Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Plane lands near my work route

Hey guys,

I missed this on my drive to my practice today, and holy cow!  I am glad that everyone is okay!!!! 

That plane is a Mooney, and I love Moonies (my first GA ride was in a Mooney, hence the love).

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2019/09/small-plane-crash-lands-on-route-50-in-bowie-may-have-hit-car/

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/small-plane-hits-vehicle-on-us-50-in-maryland-injuring-four-officials-say/2019/09/12/f918a0ce-d572-11e9-b00e-9e1a72cc6813_story.html

Be safe out there,

skywolf

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

It caused a major traffic jam for sure and I heard traffic was bad on the 4 PM NBC4 traffic reports.  Looks like it is all open now.

I am confused as to whether they were taking off or landing.  The news reports say they were landing but it appeared to me the fence between the airport and Route 50 was matted down. In the second link you provided, it shows a highway cone and police tape in the area of the fence before Route 50 and the aircraft did end up on the side of the guard rail on the airport side.  Strange they would have come in for a landing so low.  Think they had a problem with the takeoff. 

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It is good to see that those on the ground and in the air were not too seriously hurt.  I had the heartbreak of sitting home while I was working from home more than a decade ago, and I saw a Microlight Crash on TV near Lake Pleasant in Peoria, in far N/NW Phoenix. 

I recognized it immediately as the aircraft owned by the CFI who signed off on my Light Sport license, Jim Blumer.  It took five hours of calling before I found out he and his passenger survived unhurt, and the Dope/Fabric of his beloved Challenger II did its job.  It would have been a perfect engine out landing on Lake Pleasant Highway, but he clipped a roadsign.

https://planecrashmap.com/plane/az/N107BW/

John

Ouch, I guess it is an extremely rare situation to exchange insurance for damages when it come to a collision with an aircraft with a car. Glad no one was hurt

Matthew Kane