Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

P3D V4.5 VR Worth It?

Hello everyone! I have a friend who just tried VR in P3D and he LOVED it. I wanted to get your thoughts in seeing if it was worth getting into. I am currently running a 32" 4K monitor with a 1080TI. Would it be worth it to go VR? Also, what headset would you recommend and how is the quality of a headset? 1080p? And what about performance. 

Edited by Le Français

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

VR in P3D is dispointing and you need a 3rd party program to use controlers, otherwise you end up using the mouse for interaction. - A waste of time and money. In X-Plane however it's natively supported,but you might need a stronger CPU - GPU should be fine.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I love it.  For me, the feeling of being inside the flight deck and everything looking true to size, leaning and turning your head to look out the window, as you would in the real world,  out weighs my 49" 4K curved monitor.  Flying a monitor doesn't  feel right anymore. Think of it as being in the simulator instead of just looking at it though a monitor. 

Some simmers may complain about the resolution, but with the Vive Pro, its not bad, and some of the newer units coming out today are even better.  I cannot wait for the technology to get better, and have HMD's that give you the look of a 4k monitor, but I feel that with current technology is at least acceptable. But each to their own. 

I don't use the VR controllers. I use my yoke, throttle quad and rudder petals and the mouse for all the buttons I need to click on. With the HMD on, It becomes muscle memory  to where all my controls are. 

I also use VR with X-plane and DCS World. 

• Upvote 2

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

its 100% worth it, After i experienced a 3d lifesize cockpit in VR I could never bring myself to use a 2d screen again, the first time you try it you will be amazed how different it all looks and feels compared to a 3d monitor, and I was using a 55" screen before I switched.  I would give up simming altogether at this point if I had to give up VR.   Just make sure you have at least a 1080ti if you want any kind of clarity with good fps.  I would recommend the Vive pro or the Odyssey because of the OLED screens, the OLED on the older rift and the LCD screens of the other headsets cannot produce true blacks which are important for dark night flying.  I also find it very easy to use the mouse in VR just as I did with 2d, even programming the FMC.     

Edited by Pilot53
  • Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

With the Rift CV1 I gave up on P3D as it was abysmal! With the Rift S however it made P3D a player again. It's not all roses though. Mostly I have controls set to hardware. Throttles, switches etc. You have to know exactly where all your controllers are and you use a kind of braille. You DO get used to it. Pop-up windows such as GPS and A2A's management windows can't be got at and that can be a bit of a pain at times. But overall things aren't so bad that I would go back to pancake vision.

I've just noticed Mike's comment about programming the FMC. I must have a setting malfunction somewhere because the mouse is way too ponderous to programme an FMC. Oh wait a moment, I don't fly planes with FMCs :smile:

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks everyone! What is the current res of headsets?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I have been using an Acer WMR headset of the first generation with Prepar3d as well as AeroflyFS2, and find me more and more preferrring it, even though owning a hardware panel and widescreen monitor. VR is just so much closer to sitting in a real plane.

I am thinking to switch to a HP Reverb at some point (christmas?), as suggested by the linked contribution by Claus above. The Reverb seems to be an excellent solution, notably for flightsim these days.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'v changed my rifts for a new reverb.

I've still not tried the P3d but with DCS and IL2 it's wonderful. I can clearly read every switch, see any contact and use every screen.

I will try with P3D next weekend!

Miguel Leandro

I’m lucky in that as well as simming I get to fly as a job. I’ve said this before but the best way I can describe the VR experience is to imagine simming with a monitor on a scale at zero and sat flying a real aircraft at 10. I’d say flying in VR on that same scale would come in at least at 6, ie it’s more like real world flying than it is simming sat in front of a monitor. It’s almost like it should have its own name because it’s not like simming as you know it. It’s a bit like the film Tron, you sit for years looking at this fantastic flight sim world on your monitor, then the first time you put on a headset you’re actually inside and part of this world, it just blows your mind.

The better the scenery and aircraft,the better the experience, P3D can at times look a little cartoon like if you’re not careful with your selection, but things that go low and slow with big windows and big analog gauges,such as the Just flight tomahawk are fantastic.

That fact that you’re wearing a headset also removes you from the distractions of your real environment and you get completely absorbed.

I’m also finding that the memories I generate flying in VR seem to register as real life events in my head, as though I really have flown inverted in an F/A18 10,000ft over Las Vegas ,strange really.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

It is worth it, but the experience in XP11 is *much* better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I used the Rift for some time but finally gave it up due to the resolution (low) issues, though I really enjoyed the experience. Natural head movement truly added to the realism, allowing a level of awareness inside and out not achievable via monitor. Even when using the mouse to operate switches, being able to "navigate" the entire cockpit via head movement was a huge boost.

I just moved to the Index and was truly amazed at the resolution increase- no more screen door effect, text was readable at greater distances, and the hardware was a pleasant surprise. Performance was a non-issue, something that concerned me on my ageing i7 and 1080ti. 

The interface with the cockpit and keyboard is the weak link, but for me the experience with VR was worthwhile despite its bumps. 

• Upvote 1

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

It is worth it, but the experience in XP11 is *much* better.

I thought it would be. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.