Sign in to follow this  
eslader

AIG plane behavior question

@F737NG,

Just a quick reply before I hit the sack. You appear to be doing it the same way as me but one country at a time for both SID and STAR is ridiculous. It will take days to do them all and how do you remember which you've done and which you haven't. There are a couple of hundred countries.

I have found a way of copying multiple txt files in multiple sub-folders into a single one using DOS commands in a CMD window. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see what the results are. It seems highly unlikely there will be duplicate filenames but you never know. How it affects AiController god knows.

The process to gather the information is very clever but it falls down when creating the output. And the AiMonitor program should be able to drill down two levels to reach the txt files. It can do it if the second level folder is named after an ICAO. Surely it just needs a tweak to make it useable because as it stands the amount of work is ridiculous.

And that's just for one AIRAC cycle. In a few months it needs doing again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

38 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have found a way of copying multiple txt files in multiple sub-folders into a single one using DOS commands in a CMD window. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see what the results are.

Please be so kind as to share the results, if you have a successful outcome.
It's such a chore to add (for me) the remaining 200 countries as it currently stands.

Bringing it back to the 'AIG plane behaviour', are we any closer to improved FDE?
Two things that bug me the most are:
1) Take-off speeds of about 250kts rotating off a runway until AIController takes over the departing aircraft for me and puts it on a SID.
2) Landing aircraft that would give their passengers whiplash at best, liquefy passenger insides at worst with the stopping distances.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Firstly, here are the commands that should be entered into a CMD.EXE box with Admin privileges. I couldn't find a way of running them in a batch file.

cd\
cd /d "C:\AiController\Ray_SID_STAR"
for /r %d in (*) do copy "%d" "C:\AiController\SIDSTARS"

Ray_SID_STAR contains multiple folders for each country with txt files in each for SIDs and STARs.

It takes around 15 minutes to copy 182,940 files into SIDSTARS but there were no duplicates.

I fired up AiMonitor and pointed to C:\AiController\SIDSTARS in the Enhanced SID/STAR dialogue box. It accepted the paths.

I started AiController and it finished its initial scan in a minute or so. I then started Data Collection. PLEASE WAIT remained on the screen for a very long time whilst AiController built up close to 750,000 graph txt files. It's still running 20 mins later with multiple messages of "FAILED TO BUILD ENHANCED APPROACH DATA..." No Ai are being monitored.

I'm abandoning this as the program is clearly not suitable for scanning a large number of files. I'll stick to pointing it to mainly European countries and the US and Canada. Do we really need airport data for Afghanistan and Zimbabwe? 😁

It probably explains why you have to select individual countries rather than enmasse ones.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've added 18 countries each for SID and STAR including Russia and the US. When Ai Controller runs it's reporting multiple warning messages "no landings at this ICAO. Run Force Update in AiMonitor."

I'm starting to think this program is only useful with a compatively small number of airports. I also have some scenery outside P3D and it doesn't like the normal path. It wants a UNC one but after entering that it didn't like it. That scenery is mesh anyway so doesn't need scanning.

I'm removing Russia and the US and using the supplied US ones. It's a pity really because if the program could create airport ICAO folders for each country there could be far more control.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've added 18 countries each for SID and STAR including Russia and the US. When Ai Controller runs it's reporting multiple warning messages "no landings at this ICAO. Run Force Update in AiMonitor."

Ignore the warnings on start-up. I receive plenty of those.

Once the program is ready and taking control of AI, it uses the converted SIDS and STARS at all of the major US airports that I have in my scenery library (all installed outside of the main P3D folder, but I haven't used the program at smaller airports yet).

I've selected ~35 countries that cover my most likely start points/destinations, but it is a flaw that it is such a laborious process to add new countries.

It's not perfect, but it does a much better job of controlling AI than any other program I've come across to date and infinitely better than the core P3D AI engine.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

45 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Ignore the warnings on start-up. I receive plenty of those.

The problem is the Data Collection doesn't start until AIController has finished scanning those files. Yes, it's better than nothing but could really do with some enhancements to the country and airport selection

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I’m back with the default supplied SID & STAR files. I decided to add a new folder for Spain. Under it I created a subfolder and named it LEBL and copied the LEBL txt files from my master folder holding the files for every country.

