.

Edited by simbol

4 hours ago, eslader said:

The problem is not with AIG. The problem is at the door of L-M (and Microsoft before them) who have not fixed these problems in the underlying ESP code. I have written on the L-M forum asking for these long-standing problems to be fixed. Whether they will or won't is not known since they do not reply to requests.

If they don't fix them in v5 then I see no point in moving to that version when it becomes available.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

AI planes should not taxi through each other, and they generally only taxi through a user's plane if you are side on to them (either pushing back across a taxiway using the default pushback procedure, or if you stop halfway through a tight corner). If they are passing through each other "head on", then there is either a problem with the AFD file (multiple connections on the same taxiway), or else you have multiple AFD files for a particular airport active at the same time.

The default ATC system is actually quite clever if used properly. I rarely encounter problems with AI planes taxiing through each other.

I do not use the AIG utility, but I do use a custom database of AI models and flightplans (and most of the latter are from AIG).

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As per above, I find AI on the ground is well behaved. The biggest bugbear I have, and I think many others do, is too many planes trying to land at once or cutting across in front of you on finals,it ruins the immersion.

• Like 1

Ian S

38.jpg

Yes, I agree. It always makes me cringe when I see two AI planes on top of each other during final approach :blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Ian S said:

As per above, I find AI on the ground is well behaved. The biggest bugbear I have, and I think many others do, is too many planes trying to land at once or cutting across in front of you on finals,it ruins the immersion.

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, I agree. It always makes me cringe when I see two AI planes on top of each other during final approach :blink:

I use Super Traffic Board to solve this. My AI is spaced quite nicely with each other and me too. I set AIG (all available plans installed, checked daily-weekly) to 100%. 

I personally have not ever seen 2 AI go through each other.

I use ASP4 for weather and I use the Force ATC wind lock option to prevent runway confusion as the AI /ATC logic is not suited very well for wind shifts and runway changes.

I adjust the AI timeout setting to prevent AI from disappearing so quickly, if holding or in que waiting. 

I use several utilities to help:

• Radar Contact or ProATC/x - Pro ATC/x does better on ground traffic conflicts
  • (the already mentioned) Super Traffic Board - helps to separate traffic around airports
  • Edit Voice Pack - to speed communications between (default) ATC and AI
  • Time Zone Fixer - to help be sure schedules are correct

No doubt the ATC /AI in ESP is lacking, but it can be managed adequately until a better system comes along.

7 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

then there is either a problem with the AFD file (multiple connections on the same taxiway), or else you have multiple AFD files for a particular airport active at the same time.

I can see that as a possibility. I'm noticing it mainly at KORD - the new one from FSDT. Maybe there's some weirdness going on under the hood beyond just "It's O'hare, it's really busy, so there's more planes to run into."

I do know that in times past when I was running P3d without P2ATC or AIG, AI planes would stop for me. Sometimes that got annoying because ATC would have me taxi and then an AI plane would turn onto the taxiway and play chicken with me, usually stopping right in the middle of the intersection I needed to turn at. But at least it would stop. Now planes just ghost through each other constantly.

The weird part is that, while the planes are still way too close for realism on final, the trailing plane will go around which tells me there is some sort of separation logic going on. Your theory would explain that disparity.

Thanks everyone for your input.

1 hour ago, eslader said:

while the planes are still way too close for realism on final, the trailing plane will go around which tells me there is some sort of separation logic going on.

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, I agree. It always makes me cringe when I see two AI planes on top of each other during final approach 

5 hours ago, Ian S said:

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The problem is not with AIG. The problem is at the door of L-M (and Microsoft before them) who have not fixed these problems in the underlying ESP code

I'm going to keep banging the drum for this until there's a fix / another solution:
https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aicontroller14b.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Works well at AI separation, both on approach and during taxiing.

Does take some time to get up and running as I use the SID and STARS function, so I start it before launching P3D.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

33 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I'm going to keep banging the drum for this until there's a fix / another solution:
https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aicontroller14b.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Works well at AI separation, both on approach and during taxiing.

Does take some time to get up and running as I use the SID and STARS function, so I start it before launching P3D.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. But remember, prevention is better than cure and LM have had plenty of time to fix this and the other annoying issues with Ai. Like stopping on a sixpence after landing. Absolutely ridiculous these problems still exist when they released v1.4 back in August 2012. 😠 Seven years and still the same problems.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks. I'll give it a try. But remember, prevention is better than cure and LM have had plenty of time to fix this and the other annoying issues with Ai. Like stopping on a sixpence after landing. Absolutely ridiculous these problems still exist when they released v1.4 back in August 2012. 😠 Seven years and still the same problems.

Ray

Please let us know how it works with the AIG AI Manager app and any issues you find, I am very interested!

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, joepoway said:

Ray

Please let us know how it works with the AIG AI Manager app and any issues you find, I am very interested!

Thanks in advance

Joe

Will do Joe.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have had My Traffic 6 and now UT Live. and use PF3. I have never seen AI run into each other, and when I am taxiing, AI is stopped until I pass the intersection , and then continues taxiing. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Like stopping on a sixpence after landing. Absolutely ridiculous these problems still exist when they released v1.4 back in August 2012.

That's got nothing really to do with the sim, but the FDE for the AI aircraft. They are designed to use minimal runway on landing to help reduce the Runway Occupancy times. There are alternate FDE's to try from one of the users at AIG, but by fixing some faults you ultimately introduce others. As much as we'd love to think it, the sim (FS9, FSX, P3d) was never designed as an AI simulator.

Hopefully, things will be different in upcoming versions of P3d or the new FS.

• Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

That's got nothing really to do with the sim, but the FDE for the AI aircraft. They are designed to use minimal runway on landing to help reduce the Runway Occupancy times. There are alternate FDE's to try from one of the users at AIG, but by fixing some faults you ultimately introduce others. As much as we'd love to think it, the sim (FS9, FSX, P3d) was never designed as an AI simulator.

Hopefully, things will be different in upcoming versions of P3d or the new FS.

I’ve tried editing aircraft.cfg for selected AIG aircraft to improve landing but it’s a tedious task and has limited success. But once Microsoft added the feature for Ai they should have continued to tweak it. And LM certainly should have worked on it given all the other improvements they’ve made to the core program.

I have no interest in FS2020 as I’m not prepared to wipe the slate clean and start again when 90% of 64-bit P3D is absolutely fine. The only time I might consider it is if FS Labs decided it was their preferred platform for a 64-bit Concorde. But we’re talking a long time before they make that decision. Possibly years.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather