I've been using my ever-faithful MS Sidewinder since, I believe, FS2002. Needless to say, it's been a minute. After nearly 20 years of faithful service, the old girl has earned her retirement. I'm looking for recommendations for replacing the Sidewinder. I fly P3Dv4.x using Windows 10. Not needing anything more complex than the Sidewinder in terms of gadgets; just a good basic stick with similar features. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Brian

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

I presume you mean a non-force feedback stick?

You might want to look at the Thrustmaster HOTAS X - The throttle is more ergonomic than the Sidewinder (it can even separate from the stick), and whilst there appears to be a couple more buttons (and a hat switch), there's not an overwhelming number of features. Here's a typical online shop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Joystick-PS3/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=asc_df_B001CXYMFS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310689469388&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=436946452119093569&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046581&hvtargid=pla-448415607502&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Interesting, I'll take a look. No, I actually did have the force feedback sidewinder years ago but for me it was more a distraction than anything. Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

2 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

Interesting, I'll take a look. No, I actually did have the force feedback sidewinder years ago but for me it was more a distraction than anything. Thanks for the response!

If you are willing to pay that much money for the Thrustmaster HOTAS you schould have a look at this https://virpil-controls.eu/

I have got the VPC Warbird Base and what shall i say?!? Their quality can´t be competed. 

I was looking for a Joystick for my A320 Homecockpit and i was looking for one that is sturdy, precise and real feeling. All of the mechanics of this JS-Base is made of metal with strong springs that can be changed. Very precise and sturdy. For me the best Stick you can buy.

Have in mind, that the mechanics inside the Thrustmaster are all made from plastic.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

MS force feedback with FSforce software. The software transformes the stick

Bought the stick eBay $50 Built like a tank

What a shame there are no new FFB sticks on the market

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

On 9/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, BerndB said:

If you are willing to pay that much money for the Thrustmaster HOTAS

That particular TM HOTAS is 50 bucks. Not even on the same playing field as the VirPil stuff.

I second the 1600m recommendation. Just got one to replace a very old but much-loved Saitek X45. It's better in almost every way. The only downgrade is that the hard plastic isn't as nice to the touch as the rubberized coating on the Saitek's. But the stick feel is much better, and the plethora of controls is excellent. Some of them aren't as convenient to reach as on the Saitek, but then in a real plane you don't have every switch and lever in easy reach on the yoke either. 😉

I also have the T-Flight HOTAS which I bought to replace the Saitek, and it's not nearly as good. It's so not-as-good that I kept using the Saitek for 6 more months despite the throttle having about 50% of its travel as a glitchy dead-zone.

The extra money for the 1600m is well worth it.

Edited by eslader
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, eslader said:

That particular TM HOTAS is 50 bucks. Not even on the same playing field as the VirPil stuff.

Well, it´s only fair to compare "new" not "used" Price. The TM HOTAS is sold here in Germany for arround 375,- EUR. That´s what i´ve compared when i was Looking for a flightstick. Maybe you could find a used VIRPIL on eBay some day. for 50. 😉

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

3 hours ago, BerndB said:

The TM HOTAS is sold here in Germany for arround 375,- EUR.

You're probably thinking of the Warthog HOTAS. The one linked was the T.flight HOTAS, which is a vastly less expensive stick. Thrustmaster has at least 3 different HOTAS sticks out right now.