Sign in to follow this  
disco79stu

PM turns on ILS during RNAV appr.?

Don't know if it's a bug or just not to avoid, but I noticed that when I do an RNAV approach, the PM will turn on his "ILS" display which you wouldn't do on an RNAV approach (to my knowledge). At least I'm not doing it, just as Blackbox711 "teached" me in his RNAV appr. tutorial.... 🙂

BR
Stu

46 minutes ago, byork said:

Okay, I was wrong 🙂

http://www.airbusdriver.net/RNAV Approaches.htm

So does this quote "Do NOT select the LS pb! LS pb will disable the RNAV indications and flash amber V/DEV on the PFD" proofs me right then? Sounds like the way I thought the procedure should be...
PM did push the pb on his side though....

1 minute ago, byork said:

It'll be fixed in the next update.

So for now if you're doing an RNAV app, just manually turn off the LS on the PM's side.

Cheers,

Allright, thanks! 

I don't want to open a new thread so i think my question will fit in also here.

Which Option in the APR Briefing "Approach Type" do i have to select for an RNAV Aprooach?

Greetings Michael

fslabs_banner.png

Hi Bryan -

Flew the FSL A320 KSMF RNAV (RNP) Z R16R.  I have v1.4, but only options are for ILS Cat I/II/III, Non Precision, Visual and Visual Pattern.  RNAV (GPS) approaches are indeed non-precision, with advisory only vertical guidance, but the other variety - RNAV (RNP) approaches - are precision approaches.  They are flown to precision minima and can include curved RF legs.  The A320 has been flying them for half a dozen years - they are common now. 

After verifying the RNP value on the PROG page, the SOP is just push FCU APPR.  Unlike an ILS approach you should  not activate the LS.   You just set the ALT window down to minimums and monitor the approach.  When FINAL APP is enunciated green and you are past the FAF, you set ALT up to the missed. The autopilot follows the brick down the DH and then disconnects - you either go around or land visually.  But if LS mode is inadvertently set on an RNP approach, FINAL APP never is enunciated.  Setting up the altitude window up on final then messes everything, and you must go around.

Confirmed that if you try to fly an RNAV RNP approach with FS2C set to ILS precision approach, since PM activates the LS , it messes the approach.  Having to remember to catch and then de-select LS is yet another gotcha.

Hope you can add an RNAV (RNP) precision approach option in the next release - just needs to leave the LS off.

Chuck