Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

The useless thread

This forum is getting a little repetitive and contributions scarcer that they were. Time for something new but I don’t have any bright idea to share so why not something useless and slightly ludicrous  ?

Let’s have it.

NDB emits on the same band than AM radio stations. Wouldn’t it be cool if some FS20 aircraft had an ADF receiver with a voice mode that could get local radio stations where we fly ? Most of them are streamed to the Internet so it could be done.

If you’ve your own useless (and slightly ludicrous) idea, dont be ashamed, add it here😀!

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

IIRC, there were several a/c in FSX that had that capability. I'm thinking the Aerosoft Catalina or some other older a/c. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

How about a subscription-based "scratch and sniff" pack? On a monthly basis, MS mails you a little collection of tabs bearing different smells associated with a particular flight plan. Different kinds of fuel, oil, rubber, grass, exhaust, etc. So, for each phase of flight, a scent to go with it. Call the thing aScent.  As a real as it gets. 😄

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

IIRC, there were several a/c in FSX that had that capability. I'm thinking the Aerosoft Catalina or some other older a/c. 

Vic

Was it recordings or real time streaming ? I still have the Cat' somewhere but I didn't use that function. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

20 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

That was (is) a feature of the A2A B-17 - the radio operator tells you he's found something on the radio, and you switch over to the intercom, and he pipes something through.  Period recordings - news, radio features, some Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington.

Would love to have the ability to tune live broadcasts.

Yeah, the idea is to tune to real AM stations in the region you fly, streamed from the internet

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

AM radio in my area seems mostly to be talk radio conspiracy nonsense. Lies which in fact threaten the very lives of some of us.

Edited by sightseer
  • Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

How about being able to hear live ATC or it least AWOS?  This certainly could be streamed via internet.

AWOS would be interesting especially if the new sim had real weather.

Ridiculous request: I'd like a historical mode where you can fly around a world in the 1950s-1970s without modern amenities like GPS. All the radio navigation aids and environment/map would be historically accurate. So Las Vegas would be really small for example. MS would have to hire a team of historians. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Ridiculous request: I'd like a historical mode where you can fly around a world in the 1950s-1970s without modern amenities like GPS. All the radio navigation aids and environment/map would be historically accurate. So Las Vegas would be really small for example. MS would have to hire a team of historians. 

I second this request.  I like to fly vintage aircraft in vintage conditions, which means I have to ignore modern cities and such, but that's not so hard.  It's easier to ignore the GPS.  Make it 1935 to 1965 or so.  1970+ is too modern for my tastes. 😄

Actually, take it back to about 1920 so we can fly airmail.  In open cockpit biplanes.  At night.  With no more navigation aid than lighted beacons every 10 miles or so.  No modern road network but you can follow the rail lines.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 hours ago, domkle said:

This forum is getting a little repetitive and contributions scarcer that they were. Time for something new but I don’t have any bright idea to share so why not something useless and slightly ludicrous  ?

Let’s have it.

NDB emits on the same band than AM radio stations. Wouldn’t it be cool if some FS20 aircraft had an ADF receiver with a voice mode that could get local radio stations where we fly ? Most of them are streamed to the Internet so it could be done.

If you’ve your own useless (and slightly ludicrous) idea, dont be ashamed, add it here😀!

This is really funny, the useless thread!! Ok, how about when you touchdown in a heavy, 787 for example, could we please feel the foundation of our houses shake, and wake up anyone else in the house?? yes, no?? LOL!! Just a useless request!!

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

How about insects and bats flying around all the lights at night - with shadows of course. 🤪😂

• Like 3

A taxi to go from the airport to the hotel...useless of course 😎

Richard

• Like 2

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

41 minutes ago, pracines said:

How about insects and bats flying around all the lights at night - with shadows of course. 🤪😂

That's a good one! What about the ability to fly over the insects and bats, and fog them with insecticide, or replace the bulbs with those yellow BugLight's like I have on my decks? If not, when you pick a parking spot and crack a window or door open, you can get Malaria, and the mission fails??

Mike      

• Like 1

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB