Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

What's with FSX ATC?

What tends to be really annoying with FSX ATC is when you're somewhat off course for whatever reason and they start giving you what I called The Wiggles. They have you heading in one direction for a few minutes then heading in another instead of in a straight line back to the magenta line or your course. That's my biggest complain with ATC in FSX.

Hello Ed, the problem with FS ATC is most simmers do not know how to use it. If you are flying IFR you should not accept vectors to final. Choose a transition. Of course the FS approach database will be very much out of date so best to learn how to use ADE and update them.

I also use an edited version of FSATC which does not nag me about altitudes and will not cancel my flight plan if I miss a station. (I use FS9 btw)

So all in all I really enjoy my FS9 ATC but remember my FS nav/approach database is completely up-to-date. (or can be any date you like)

21 hours ago, Ed Kammerman said:

I have made a couple of attempts at using VATSIM, unfortunately, to quote your post here 'I've gotten lost'.

Unfortunately, that same story has been told countless times, and solving this is just one of many things the project I'm working on will resolve for people.  Sorry I can't say more right now, but I'm sure you'll read about it a lot more in the coming weeks!

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Unfortunately, that same story has been told countless times, and solving this is just one of many things the project I'm working on will resolve for people.  Sorry I can't say more right now, but I'm sure you'll read about it a lot more in the coming weeks!

Best wishes!

Thanks, Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing this. In the meantime my daughter is flying to Tokyo On 9/24/19 I intend to follow her route which will be KBOI-KLAX then a several hour layover before KLAX-RJTT

Ed 

The default ATC certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but it's actually not bad in my opinion.  The voices are fantastic when compared to some expensive payware offerings, so at least it sounds real.

What I do is basically ignore the approach vectors and fly my own approach using a STAR or simply flying downwind, making a base turn, and then final approach.  A lot of times, even when you ignore ATC vectoring, once you get within 20-30 miles of the airport it will go ahead and issue final approach clearance instructions and then you can contact the tower for landing.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Hi Folks;

I totally agree with Dave2013 and Charliearon in my experience it has be good 95-98% of the time and i have been using it since it came out And used it with QW 757, LevelD B767, iFLY v2 747-4/8 and now the PMDG 747-4/8 So I have flown it all (heavies mostly) all IFR and it has been good. Given it's age and everything else (also free) it's the best out there.

I say that because i have the PRO ATC X and that is suppose to be one of the best if not the best "ATC" Payware out there today, and believe me there are a lot of issues i have with it that sometimes I revert back to good old FSX ATC and enjoy it better. Yes FSX ATC has it's issues which i come to expect and can work around it as Dave2013 pointed out.

You have to remember that FSX ATC does not use SID and STARS so the approaches are all calculated the best that it can given what's in the database.

In terms of one of the multiple issues i have with Pro ATC X is; my STAR approach is totally opposite (or out of the way, let's say) to the assigned runway. So up to a point on the plan i get to the last waypoint of the STAR and ATC has to Vector me for approach and landing; now here is where things often get screwed up.

• I go past the runway at 5,000 in the opposite direction as per ATC to make a turn later which is ok
  • They then have me make a 180 degree turn to capture the glide slope for the ILS approach.

So here are the issues often associated with their calculations for approach.

• They seldom send me out far enough, and don't have me start descending before I make the turn or during the turn.
  • So I end up capturing the glide slope too late and end up too high.
  • I word not allowed off my passengers since i have to descend at 3,500 Ft per min to capture the correct altitude for the landing
  • End up coming in too fast due to the descend rate with my speed break on full to make the landing.

So what I end up doing when in situations like this is, I am proactive and just handle everything myself by reading the charts and descending earlier so that i reach my specific altitude at the correct time and my airspeed is also correct.

My point is i got a payware to get this right and often times it does't. Surprisingly FSX ATC gets this correct more often than Pro ATC X. My issue is shared by a lot of their users There are other things that FSX ATC does better than Pro ATC X but that's another story. PRO ATC x hasn't had an update in over a year so maybe things will get better in their next update.

