Sign in to follow this  
Highflyer525

Pilot2ATC Network PTT Sender/Receiver apps

Hi all,

I'm new to Pilot2ATC but I could see an instant need to be able to send joystick commands from my Sim machine to my Laptop where P2A reside. I'm an X-Plane user. I wasn't really up for paying for anymore software so I've written a couple of programs that basically run on each computer and then allow the transmission of a PTT and SayIt button over to the client machine running P2A.

You can download a copy here.

It's very basic, not very pretty, but it's only a quick fix to solve a personal problem, but judging by the size of the pinned P2A networking thread, I'm not the only one so I thought I'd share!! 🙂

All instructions are contained within the readme, I've only done minimal testing, but it works perfectly on my rig. Any feedback or bugs can be reported back to me here. You'll need to make sure you have .NET 4.7.2 installed as well.

@Dave-Pilot2ATC, I take it it's OK for me to share .EXEs on here?

Any questions, let me know.

Cheers,

Mark.

P.s. Only tested on Windows 10

Edited by Highflyer525
  • Like 4

Thanks Mark!

I’ll give it a go this weekend and report back. I never made it work for xplane only for FSX. The FSX PC runs Win7 and the remote P2A PC runs Win10. 

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

On 9/12/2019 at 5:30 AM, joelpacheco said:

Thanks Mark!

I’ll give it a go this weekend and report back. I never made it work for xplane only for FSX. The FSX PC runs Win7 and the remote P2A PC runs Win10. 

OK great, I've just tested it across a Windows 7 / Window 10 setup and it worked perfectly.

Good luck,

Mark.

Can't edit my original comment now, but I've already made some changes, that'll probably be it unless anyone has any requests.

It became obvious yesterday that I really needed to be able to assign the PTT and 'Say it' buttons to different controllers. I also wanted the proper name of the controllers to appear in the drop down menus. Now you can and now it does. Welcome to 1.1 🙂

Please use original link.

Version History
---------------
V1.1 - 13/09/2019
* Added controller names in drop down menu rather than generic names
* Added the ability to assign the PTT and 'Say it' buttons to different controllers
* Added menu strip with about and exit menus

V1.0 Initial Release - 11/09/2019

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

Today I had a chance to try the tools you created. Did a short flight with both FSX and XPlane and it worked perfect. The setup process was very simple. I had to disable the firewall in the remote P2A PC (Win10) but it was simple. I think it is perfect as is. Thanks a lot for sharing!

The only issue I found is that I had P2A set to operate PTT with F12 key, and that key is not an option in your program. I had it set for F12 because I don’t know how to set a different key in FSUIPC. I will need to change the setting if I use FSUIPC with FSX. Not a big deal.

Joel

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

23 hours ago, joelpacheco said:

The only issue I found is that I had P2A set to operate PTT with F12 key, and that key is not an option in your program. I had it set for F12 because I don’t know how to set a different key in FSUIPC. I will need to change the setting if I use FSUIPC with FSX. Not a big deal.

Hi @joelpacheco,

Great, glad it worked OK for you and thanks for the feedback. As it happens, I've also had a requirement to add some more 'non-standard' keys, as I use my laptop for flight planning as well, and whatever character you enable as the hot key in P2A then stops working in other apps as P2A is obviously listening for it.

So based on my need and now yours, I've updated the PTT Receiver to present a much more comprehensive choice of keys, including function and other 'special' keys to keep it out the way of the standard alphanumeric keys.

See how you get on with 1.3, same link in original post.

Cheers,

Mark.

Version History
---------------
V1.3 - 16/09/2019
* Added a more comprehensive list of keyboard keys to select from in PTT receiver

V1.2 - 14/09/2019
* Fixed bug where pressing set for controller 2 highlighted wrong button box

V1.1 - 13/09/2019
* Added controller names in drop down menu rather than generic names
* Added the ability to assign the PTT and 'Say it' buttons to different controllers
* Added menu strip with about and exit menus

V1.0 Initial Release - 11/09/2019

Hi Mark,

Just tried your program and it works great but (there's always one!) I found that it doesn't work with joystick controllers that have buttons permanently pressed.  I have a Honeycomb flight yoke and it uses some joystick buttons as switches, this means some buttons are always on eg. Avionics power switch is either button 13 pressed (OFF) or button 14 pressed (ON).  I can successfully assign my desired PTT button (1) on the Honeycomb and on your application however it doesn't respond on the client (receiver) app. nor to P2ATC.  If I use a joystick that doesn't have any buttons pressed by default such as my Warthog Joystick, it responds perfectly on the client and P2ATC. 

Is this a function that can be implemented in your app?

Regards,

Ken.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:21 AM, Kennair said:

Hi Mark,

Just tried your program and it works great but (there's always one!) I found that it doesn't work with joystick controllers that have buttons permanently pressed.  I have a Honeycomb flight yoke and it uses some joystick buttons as switches, this means some buttons are always on eg. Avionics power switch is either button 13 pressed (OFF) or button 14 pressed (ON).  I can successfully assign my desired PTT button (1) on the Honeycomb and on your application however it doesn't respond on the client (receiver) app. nor to P2ATC.  If I use a joystick that doesn't have any buttons pressed by default such as my Warthog Joystick, it responds perfectly on the client and P2ATC. 

Is this a function that can be implemented in your app?

Regards,

Ken.

Hi @Kennair,

Snap! Got my Honeycomb last week as well. Found exactly them same issue, I'd put a quick fix in place to get it working, I'll look at making it more user friendly this afternoon then I'll release an update. 

Watch this space, probably be a couple of hours. 

Cheers,

Mark.

P.s. The update is now available on X-Plane.Org.

Edited by Highflyer525

You're an absolute legend Mark, great customer support.  Your app brings P2ATC alive on a network.

Ken.

• Like 1

Oh No, where's it gone? 😞

I was very interested but the link doesn't work for me.

Regards Kym H

Thanks very much Andy,

I did see the link above my post but got a 404 error twice so thought it must have been removed so I gave up 🙂.

Best Regards,

Kym H