Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

September 12th, 2019 Update - Alpha sign-up

The only thing I’m worrying about is whether what we’re seeing now turns out to be unachievable. The downgrade would hit this community hard I think. The witcher 3 is one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever created, but it was still heavily criticised after the graphics in the full game were downgraded from early trailers...

7 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

The only thing I’m worrying about is whether what we’re seeing now turns out to be unachievable. The downgrade would hit this community hard I think. The witcher 3 is one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever created, but it was still heavily criticised after the graphics in the full game were downgraded from early trailers...

It's best to shoot for future hardware now rather than later right? 

7 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

It might not be that bad, as long as a percentage of sim enthusiasts can achieve the full eye candy at smooth frame rates with a high-end computer rig. I don't think they'd be showing these previews if the final game won't look like this, at "recommended" system specs. 

It could be similar to the first Crysis game that had very steep system requirements as a PC game. I remember avoiding it for a year or two, until I upgraded to a system that could run it. 

As long as most of us can run MSFS at reduced settings and still get acceptable frame rates, it will be okay. It would be unreasonable to expect what's being shown in the promotional videos and screen shots with only a medium-grade gaming computer.

ETA: Of course the other consideration is if you need a high speed Internet connection, and otherwise have a beastly computer rig that could run it. We don't know how this will shake out yet.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

18 hours ago, Krakin said:

Now this thread puts things in perspective compared to some of the complaints in here. I'm not worried about the success of this sim.

My apologies if linking to other forums is not allowed. It's just nice to see how the casuals are reacting to all of this.

To be fair, the reactions in this forum have basically been the same. I don't think there is anybody here whose jaw didn't nose dive downward when the trailer first came out. At this point, however, we're used to the visuals and it's also obvious this sim will experience much more severe scrutiny here than from a casual gamer. I've been following most threads on MSFS and I can count the times there was actual unjustified complaining on one hand.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

For those still doubting the quality of MS2020, take a look at this thread: 

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

22 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

It's best to shoot for future hardware now rather than later right? 

Yes. I don’t mean that it’s unattainable for us from a performance perspective, I mean that the core game is downgraded itself before release so it’s literally impossible irrespective of the power of your pc.  Early trailers for the witcher demonstrated a level of graphics that never made it do the release version. As far as I’m aware, Microsoft doesn’t have a track record of doing this though. 

Edited by Superdelphinus

On 9/15/2019 at 12:16 AM, Coneman said:

Cloud on cloud shadows. And real lighting effects on them. The back lighting is amazing.

For me it was the dappled light on the ground. That's such a huge leap forward over what we have now. AS/Rex are beautiful in the air but they can't do anything about the ground, so all we have is a dull ground with darker dull ground where the clouds cast shadows.

I'm now especially eager to see what happens in a vertical climb through a cloud. Maybe they've solved the spinning cloud issue that happens as you keep passing slightly pre and post 90 degrees.

19 hours ago, threegreen said:

I can count the times there was actual unjustified complaining on one hand.

I did refer to SOME of the complaints and i was referring specifically to those people saying the issues would make or break the sim (undulated runways for instance).

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

People who complain abuot a product that isn't even released yet seems to forget one thing, they don't HAVE to buy it.

• Upvote 3

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Just now, jlund said:

People who complain abuot a product that isn't even released yet seems to forget one thing, they don't HAVE to buy it.

This is an absurd notion to put forth - that the first big civilian flight simulator in years that's not based on a decade old engine is on its way, and instead of vocalizing concerns and desires to a dev team that is clearly listening, people should just opt out and skip this generation's sim.

I'm 100% on board with saying that nitpicking and complaining about things we don't know about (performance being a big one) is not helpful. But saying that those people should just take their yokes and go home is ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

For me, it's the light being scattered in the atmosphere just in the right way that makes the Baltimore video look so realistic. You can see all these layers of clouds interacting with the light perfectly. Also, the ground looks so perfect because the majority is not well lit. Darkness hides detail so tiny imperfections are harder to pick up for the brain. It's just great in every way.

Edited by FlyerNYC
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FlyerNYC said:

It's just great in every way.

Yeah. Between the visuals and that stall vid, I'm starting to become a bit less *cautiously* optimistic about this thing.

• Like 1

September 26th update may put some of the speculation to rest but then they will find something else to speculate about. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, FlyerNYC said:

For me, it's the light being scattered in the atmosphere just in the right way that makes the Baltimore video look so realistic. You can see all these layers of clouds interacting with the light perfectly.

I agree. It's amazing how the clouds in the foreground directly lit up by the sun have that warm, red-yellowish sunset color yet the clouds on the right which are blocked off by the other clouds still bear a more afternoon-like lighting. This gradation of light and color in the sky looks like they just cut it out of a photo and put it into the sim.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

These videos looks great but there is one striking details no-one seems to pay attention to: the blending of airport artifacts with the surrounding scenery. The surrounding looks great in the Diamond video, but the runway pops out of the greenery like a giant billboard. Being a Commercial pilot, I can say that runways are usually much harder to find that depicted here and blend usually quite nicely with the surrounding. there has been a couple of times flying VFR Nordo  that you literally struggle to find the runway. They just don't show up like that. I think the white lines surrounding the concrete/asphalt needs to be more muted and should fade a bit in the distance. After all, they shouldn't be any more obvious that concrete roads.

Edited by Minos
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4