Of course I can fly my PMDG 747-8 without ATC with my charts, SID, STARS etc, but to me ATC gives it more of a realistic feel.

Hopefully we'll get something great from Dave Hodges and company soon.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

I've subscribed, Dave! I used to be an IFR rated private pilot, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell my butt from a hole in the ground nowdays.

I've dipped a toe in the online flying world, but left because it was just silly or I was the only one there.

I'd like to take my hobby to the next level if I can.

9 hours ago, hossfly72 said:

I've subscribed, Dave! I used to be an IFR rated private pilot, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell my butt from a hole in the ground nowdays.

I've dipped a toe in the online flying world, but left because it was just silly or I was the only one there.

I'd like to take my hobby to the next level if I can.

We hot you covered my friend, seriously covered. Being a rather hardcore flight simmer myself, I wouldn't say that unkess I was certain that what I'm working on would be perfect for you brother! In fact, you might want to join our team!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I don't think I could bring anything worthwhile to your team, but I'd be up for some beta testing if you need an extra hand. 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:21 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

Dave,

I keep watching for an announcement.... Is the project still a go? I feel like a dog in the park. "Just throw the darn ball already!"

Edited by willisxdc
word not allowed

1 hour ago, willisxdc said:

Dave,

I keep watching for an announcement.... Is the project still a go? I feel like a dog in the park. "Just throw the darn ball already!"

Hey Roger,

We are still moving forward, but the pace has slowed considerably due to the changes taking place in the flight sim world.  Right now that is all I can say, except that I had truly hoped to be further along and in the public eye by now. On top of that is the approaching summer and the flight sim duldrums which always follow (at least each and every year since 2004).  The earliest possible launch I can foresee would be mid-April and while possible I honestly think that's even a stretch.

You can read more about the broad strokes HERE, but there is potentially much more to come depending on other developers.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

Regardless of MSFS 2020, I think  a LOT of people will continue using FSX etc.

I for one don't have a fast enough Internet connection.   Secondly, Just as people still fly FS2000 and FS2004, FSX will continue to be enjoyed for some time to come.

That said, the fact that FSX is 32 bit is beginning to take a toll. 

3 hours ago, KFXE said:

Regardless of MSFS 2020, I think  a LOT of people will continue using FSX etc.

I for one don't have a fast enough Internet connection.   Secondly, Just as people still fly FS2000 and FS2004, FSX will continue to be enjoyed for some time to come.

That said, the fact that FSX is 32 bit is beginning to take a toll. 

The only reason some people will stay with FSX are the same reasons why some have stayed with FS9.

They don’t have a capable computer, don’t have the money to upgrade, or don’t want to spend the money to upgrade.

MSFS doesn’t have a plane(s) or certain addon that the new sim has, so they don’t move.

Or they are simply happy with what they got and don’t feel like moving on.

But it won’t be because the new sim doesn’t look better overall, whether it be the scenery, weather or upgraded aircraft that the 3rd party will provide.

I never went to P3D mainly because they kept coming with new versions and I was trying to wait for what seemed like a more formal last version. Plus I would have upgraded my rig to take advantage of it. Not to mention all the addons, some of which were free to upgrade from FSX and some not. Plus compatibility, some addons worked with P3D v1-3 but not v4, etc. It was just too much for me to keep up with and in hind sight, now I’m glad I never spent the money to get v1 to v4, went through all the point updates, and uninstalling and installing new versions.

That being said, I’ll happily upgrade my rig and jump on MSFS once it arrives because FSX, although reliable for me, looks like an old, tired dog compared to the new sim.

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 9/16/2019 at 8:43 PM, charliearon said:

In my experience, I find that the default ATC is about 95-97% accurate.  It will usually get me from Point A to Point B, into the ILS glideslope approach and a good landing.  On a couple of rare occasions, It forgot about me or had me at 10,000 feet about 3 miles from touchdown.  Those are very rare occurrences.

A+