Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Please review PC Build

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some reviews of the below build I'm planning on. Primarily to play X Plane at moderate to high sliders (where I can) and hopefully be able to play Microsoft Flight Simulator when it's released later in 2020. 

Looking to stay at about the current price point. Any feedback, tips, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kyPBgw

10 hours ago, PC Pilot Dave said:

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some reviews of the below build I'm planning on. Primarily to play X Plane at moderate to high sliders (where I can) and hopefully be able to play Microsoft Flight Simulator when it's released later in 2020. 

Looking to stay at about the current price point. Any feedback, tips, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kyPBgw

Lucky you don't live in Australia mate t would cost you about  $5500 AUD to build

It should be a great build mate

For XP11 I'd go 32GB of RAM.  Not required by any means but probably not a bad idea for MSFS2020 either.

If you use any of the Andras HDv4 mesh and especially the UHDv4 you'll want 16 minimum.  So I'd get 32 for the future.  I have 32 myself.

There were some compatibility notes on the bottom of that site with regards to the video card being fairly long in that case.  Also with the M2 SSD being used it may disable the sata III 2x ports... someone else probably knows more than me on that subject.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, airservices said:

Lucky you don't live in Australia mate t would cost you about  $5500 AUD to build

It should be a great build mate

Wow! Does that come from raised shipping costs?

Thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

For XP11 I'd go 32GB of RAM.  Not required by any means but probably not a bad idea for MSFS2020 either.

If you use any of the Andras HDv4 mesh and especially the UHDv4 you'll want 16 minimum.  So I'd get 32 for the future.  I have 32 myself.

There were some compatibility notes on the bottom of that site with regards to the video card being fairly long in that case.  Also with the M2 SSD being used it may disable the sata III 2x ports... someone else probably knows more than me on that subject.

Yeah, I was figuring 32GB would be necessary at some point. I’ve played on 8gb my last build which was a bit tight, haha. I will very likely add an additional two 8gb memory sticks down the line. 

Thanks for highlighting that. I did see those compatibility notes - I wasn’t sure if the sata ports being disabled was a result of MOBO limitations. I was considering swapping out the MOBO or graphics card due to the possible HDD restrictions but I don’t think I’ll ever add enough HDDs to where that would become an issue. I already have a 1TB HDD for storage and if needed I can add one more at 2 or 3TB just to future-proof it. I think the only heavy storage needs I’d have would be for something like Ortho scenery.

If you have any suggestions though, please feel free to share! Trying to get as much feedback as possible for anything I might be overlooking, missing, etc.

Thank you!!

Future proofing is a myth sadly three new sims on the way and todays top end hardware will be old in 18months 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 9/13/2019 at 5:58 PM, rjfry said:

Future proofing is a myth sadly three new sims on the way and todays top end hardware will be old in 18months 

RAM is one of a few components that can be "future-proofed" to a degree, because we're dealing with a matter of storage capacity, rather than performance or computational capacity.  The myth you speak to is that of computational future-proofing.  Persistent storage "disks" such as hard drives or SSDs and power supplies are also components that can be "future-proofed" in the same manner by purchasing more than one needs now, so that it is ready *if* it is needed later.  The reason for this dichotomy is that the need for computational capacity increases at a faster rate than the need for storage capacity, generally speaking.

If someone wants to buy more RAM now in the hopes of using it later, go ahead.  I say buy while it's cheap, because we all know the DRAM oligopolies will find a way to raise the prices next year.  

Edited by TechguyMaxC

Sorry for the late response Dave. I agree with Ryan, 16GB or 32GB RAM probably ain't a bad idea, particularly at these relatively reasonable prices. That MVME drive is gonna turbocharge your load times. What are you planning on installing there? I see you have technically have 2 more M2 slots- can they physically fit two NVME cards?

Anyway, I'm out out the simming game since 2016 when I finally put my MFG Crosswinds up for sale. Looking forward to see what Microsoft bring us next year. Gonna hold off an almost entire system rebuild until then.

Have fun and post some benchmarks with that beast!

On 9/13/2019 at 11:58 PM, rjfry said:

Well, if the 1080Ti were still around it would be laughing at some of the 2000 series RTX's and the whole gimmick (for now) that is the RTX moniker and the 3rd party support it has. I still remember being out of this world impressed with my 15-20 fps could stutter out with the Orbx England and Ireland scenery with all the details up as high as I could in FSX, on my now old school, 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 60Hz with TrackIr 5 running smoothly. That was in some respects the pinnacle of my gaming career. Not being a particularly good pilot, just being really good at getting 3rd party software to network on a laptop, tablet, phone. I guess we get what we need most of from a challenging old son of gun like FSX. Even taught me to program 'LUA' through modifying and then creating my own little tiny projects in Pete Dowson'S WIDEFS7......a whole other world I'm already getting nostalgic again for. 

I'll shut up now.

Edited by LittlePaulio