Sign in to follow this  
Highflyer525

Handling Achronyms in P2A

Hey all,

I'm three days into a trial using P2A with X-Plane. Getting on well with it, considering I have to use the US voice recognition engine and I'm British. (Zed not Zee etc. 😉 ) 

However, one point, I suppose you could call it a bug, is the way it (or windows really) handles Acronyms. I find it hard to try and guess whether it's expecting letters or words. For example NDB & ILS are all said as letters, yet VOR is said as the word VOOOOR.

I did some research and apparently this is because when an Acronym has a vowel in it, Text to speech will try and say it rather then spell it. This can be overridden however, by putting full stops between each letter, and at the end of the word too. The full stop at the end of the word is important, otherwise Text to speech will say the full stops too. So VOR become V.O.R. and then it is said V O R by text to speech.

If we could do this with every Acronym, including SIDS, STARS, intersections and others, then at least we'll all know where we stand and we're not left trying to pronounce intersections back that can't be said and we know to use letters regardless.

Other than that, I love the product, great, in depth, accurate. Love it!!!!!

Hope this feedback proves useful.

Cheers,

Edited by Highflyer525
  • Like 1