Sign in to follow this  
av8r13

Exceptionally long load times

Hello,

i recently had to uninstall then reinstall several scenery files, including all of my Orbx files (i have most of them).

now a new problem. my load times into the sim are now 30-45 minutes. almost all of this time is taken between the 70-80% part of the load which cooresponds with "loading auto generated scenery"

i have lowered my auto gen options but it has not helped.

any reason for the rediculous load times?

David Myers

Hi David,

• Did you install OrbX Central 4?
  • Did you migrate your OrbX sceneries out of P3D?
  • Did you install OrbX Global outside P*D?
  • Please give more details about what you have done with your OrbX products, if this long loading time happened after you re-install OrbX products then look no further something is messed up in you scenery.cfg file and some priorities are not correct creating this slow processing of all your scenery files by P3D, but we would need to see it to guide you, and understand what actions you have taken before you had this problem.

My personal advice if you have done any of the above, would be to (1) un-install all your OrbX products and (2) re-install FTX Central v3 then (3) re-install all your OrbX products within P3D, (you will have every opportunity to use Central v4 once it is finally fully operational). Your loading times will - should -  be back to normal. I had this very same problem after using one of the first iteration of the infamous Central v4 and had to do exactly that, I am now back to normal loading times within less that one to three minutes depending on the complexity of the chosen scenery.

Good luck.

Edited by Jean-Claude

thanks Jean-Claude. please see my answers below in red...

• Did you install OrbX Central 4?
    • I did, but uninstalled and went back to v3
  • Did you migrate your OrbX sceneries out of P3D?
    • i had started to, but uninstalled all products and went back to everything installed inside P3D
  • Did you install OrbX Global outside P*D?
    • ORBX library and the new Buildings HD are installed outside as there was not an option to install inside. could these 2 be the problem?
  • Please give more details about what you have done with your OrbX products, if this long loading time happened after you re-install OrbX products then look no further something is messed up in you scenery.cfg file and some priorities are not correct creating this slow processing of all your scenery files by P3D, but we would need to see it to guide you, and understand what actions you have taken before you had this problem.
Edited by av8r13

David Myers

I would start by deleting the Shaders folder and the prepar3d.cfg file and letting P3D rebuild them.

Bert

well, i deleted shaders and the p3d.cfg file. unfortunately it did not solve anything.

i also removed orbx buildings HD and reduced the auto gen options. this had only a very small effect on the load times.

very frustrating. i never had problems until upgrading to 4.5. i have done nothing but tweak trying to fix one problem only to create new ones.

would love anyone's advice for these long load times

David Myers

David, can you check in your Documents, P3D Add-on files if by any chance you have any OrbX xml files still there (in particular for Objects), this is exactly what happened to me, there were two files that had been left over after I un-installed all my OrbX stuff after the Central 4 fiasco and I was - like you - experiencing long scenario loading times since P3D was trying to find those files that had been deleted but with remaining xml. Once I removed them, I was back to normal loading times. Make sure you scrutinise all places where the previous OrbX Central 4 were (I cant be more precise because I am not near my PC), I had to manually search and eliminate all files related to Central 4 that were not removed. I would bet this is your problem, not so much your Autogen.

In case you dont have it, please download this excellent freeware available here Lorby P4AO, this will assist you in finding wrong scenery paths and correct them, this is what saved my day.

Edited by Jean-Claude

5 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

In case you dont have it, please download this excellent freeware available here Lorby P4AO, this will assist you in finding wrong scenery paths and correct them, this is what saved my day.

Incorrect or missing scenery paths are one of the 2 most common causes of long load times. Large amounts of AI aircraft are another...but missing scenery paths have the bigger negative impact.

Edited by yurei
  • Like 1

thanks Jean-Claude and Yurei,

Jean Claude:

under "Documents, P3D Add-on files" i have:

- OLC_NA_LIGHTS, OLC_NA1 and OLC_NA2 folders. all 3 have .xml files in them

in addition, there is a "Orbx ObjectFlow 2" folder with .xml files

also, there is still an ORBX folder directly under documents (not in the P3D add-on folder). does this belong there?

