Sign in to follow this  
dongdongliushui

Where 3rd party developer can happily live

It is the vacancy Microsoft leasves. And there will be vast uncultivated territories. Think about sceneris. 3D cities are very few. There are no 3D cities for most of Asia, Africa, Australia, and South America. So we need 3rd party base pack, vector, landclass for different areas, and aerial imagery with accurate 3d landscapes like TrueEarth series. Even for those 3D Cities offered by Microsoft can leasve a lot of room for improvement. Why has not Microsoft offered any closeup ground pictures? It's very likely because 3D photogrammetry buildins and trees are not very pleasant sight when watched closely. Well the 3rd party developers can improve on this. Orbx are you listening? Don't be downhearted. Your time will continue to shine.

Frankly, Orbx is taking sooooo long to release their Asian and African land class for P3D that I couldn't care less any more.

Hopefully MS has an automated way to deliver great looking "landclass" for the entire world, at a level of detail and variety that Orbx could never compete with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew S

Technically, if the scenery is streamed, then add-ons and enhancements would have to be at their choice, and on their servers. Or is this technically naive: could a payware city addon sitting on my computer be linked to the correct geo-coding to bring it into the appropriate scenes. I know this is naive, but we would be at the risk of having one size fits all as the reality from MS.

• Like 1

KInd regards,

Ian McPhail

20 minutes ago, Ian McPhail said:

Technically, if the scenery is streamed, then add-ons and enhancements would have to be at their choice, and on their servers. Or is this technically naive: could a payware city addon sitting on my computer be linked to the correct geo-coding to bring it into the appropriate scenes. I know this is naive, but we would be at the risk of having one size fits all as the reality from MS.

I imagine you could have add-on scenery (saved to your hard disk) that overrides the streaming scenery, whether that be an airport or something larger....

Matthew S

30 minutes ago, Ian McPhail said:

I agree with Matthew. This is not a coding but a commercial issue. Will MS accept not to have a monopoly on sceneries ? 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

45 minutes ago, Ian McPhail said:

Microsoft has to allow it. Not all users have enough bandwidth get along with streaming, and this is another reason the 3rd parties will live. They can provide all kinds of offline options.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MatthewS said:

I imagine you could have add-on scenery (saved to your hard disk) that overrides the streaming scenery, whether that be an airport or something larger....

That wouldn't be difficult if the streamed scenery content is buffered on disk ahead of time, before you enter the area. The local client could add overlay scenery as a layer on top of the buffered and streamed content. Current flight sims already do this with disk-based content.

This could be a good setup for free scenery. However, a payware scenery developer might prefer to have their content merged with the server stream on a per-user basis, which would be a solid DRM system to prevent piracy. We just don't know yet how this will work; whether everyone always gets the same stream, or it can be tailored for individual users, or even how much content is streamed at all.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 hours ago, Paraffin said:

That wouldn't be difficult if the streamed scenery content is buffered on disk ahead of time, before you enter the area. The local client could add overlay scenery as a layer on top of the buffered and streamed content. Current flight sims already do this with disk-based content.

Caching would be ideal, think of how Google Earth streams it's "tiles" at various LODs. 

FS2020 would use the same technique, so scenery around the aircraft (and in the distance) would get streamed in very quickly at a high LOD (ie not much information but very quick) and then progressively "filled-in" with lower LOD (more information but slower).

That streamed scenery should be cached, at the lowest LOD possible (based on available disk space and user preference), so that if the user returns to the area little (or no) streaming needs to occur.

I'd be happy if I started a flight at a gate, say at YSSY, and while I'm spending 15mins loading the flight plan and programming the PMDG FMS (etc), FS2020 is busy streaming in the scenery at a low LOD (high detail) ready for my takeoff.   FS2020 would also see, from my filed flight plan that I'm heading to say YBBN at FL30 and would be already streaming in and caching the scenery at the appropriate LODs (based on my expected altitude profile), so that by the time I'm on approach to YBBN I already have low LOD scenery (ie high detail) cached.

(Low LOD number = more information, high LOD number = less information).

Edited by MatthewS
Added (Low LOD number = more information, high LOD number = less information).
  • Like 1

Matthew S

35 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

(Low LOD = more information, high LOD = less information).

I was under the impression that "low LOD" stood for "low Level of Detail" and vice versa?

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | P3D v.4.5 | MSFS |

Tony K.

14 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

I was under the impression that "low LOD" stood for "low Level of Detail" and vice versa?

I might be mistaken but I seem to remember that in the FSX/P3D SDK and for the Microsoft Virtual Earth tile server, the higher the LOD number the less detail.

Matthew S

I think MS wants to cooperate with third-parties more than Dovetail did. If you look at what they've said so far, they seem familiar with a lot of the concerns the community has, including with respect to third-parties.

It's almost certain third-parties will have an opportunity to sell aircraft. My guess is that third-parties will definitely be able to improve on airports. 

The real question is regions. Based on what we've seen, there's a possibility that the entire world will look like what we've seen so far because of the way they seem to be generating things from satellite imagery, which they have. I do wonder though if MS is paying extra attention to certain areas, like X-Plane 11 does with Seattle and some others. If that's the case there would be room for third-parties too.