Sign in to follow this  
clif9710

P2A atc not responding

I've installed P2A for use with Xplane 11, went through the voice training successfully, have used the P2A voice skill building successfully so I know my voice is being recognized (mic is on, etc.) as I can replay and hear myself.

The problem comes when I try to use either the SAY-IT feature or my own voice with PTT.

I have a flight plan filed, I go to a clearance delivery freq for the airport where I am sitting. I pull up the request clearance delivery script for SAY-IT and send it. I get the tone indicating it was received but there is no response from ATC.

If I use my own voice, I do not get the tone indicating I was heard and, of course, there is no ATC response.

Using SAY-IT asking for clearance (VFR in this case) on the listed clearance frequency and getting the acknowledgement tone but no ATC response seems to be the place to start troubleshooting.

I am assuming the volume control for COM1 is that used in XPlane and that there is no handle on that in P2A

I am assuming the P2A is its own ATC and that I don't need the XPlane ATC window open to work with the P2A ATC.

Any thoughts?

Make sure that the Power indicator on the P2A main screen (Bottom Left) is Green.

If not, check to be sure the Radio is on and the Master Battery switch is on.  If they are, then you will need to check the 2 options on the P2A setup tab of config to "Ignore Master Battery Switch" and "Ignore Avionics Switch". 

Dave

Power indicator is green as is CONNECTED. Radio is on, I know because I can tune and hear ATIS.

I still have no response to my PTT attempts, but here is what happens with say-it...

I tune center.

I choose the phrase for initial contact for say-it: "Cessna zero zero seven at one thousand feet" and it appears in gold preceded with a tilde as it should.

I press say-it and robo-female says it correctly

I hear the tone indicating the message is received

There is no audio response but in the communications window, the following appears in green:

Cessna Zero Zero Seven at one thousand feet; 

I believe all of this is correct, the green text is showing what I am sending to center...but there is no response from center.

Edited by clif9710

further information

If I click on the test button under the VOICES tab of configuration, I hear Anna and the text appears in white in the communications window

I also checked the volume settings in Windows for P2A and it is normal.

In the frequency select window for the radios (that has the numeric keypad), I verified that the MUTE button works and is not on.

If you have not taken off and made all the calls leading up to being handed over to Center, then Center might not respond to your call.

Move your aircraft to an airport with controllers and set Ground as your controller.  Then say "Say Altimeter" and see if you get a verbal response.

Dave

Success on both say-it and with my voice. I went to Chicago Midway and got a response from GND to the altimeter request. Now all I have to do is find an alternative to Anna for all voices in order to avoid confusion.

Does this mean that one cannot jump into a situation, but must follow sequence from takeoff through landing? I hope I can create and file a flight plan and get clearance while in the air.

• Like 1

While that is not the "normal" way to do things, if you crash in the middle of a flight, or want to save flights in progress, you can file your plan in the air and make initial contact with the appropriate center controller with an initial call, and that will get you going again. 

You want to make sure your current position in the SIM is on your flight plan route so you are not immediately determined to be off course.  Also, this may or may not work if you are in the middle of an approach, for example.

Thanks for your help. My free trial period is about to end and with the ATC working, I'll bite.