Yurei,

i have the Lorby program. i do not see any obvious errors. how would i check for missing scenery paths?

David Myers

yeah same, its been like that after several scenery.cfg and addons,xml rebuilds for the past 12mths or more, its the fact that the scenery indexes and temp simobjects are checked each time on load up, it doesnt help me having 650mb in my external addons, with 800 odd mb in my main folder and 10s 0f 1000s of simbojects including AI

these days I start up, go make a coffee,have a smoke, potter around then go back to the pc, ive learnt to live it

every suggestion people have made the past 2yrs, nothing makes one difference, and as i add another add on, its slows down that lil bit more

Edited by jeansy

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

ORBX Objectflow 2 is also present in my P3D Documents Add-on files with xmls, so I would not touch these as their path relates to FTX v3.

However, I do not have the other folders you mention and I would first open the xml in Notepad to see if their path includes FTX or not, if not, move them outside the Add-on files to see if they are the culprits. If it works that way, they can be eliminated later on.

To detect wrong paths with Lorby P4AO, check on the scenery list if any of your scenery is shown in pink, if so, verify what the link is and if there is an error, you can see which scenery you have to de-activate within P4AO, it will then turn red. Most likely those three files you have listed above should be shown in pink since the xml would relate to a non existing file, hence your loading times.

Edited by Jean-Claude

2 hours ago, jeansy said:

yeah same, its been like that after several scenery.cfg and addons,xml rebuilds for the past 12mths or more, its the fact that the scenery indexes and temp simobjects are checked each time on load up, it doesnt help me having 650mb in my external addons, with 800 odd mb in my main folder and 10s 0f 1000s of simbojects including AI

Matt, you may like to keep it that way, but since it is an abnormal loading time of P3D linked to a scenery.cfg file that would need some clean-up, it is really up to you to rectify it, David's problem is related to the ORBX Central install/uninstall problem and has no connection with your situation. What you describe cannot be considered as normal with P3Dv4.5, for starters, do you have Default Terrain as your very first file on your scenery.cfg as active? 

Did you check the priorities of your meshes, ORBX products, add-on airports (with and without xml, LC files position and are you satisfied they are in the correct order of priorities? Where does your P3D loading freeze, at 6 or 70%, that would shed some light on the probable cause.

Thanks all,

as a short term solution, i am disabling most of the items in the add-on library and only loading what i need for individual flights. a bit of pain in the rear, but it has gotten the load times back down to 3-4 minutes and also allows me to troubleshoot. i will activate a few more each time I load and see if one entry is the culprit.

will report back if i discover anything

david

Edited by av8r13
language

David Myers

1 hour ago, av8r13 said:

Thanks all,

as a short term solution, i am disabling most of the items in the add-on library and only loading what i need for individual flights. a bit of pain in the rear, but it has gotten the load times back down to 3-4 minutes and also allows me to troubleshoot. i will activate a few more each time I load and see if one entry is the culprit.

will report back if i discover anything

david

I use SimStarter NG to divide my scenery addons into 4 areas, activating only the area(s) needed for current flight. 

20 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

Matt, you may like to keep it that way, but since it is an abnormal loading time of P3D linked to a scenery.cfg file that would need some clean-up, it is really up to you to rectify it, David's problem is related to the ORBX Central install/uninstall problem and has no connection with your situation. What you describe cannot be considered as normal with P3Dv4.5, for starters, do you have Default Terrain as your very first file on your scenery.cfg as active? 

Did you check the priorities of your meshes, ORBX products, add-on airports (with and without xml, LC files position and are you satisfied they are in the correct order of priorities? Where does your P3D loading freeze, at 6 or 70%, that would shed some light on the probable cause.

no freezing during flight loading, its only when i start p3d, yes i have orbx and most of their addons,  plus many more addons, like i said the more you add to external addons, the slower it gets, the more simobjects the slower it gets

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA