Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

P3D V4.5 VR Worth It?

I've returned my Oculus Rift after one week of tweaking P3D and my machine. Went back to a monitor and TrackIR, this thing isn't ready yet, unless you accept mediocre resolution. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

14 hours ago, Drumcode said:

I've returned my Oculus Rift after one week of tweaking P3D and my machine. Went back to a monitor and TrackIR, this thing isn't ready yet, unless you accept mediocre resolution. 

Have you tried the most recent devices? The Rift S and Index are significantly better. If not, you are just commenting about an outdated piece of tech.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

FWIW,

I’m using a PIMAX 8k with 2 VIVE lighthouse base stations for full head movement. (Pretty cool walking around in the cockpit)

Clarity is improving constantly with new technologies both in software and hardware.

Be prepared to keep updating as the improvements develop.  The pleasure is worth it. 

The resolution is acceptable nowadays and I have the super sampling scale wound up in steamVR settings as far as my 2080ti will go without causing stutters. I get good clarity.

I doubt you’d be sorry. Its as real as it gets.

• Upvote 1

The immersion is really what makes the VR experience superior. However, both VR goggles I tested (Rift and Odyssey) did not provide enough resolution for my needs. I mean, I spend thousands of dollars to have a decent simming rig including a nice 1440p monitor where I can really enjoy a crisp and clear picture of my P3Dv4.5 and VR basically ruins this instantly. It is just something on a totally other level. For me, I put VR away until there are goggles available where I do not instantly recognize the pixels and where I can easily read the instruments in a cockpit. I guess this will take another two, three years, then I will try again. Eventually...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 minutes ago, AnkH said:

For me, I put VR away until there are goggles available where I do not instantly recognize the pixels and where I can easily read the instruments in a cockpit. 

That is possible today. Again, you are using outdated hardware in your comparison.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I personally think that Rift S plus some supersampling provides enough resolution for P3D, but each to his own.  There is now also the Reverb, which is by many lauded as the best HMD for simming with very clear visuals. I've never tried but it sounds like it would put all doubts based on resolution to rest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, andreh said:

I personally think that Rift S plus some supersampling provides enough resolution for P3D, but each to his own. 

As you say, each to his own, but supersamping does no increase the resolution of the display, it simply reduces jaggies and smoothes out the depiction. But a VR goggle with 1440x1600 per eye (Odyssey) and thus roughly 620ppi does not suddenly provide 1000ppi when using supersampling. And for me, those 620ppi from the Odyssey were still way to little, I was still easily able to see the screen door effect and instruments a little further away in my VC were still an unreadable mess. And no, Pixmax 5K or 8K wont dramatically improve this, they undoubtly offer higher resolution, but also higher FOV resulting in a ppi that is not dramatically higher than with the other VR goggles (Pixmax 8K has around 800ppi).

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/02/int-techs-prototype-2228ppi-display-banishes-the-screen-door-effect/

Roughly 2200ppi seem to be needed to avoid this and offer a really crisp and clear image in VR. And no, this is not yet available...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

True, the screendoor effect is still there in the Rift S. I'm just not bothered by it. And I can see all the text on PMDG displays. I think the 3D immersion more than compensates for the reduction in image quality compared to a screen. But like I say, each to his own. You don't have to get one if you don't want to. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, andreh said:

True, the screendoor effect is still there in the Rift S. I'm just not bothered by it. And I can see all the text on PMDG displays. I think the 3D immersion more than compensates for the reduction in image quality compared to a screen. But like I say, each to his own. You don't have to get one if you don't want to. 🙂

I think it's important to make your own test to make up your mind, and not only for a quick 10 min at an exhibition booth but for an extended period. You can read reports over and over, but you'll have to see what it is like and judge yourself.

Given I have a nice hardware panel, I was sceptical, too. This way I was happy I was given a headset by one of my sons for some days, and after logging a few hours in AeroflyFS2 and Prepar3d I knew I will like it, despite the (indeed too) low resolution yet. I can read gauges and such, but GPS map displays can be marginal.

With this background, I look forward to a 2nd generation device, supposedly the Reverb, maybe as a christmas gift.🙂

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Gave up because of the resolution. The image quality is not there. I am on a 49`` Curved Samsung C49RG9. Amazing. The field of view is bigger then my Odyssey. Plus no more spilling my coffee trying to reach my throttle.

Vincent

• Upvote 1

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

7 minutes ago, pmb said:

I think it's important to make your own test to make up your mind, and not only for a quick 10 min at an exhibition booth but for an extended period

I also suspect a lot people who militantly say NO! to VR gave up too quickly, especially with flightsims which takes a lot tinkering to get right, even without VR.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, andreh said:

I also suspect a lot people who militantly say NO! to VR gave up too quickly, especially with flightsims which takes a lot tinkering to get right, even without VR.

If you have family and very limited time, sometimes there's not time for tweaking or any other nonsense which isn't at least close to plug and play. 

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

VR in P3D is ok but coming from Xplane 11 VR, P3D VR needs work. You need 3rd party software called Flyinside to be able to use the VR controllers in P3D and its a pain in the but to use them to manipulate switches and knobs and buttons. I did the flyinside trail for P3D the other day and was not impressed. VR in Xplane 11 is so much easier and better. You can rotate knobs and flip switches. In Flyinside for P3D, you hover the virtual index finger over a button or switch and do a drag action kinda like you would using a mouse cursor. It was annoying as hell. Hopefully Lockheed steps it up a bit in the VR department. The only reason I still have P3D installed on my PC is because I  spent quite a bit of cash for the PMDG 737, 747 and the 777.

Do any of you wear prescription glasses? How does VR work with that? Can you continue to wear your glasses when using the headset?

Thx!

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

3 hours ago, pgde said:

Do any of you wear prescription glasses? How does VR work with that? Can you continue to wear your glasses when using the headset?

Thx!

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

• Like 1