Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Wind on ground - is it just me ?

Although I am now unable to test on 11.36 because I decided to jump into 11.40 and am enjoying the new FM features Austin implemented or fine-tunned fact is I noticed something changed regarding that old over-sensitivity to winds on ground and inflight when there is variability / turbulence.

I was searching ( as usual ) for gusts at airfields to go make circuits there and I found a few. When loading first the default 737, then the Toolis 319, then the default C90, and so on, I was surprised to find that the aircraft all behaved much more plausibly, taxied ok, were overall pretty much controllable even under strong cross-shifting winds?

Anyine else noticed that too ( in 11.40 or 11.36 ) ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I haven´t tried many aircraft lately except for the C172 in 11.36r2 and the Baron - and I can handle crosswinds now well in excess of what the operations manuals state. I am not sure what exactly was done (except for the new nosewheel steering implemented for the C172 in 11.36), but yeah, I think our constant effort and pushing on Austin is finally showing some results 😉.

Jan

Thx Jan,

I had a question about the iXEG 737, but I decided to start another thread for it 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

15 hours ago, jcomm said:

Although I am now unable to test on 11.36 because I decided to jump into 11.40 and am enjoying the new FM features Austin implemented or fine-tunned fact is I noticed something changed regarding that old over-sensitivity to winds on ground and inflight when there is variability / turbulence.

In 11.40 beta

Could it be because of this?

Quote:

New wind PROFILE from wind sock to ground

This is from data on wind above ground carefully compiled for wind turbines!!! Har!

So while the metar or real weather or other weather setting sets the wind at 10 meters (the wind sock height), the profile from that down to the ground (by definition 0 for the atoms touching the pavement, and a curve in between) follows the wind turbine wind profile model

http://austinmeyer.com/secretbeta/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Might well be it - something me and others were long claiming to be implemented...

Thx for the suggestion - I didn't think of that one and didn't read it in the beta notes either.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

I guess it does use interpolation between the levels the GRIB file brings, with forecast winds and temps aloft.

Main Simulation Rig: