Sign in to follow this  
nas123

My new PC build for MS2020

My PC spec for P3Dv4.5 is:

ASUS Z170 Gaming Pro, I7 6700K OC'd to 4.5GHz, 16Gb RAM@2134 MHz, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 Gb, 4 x Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb SSD

My planned spec for next PC for P3Dv5 and MS2020:

GigaByte Z390 Auros Pro, I9 9900KS@5.0/5.1 GHz, 16Gb RAM@3600MHz.MSI RTX Gaming X 8Gb, Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Samsung 860 2TB  SSD

My BIG question is:

As the build has a new CPU with 2 times the number of cores and threads than the old CPU and also a faster motherboard with faster Memory, faster video card and faster M.2 SSD,

one should think (in theory) that the performance running P3D and MS2020 should be twice as good in FSP and fluidity.

But what should I expect in real performance?

1.2 better or more?  

Or should I just wait for the next Intel I10 CPU generation coming next year(hopefully before MS2020 is released)? and also the new RTX 3080? 

Edited by nas123

I would wait for game release and see what I need in order to get max performance. Since that moment is a bit further from now, I'd wait. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nas123 said:

My PC spec for P3Dv4.5 is:

ASUS Z170 Gaming Pro, I7 6700K OC'd to 4.5GHz, 16Gb RAM@2134 MHz, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 Gb, 4 x Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb SSD

My planned spec for next PC for P3Dv5 and MS2020:

GigaByte Z390 Auros Pro, I9 9900KS@5.0/5.1 GHz, 16Gb RAM@3600MHz.MSI RTX Gaming X 8Gb, Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Samsung 860 2TB  SSD

My BIG question is:

As the build has a new CPU with 2 times the number of cores and threads than the old CPU and also a faster motherboard with faster Memory, faster video card and faster M.2 SSD,

one should think (in theory) that the performance running P3D and MS2020 should be twice as good in FSP and fluidity.

But what should I expect in real performance?

1.2 better or more?  

Or should I just wait for the next Intel I10 CPU generation coming next year(hopefully before MS2020 is released)? and also the new RTX 3080? 

I'd up the RAM to at least 32GB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 minute ago, eaim said:

I'd up the RAM to at least 32GB.

Ditto. I don't have the strongest system (specs below), but one of the best things I did was make sure this current system has 32 GB system RAM.

It actually gets used in XP11 with the UHD terrain mesh, and provides great overhead for running other stuff in the background with both flight sims and games. Even if the new MSFS doesn't end up using more than 16 GB (and it really should as a modern sim), you'll appreciate the added overhead for background processes so everything runs smoothly. RAM isn't very expensive these days.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I woudn't upgrade until the game is out and some patches have been released, or at least until the usual streamers (which have public computer specs usually) are using it so you know what the performance is like with certain configurations

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

6 minutes ago, france89 said:

I woudn't upgrade until the game is out and some patches have been released, or at least until the usual streamers (which have public computer specs usually) are using it so you know what the performance is like with certain configurations

I'm starting to really feel the need to upgrade my rig, however I know the sensible thing is to hold off until at least a years time, after all I'll know what specs are required and in a year i'll get more for my money. It makes sense.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

At the very least it doesn’t make sense to upgrade your gpu - the next gen Nvidia cards should be quite a nice jump I think, based on a more mature rtx implementation and increased competition from the red team. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

Whatever you buy now will be very old and outdated by the time MSFS gets released. Who knows MSFS uses some option that isn't even available yet today! So wait. That's what I am doing. 

Do this. Wait, save money and prepare. 

Then when it's time, drop the cash on PC Beast. Don't hold back.

21 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

At the very least it doesn’t make sense to upgrade your gpu - the next gen Nvidia cards should be quite a nice jump I think, based on a more mature rtx implementation and increased competition from the red team. 

Agree in theory, but everyone's situation is different. If you're limping along with a GPU that could really use an upgrade right now for things you'll be doing in the next year before MSFS is officially released, and everything else in your rig is good, then I think a GPU upgrade makes sense.