I added it to the list of folders to be scanned and then started P3D and located to Barcelona. I expected to see departing aircraft assigned to a SID but none were. They stayed under FSX (P3D) control. I can’t work out why.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

... I can’t work out why.

Ray,

Not sure, but maybe there's something to be learned in the original AIController thread: 

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Thanks Soren. I don't feel like reading through multiple pages but I did notice this...

" Ver 1.4 now reads taxi and runway data from installed default and add-on scenery (i.e., the "Enhanced" approach mode). "

The problem is from v3 onwards scenery can also be installed as an addon rather than an entry in scenery.cfg. That is the case with my Barcelona. There's no reason I can see why departures out of LEBL shouldn't be handled by AiController.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 9/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, F737NG said:

I'm going to keep banging the drum for this until there's a fix / another solution:
https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aicontroller14b.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Reading though the links supplied by Soren are people aware there is a v2 of this program? Here is the thread announcing it. The author never uploaded it to AvSim library!

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/498931-ai-controller-20-gate-to-gate-httpswwwavsimcomforumstopic498931-ai-controller-20-gate-to-gate-control-open-betacontrol-open-beta/

and here is the link to the program.  http://www.mediafire.com/file/gi5axjbq8447tjq/AIControllerV2.zip/file

It seems we may have been running an old version. I shall install v2 tomorrow and see how it works.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Reading though the links supplied by Soren are people aware there is a v2 of this program? Here is the thread announcing it. The author never uploaded it to AvSim library!

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/498931-ai-controller-20-gate-to-gate-httpswwwavsimcomforumstopic498931-ai-controller-20-gate-to-gate-control-open-betacontrol-open-beta/

and here is the link to the program.  http://www.mediafire.com/file/gi5axjbq8447tjq/AIControllerV2.zip/file

It seems we may have been running an old version. I shall install v2 tomorrow and see how it works.

Thanks for head up.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Thanks for head up.

IIRC, there were numerous complaints about AI slewing all over the airfield after landing. v1.4b was the most stable version of the program I was lead to believe.

To circumnavigate the add-on.xml scenery issue, I use Lorby Addon Organiser to export my scenery library for any external tool.
It creates a temporary scenery.cfg file in the usual ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 location. I just ensure that all scenery entries are made active and re-save the temp file until I've finished running update of Runway and Taxi Data to create a new taxi_graph.txt file for AI Monitor to read. (I get a few error pop-up windows, but clicking through them eventually gives me a new file).
AI Controller spits out the usual list of errors at the start, but AI Monitor then gives me up-to-date AI handling on SIDS, STARS and jet routes.

@F737NG, I did wonder why it is desirable to control ground Ai when they seem to behave okay. I shall ponder whether the new version is required.

Thanks for reminding me about the export facility in Lorby’s Addon Organiser. I have used it in the past and had forgotten about it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

30 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I've finished running update of Runway and Taxi Data to create a new taxi_graph.txt file for AI Monitor to read.

Can anyone explain why AIcontroller or AIMonitor need Taxi data if, as I read, it only handles traffic once taken off and before landing?

Also, surely all it needs to know about Runways positions etc is in the Runways.xml file I think it asks for a pointer to. So, again, why is it scanning scenery files.

I have a problem with the latter point because I want to run AIController on a Networked PC, but many of my Sceneries are not in the P3D folder. I simply don't like them there, and it isn't advised either. So, even with using the Lorby tool to deal with Addon.xml added sceneries, there are many different folders on my P3D PC which would need some sort of Network path stated for them.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

51 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Can anyone explain why AIcontroller or AIMonitor need Taxi data if, as I read, it only handles traffic once taken off and before landing?

In 'Enhanced Mode' (where the program has been given SID STAR data to work with) it takes control of taxiing AI to assist with landing AI throughput. It needs then to know where the taxiways are to push the AI models along at an expedited rate rather than rely on the core P3D AI engine.

Under 'Settings', 'Program Config Paths', click on the 'Advanced Path Options' button in the top right of the new window. There are fields available to complete for networked PC addresses.

If you want more information, take a look at the ReadMe.pdf in the main AI Controller folder. The first page deals with running the program on a network using your utility programs.
Additionally, search on YouTube for 'AIController V2 Install and Basic Usage'. I believe that the basic elements are the same in v1.4b as shown in the v2 video.