Sign in to follow this  
fsx76

Parking brakes don't work no matter what key or button I assign.

I assigned the number pad Enter for my brakes to set on all aircraft. I am using the box edition of 
FSX Gold. Windows 7, and everything has always worked. Now I press the button and no brakes. I tried to reassign it to various other keys 

and nothing happens. I can manually click on the aircraft brakes and they apply and turn off.

Also, I no longer hear my GSX ground sounds. I can hear all FSX sounds such as engines, ATC, etc but GSX no longer makes sounds.

I upgraded my system from 4 cores to 8, I changed my NVIDIA 750 to an NVIDIA 1060, and I changed my standard Hard Drive to a SSD.

Don't know why that would affect anything. I did monkey around with the config. file a little but nothing on brakes or sound.

1 hour ago, fsx76 said:

I am using the box edition of 
FSX Gold.

It looks like you're not using a pre-release version of MFS, so you'd probably do better asking in the FSX forum.

Ian Box

Maybe you monkeyed around with the FSX.cfg a little too much.  Cut and paste your FSX.cfg somewhere safe and restart your Sim to create a new one.  See if that returns things to normal.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

5 hours ago, fsx76 said:

I assigned the number pad Enter for my brakes to set on all aircraft. I am using the box edition of 
FSX Gold. Windows 7, and everything has always worked. Now I press the button and no brakes. I tried to reassign it to various other keys 

and nothing happens. I can manually click on the aircraft brakes and they apply and turn off.

Also, I no longer hear my GSX ground sounds. I can hear all FSX sounds such as engines, ATC, etc but GSX no longer makes sounds.

I upgraded my system from 4 cores to 8, I changed my NVIDIA 750 to an NVIDIA 1060, and I changed my standard Hard Drive to a SSD.

Don't know why that would affect anything. I did monkey around with the config. file a little but nothing on brakes or sound.

Welcome to the forum!

Just so you're aware, FSX Gold is a package rather than a product.  It contains two products, FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration.  While not identifying the sim in this case doesn't matter, it may well in the future, so it's best to actually name the sim you're using.

Also, FSX Steam Edition (FSX:SE) is a far better update of FSX Acceleration with improved performance. It's also available as a one-click installation and can often by purchased for only $5 on Steam.  It's what I recommend.  I also recommend removing FSX if you decide to go with FSX:SE.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

5 hours ago, fsx76 said:

Check the axis assignments for every controller listed in the FSX Controls page...FSX has a tendency to auto-assign an axis on newly-detected controllers to brakes, creating a conflict.

On the sounds, go into Control Panel -> Sounds, select the communications tab, and make sure that "do nothing" is ticked.  The Windows default is to reduce the volume 80% for secondary applications accessing the sound system, making programs like GSX and ATC add-ons become extremely weak or not heard at all.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just now, DaveCT2003 said:

Welcome to the forum!

Just so you're aware, FSX Gold is a package rather than a product.  It contains two products, FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration.  While not identifying the sim in this case doesn't matter, it may well in the future, so it's best to actually name the sim you're using.

Also, FSX Steam Edition (FSX:SE) is a far better update of FSX Acceleration with improved performance. It's also available as a one-click installation and can often by purchased for only $5 on Steam.  It's what I recommend.  I also recommend removing FSX if you decide to go with FSX:SE.

To add to this, if you decide to go with Steam, consider re-installing Windows first so that you begin with no registry entries for FSX...FSX:SE works a whole lot better if there are no leftovers from the boxed edition in the Windows registry.

When I do a new build I always make a disk image of Windows in its virgin state, with nothing installed, so i can quickly go back without all the hassles of a complete re-install.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 minute ago, w6kd said:

When I do a new build I always make a disk image of Windows in its virgin state, with nothing installed, so i can quickly go back without all the hassles of a complete re-install.

Microsoft actually recommends against this due to the frequent updates, but will tell you that if you still want to do this, to do so after the major fall updates.

3 minutes ago, w6kd said:

To add to this, if you decide to go with Steam, consider re-installing Windows first so that you begin with no registry entries for FSX...FSX:SE works a whole lot better if there are no leftovers from the boxed edition in the Windows registry.

One can also use one of many freeware registry tools that will search for entries and allow you to delete them wholesale. One such popular tool is WinUtilities, but there are many others.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Microsoft actually recommends against this due to the frequent updates, but will tell you that if you still want to do this, to do so after the major fall updates.

One can also use one of many freeware registry tools that will search for entries and allow you to delete them wholesale. One such popular tool is WinUtilities, but there are many others.

Restoring Windows after one of their botched dysfunctional forced updates is one of the very reasons I make regular backups!

In my experience, the registry cleaners/editors--especially the freeware ones--are a really hit and miss proposition.  Lots of registry entries are not obvious as to what they do, and sometimes those registry cleaners booger-up other things by removing entries that are still needed by other software.  GIven that the OP has just rebuilt Rome, he might not have so much installed and configured that a fresh reinstall wouldn't be simpler (and certainly more foolproof)...

Regards

Many Thanks to all who took the time to give me recommendations. I have a lot of add-ons such as ORBX, and U.S. Mesh, scenery, many REX, QW 757, etc... that were intended for FSX, Alabeo Chieftan, Just Flight Arrow and Warrior, and I don't think they will transfer to the Steam edition.

The outside of my FSX set says Gold edition but it came with three CDs. The third one says Acceleration so I guess I have Acceleration. I have spent a month trying to get everything back to where it was and was hoping for a great improvement with the hardware updates but it didn't happen. 

My suspicion is that it is related to some unwanted Windows updates or something I did with the FSX Config. File. I made the basic adds such as HighMemFix=1 kind of stuff, but I need to take a harder look at that.

All future suggestions are welcome, I will let everyone know if I figure out what went wrong. Thanks again!

Edited by fsx76

On 9/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, fsx76 said:

FSX Gold. Windows 7, and everything has always worked. Now I press the button and no brakes.

Try turning off Num Lock on your keyboard and see if the parking brakes cooperates now.  Certain MSFS keypad controls require Num Lock to be turned off.  As a reminder the default parking brake setting is CTRL and period (.).

Edited by BF Bullpup

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

On 9/11/2019 at 5:53 AM, w6kd said:

Check the axis assignments for every controller listed in the FSX Controls page...FSX has a tendency to auto-assign an axis on newly-detected controllers to brakes, creating a conflict.

This.
I've had issues with automatic/dynamic axis and button reassignment, but have had it occur for FSX axis and buttons other than just brakes. From my trouble-shooting, I've learned it's not entirely a FSX problem and is partly due to how USB device IDs are managed under Win7. I recently purchased a new gaming keypad and after its installation on Win7 64 Ultimate, had my axis and button mappings dynamically reassigned in FSX:SE, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, Elite Dangerous and ArmA 3. Simulations of different genres, but all sims that allow axis and button assignments from multiple USB devices. The worst of it, is that it can occur when one of the devices mapped by a game is disconnected (connected to a powered USB HUB that's powered down too) when the game is started. 

So if you disconnected any of your USB devices when you upgraded your PC and didn't have all of them connected back the next time your ran FSX, I'd recommend checking FSX Settings > Controls. Check every controller type (even ones you never mapped an axis or button too) for their button/keys and control axes assignments and delete any unexpected buttons or axis mappings. As w6kd mentioned, be particularly on the lookout for any assignment for the Brake left axis & Brake right axis.