That's my situation anyway. My CPU and RAM is fine, but this GTX 970 GPU is getting long in the tooth. All the flying I'll be doing for the next year in several sims would be better with an upgrade, and so would some of the games I play. So I'm probably going for an RTX 2070 Super in the very near future. That may not be the very best of the best by the time MSFS is released, but it won't suck.

The only thing I'm really giving up is a possible price reduction later on. The way things have been going nuts with GPU pricing in the last year or two, I'm not counting on anything there. 

On 9/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, Paraffin said:

Agree in theory, but everyone's situation is different. If you're limping along with a GPU that could really use an upgrade right now for things you'll be doing in the next year before MSFS is officially released, and everything else in your rig is good, then I think a GPU upgrade makes sense.

That's my situation anyway. My CPU and RAM is fine, but this GTX 970 GPU is getting long in the tooth. All the flying I'll be doing for the next year in several sims would be better with an upgrade, and so would some of the games I play. So I'm probably going for an RTX 2070 Super in the very near future. That may not be the very best of the best by the time MSFS is released, but it won't suck.

The only thing I'm really giving up is a possible price reduction later on. The way things have been going nuts with GPU pricing in the last year or two, I'm not counting on anything there. 

He won’t be though - he has a 1070, which is roughly the same floppowerz as an Xbox 1x. I have a 1070 and I can run 99% of games at 1440p on max, and mainly play games at 4k with a mixture of medium and high settings, hitting 60fps consistently (with a little help from gsync). Buying a 20xx series now when the 30xx series will start coming in a few months would be silly imho. And if the usual sort of trends apply, tomorrow 3070/80 will be the same performance as today’s Titan/2080 ti. 

I was on the verger of buying a new rig until the new SIM was announced.. I see it is being released for Xbox as well as PC,my question is , could it be run on an Xbox the same as a new PC? As I have never used an Xbox I was wondering if you can plug keyboards and joysticks etc into it..If it would work as efficiently as a PC it would save me quite a bit of money as I only use my PC for simming ...

43 minutes ago, Yosserhughes said:

I was on the verger of buying a new rig until the new SIM was announced.. I see it is being released for Xbox as well as PC,my question is , could it be run on an Xbox the same as a new PC? As I have never used an Xbox I was wondering if you can plug keyboards and joysticks etc into it..If it would work as efficiently as a PC it would save me quite a bit of money as I only use my PC for simming ...

The current Xbox supports peripherals, so the upcoming Xbox Scarlett should also, but we don't know to what extent. The downside of buying the upcoming console as a "black box" to run the new MSFS might be the following:

• No way to upgrade as new hardware is available, especially graphics cards. You're locked into years of a static platform until the next Xbox is released. A PC can be upgraded over that same period of time with better hardware, which is why game consoles always fall behind PCs as a gaming platform over the life cycle of each console generation. That said, the new Xbox Scarlett due for release in late 2020 does look like beastly hardware, better than many of us are using as PCs now. 

• It's unknown if the new Xbox will support as many flight sim-related peripherals as a PC, like multiple control inputs, Track IR, Saitek/Logitech instrument panels, and all the rest. Probably no support for multi-screen setups or networked panels like iPads, just a single video output. Of course we don't know how much of that will be supported by MSFS either.

• No word yet (AFAIK) about VR support in the new Xbox. I suspect (with no proof) that it may not be supported because the primary gaming market is large 2D displays at 4k and 8k resolution. VR is still a very niche market for gaming. It's also a moving target with different companies making different systems. A console has fixed hardware that can't easily adapt over the life cycle to different hardware standards. The wild card here, is if Microsoft introduces its own native VR support and branded VR hardware. No word on that yet.

So it might be a good "black box" option for some of us. It will be a while before we know.

Edited by Paraffin

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The current Xbox supports peripherals, so the upcoming Xbox Scarlett should also, but we don't know to what extent. The downside of buying the upcoming console as a "black box" to run the new MSFS might be the following:

Thanks for that, 

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!!