Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

Float Plane Recommendations?

I do a lot of bush piloting in FSX:SE and I'm looking to acquire some addon Floatplanes. Currently I have the stock float and amphib's (DHC-2 Beaver and Gruman Goose) that come with game, plus the Carenado Cessna Stationair and some oddball amphibs like the Republic Seabee and the Aerodyne Searey. What I really need is some larger airplanes that can haul much more cargo. I love the Stationair and it's probably the plane I fly more than any other. It does lack some features though such as a full AP and is light on cargo capacity.

I've been eyeing these: Lionheart's Quest Kodiak, Milviz's DHC-3T Turbo Otter, Aerosoft's DHC-6 Twin Otter Extended. I've read that that Aerosoft Twin Otter has a bit of a quirky flight model, so I'm wondering if there's any other competing Twin Otter out there? If anyone can give me some feedback on those addons I listed, or mention any others you know are quality, I'd love to hear about them?

Edited by Kronovan

22 hours ago, Kronovan said:

I've been eyeing these: Lionheart's Quest Kodiak, Milviz's DHC-3T Turbo Otter, Aerosoft's DHC-6 Twin Otter Extended. I've read that that Aerosoft Twin Otter has a bit of a quirky flight model, so I'm wondering if there's any other competing Twin Otter out there? If anyone can give me some feedback on those addons I listed, or mention any others you know are quality, I'd love to hear about them?

I would agree with Bert’s suggestion of the Kodiak - it really is a bit of an unsung gem of an aircraft!

I have the Aerosoft Twin Otter and it is a favourite of mine. Although I mainly fly the wheeled versions, I can’t say that I ever noticed any quirky issues with the flight model but, as I have never flown one in the real world, perhaps I am not seeing something that a pilot with real life experience on this type would notice. There are, to my knowledge, no better competing Twin Otters available however.

With regard the the Milviz DHC-3T, this is a brilliant aircraft, but it comes with a very heavy VAS footprint, so if you regularly fly using highly detailed VAS intensive scenery in FSX/FSX-SE, then you may need to take some active measures to avoid OOMs, such as using a scenery configurator to deactivate scenery you are not using and/or moving some of your sliders to the left. However it is a great aircraft and it possible, with care, to use it for example with products such as Orbx Pacific Northwest and Southern Alaska.

Bill

Many thanks for the feedback. I did some further reading on the Aerosoft Twin Otter and the reviews were more favorable than those I'd read earlier; especially regarding the FM. So I'm thinking I'll make the Kodiak and Twin Otter my next purchases.

That's good to know about the Milviz Otter. Currently I'm only running UTX Canada, but I mostly bush pilot n BC, so that scenery's footprint is felt in most of my flying. I've done some optimizing and made a few compromizes with it, to the extent that most addons with a heavy footprint don't bring my simming PC to its knees. That said, my PC is far from leading edge, so I do remain cautious about purchases.

13 hours ago, Kronovan said:

That's good to know about the Milviz Otter. Currently I'm only running UTX Canada, but I mostly bush pilot n BC, so that scenery's footprint is felt in most of my flying. I've done some optimizing and made a few compromizes with it, to the extent that most addons with a heavy footprint don't bring my simming PC to its knees. That said, my PC is far from leading edge, so I do remain cautious about purchases.

My PC, likewise, is far from state of the art but it can cope with the Milviz DHC3T and the performance of this aircraft is smooth with acceptable frame rates. Indeed if you are only using UTX Canada, then I wouldn’t expect you to have any problems using the DHC3T. Using it with some of the Orbx regions or with VAS intensive airports however does require a bit more care, but is still possible to enjoy it without hitting that annoying 4GB VAS limit that plagues 32-bit sims such as FSX. Unfortunately a high VAS footprint is an almost inevitable consequence of combining beautiful visual detail with a superb level of systems replication in aircraft such as the Milviz DHC3T.

I think however that you will also be pleased with your choice of the Kodiak and Twin Otter and I have no doubt both will keep you happy for many hours!

Bill

Edited by scianoir

Thanks for the link Spokes. As I mentioned above, I do like amphibs and have some odd 2-seaters like the Seabee and Searey. I do like the larger amphibs too - couldn't fly them for a while as I run Accu-feel, but I've learned to tweak down the water drag setting to enable them to take off.  I registered on the site and are downloading that Mallard.  😊

Wow that Grumman Mallard is impressive - very nicely detailed and modeled! The 1st time I flew it I was a bit too eager and reckless and disregarded the weight & balance warning that popped up. So I couldn't get speed above 60 KIAS and power boated it all around Vancouver harbor and Burrard inlet - doh! I then realized I was full of fuel and there's no way I was going to lift that duck off the drink. Once lightened up and balanced it flies like a charm, even with a bit of Accu-feel water drag.  I can see  myself putting in a lot of stick-time with it.  😉

• Like 1

Have a look at Premier Aircraft Design, they offer a wide range of Beavers, theire 3D cockpits might not be the best but they work and the planes are free.

Berlopez