Sign in to follow this  
pablo morneo park

Is the Black Box A340 worth it?

I have been on the fence whether to buy this aircraft or not. I see a lot of forums where people ask if they should buy this aircraft but i didn't really find the answer on YouTube or in any forum. So is it worth it considering its the only A340 available for P3D V4? What would be the pros and cons? Thanks  

(Not looking to buy the A330 from Black Box as we have aerosoft on the task) 

It's an incomplete product that has been in "Prologue" status for many years. I don't want to get into bashing this crowd as many will, but I think the general consensus would be to keep clear of it.

David Porrett

I did buy it as well as the A330 when it was on sale a year or so ago. I installed it, tried one flight, but concluded that it wasn’t yet at the level where I wanted it to be and uninstalled it. Don’t get me wrong: you can finish a flight, but you might feel like the experience is compromised by it’s incomplete nature. Personally I’m waiting for v0.90 to come out, for it appears to come with a slew of improvements and new features that could probably bring this addon up to the level where it’d be a nice plane to fly.

So my current advise: wait for v0.90 to come out, unless you absolutely must have an A340.

• Like 3

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

usually if u cannot find any recommendation or YT movie then u already have answer for ur question 

Artur 

I heard the developers may have gone awol AGAIN!!. Cannot confirm that, so buyer beware.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

1 hour ago, ZKOKQ said:

I heard the developers may have gone awol AGAIN!!. Cannot confirm that, so buyer beware.

Depends how you define "awol". Their support has always been a little lackluster, and so I don't think that forum posts going unanswered is necessarily a new thing. However, they still post the occasional reply on their Facebook page, or on that if the BBS Airbus 'fan facebook page'. So clearly they are around and working on their addon. From what I understand they went and rewrote big parts of the MCDU, which I suppose ended up being a much bigger job than they could realistically handle as a two-man team.

I still have hope that one day they will release v0.90. I just don't know when and I hope it'll be before the last A340 is finally retired...

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

In short...Never invest in unfinished products. Serious developers will never charge for open alpha or something like this. 

Visual externally is actually pretty nice.  The internal FD seems a little lacklustre and unpolished.  However you can perform a full flight.  The MCDU is rather simplistic and is in need of a big overhaul supposedly in this .90 update thats been in the works for eons.   Flying the A330 is actually quite pretty good, but I uninstalled it as others mentioned, its just too unfinished. And the very biggest reason, ..... no one can land it properly.  You can flare properly.  Watch the YT videos. Everyone has problems landing and ends up bouncing no matter how good you are. Its screwed up. Nothing like having a pretty good flight all the way through and then having the landing completely messed up through no fault of your own.  

.90 has been in the works for a long time.  Its taken 5 years to get from .65 to .85    By the time version 1.0 comes around it will be 2025 and we will likely be flying different sims or they will have to do it all over again because of all the foundation changes in the current sim.  

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

1 hour ago, HighTowers said:

Visual externally is actually pretty nice.  The internal FD seems a little lacklustre and unpolished.  However you can perform a full flight.  The MCDU is rather simplistic and is in need of a big overhaul supposedly in this .90 update thats been in the works for eons.   Flying the A330 is actually quite pretty good, but I uninstalled it as others mentioned, its just too unfinished. And the very biggest reason, ..... no one can land it properly.  You can flare properly.  Watch the YT videos. Everyone has problems landing and ends up bouncing no matter how good you are. Its screwed up. Nothing like having a pretty good flight all the way through and then having the landing completely messed up through no fault of your own.  

.90 has been in the works for a long time.  Its taken 5 years to get from .65 to .85    By the time version 1.0 comes around it will be 2025 and we will likely be flying different sims or they will have to do it all over again because of all the foundation changes in the current sim.  

The landing 'bounce' has been a contentious issue. The developers insist that it has to do with the flare logic of the Airbus, such that if you touch down with pressure on the stick, the aircraft interprets it as some sort of emergency lift off, or at least that's my understanding of what they are saying. Apparently, if you flare gently and release pressure on the stick, it supposedly lands smoothly. I have never tested this smoothly, nor do I have any idea how the real plane handles, so I'm not qualified to say whether it's right or wrong...

Benjamin van Soldt

19 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I did buy it as well as the A330 when it was on sale a year or so ago. I installed it, tried one flight, but concluded that it wasn’t yet at the level where I wanted it to be and uninstalled it. Don’t get me wrong: you can finish a flight, but you might feel like the experience is compromised by it’s incomplete nature. .

This is exactly how I feel every time I reinstall it out of a desire to fly a heavy Airbus...one flight then uninstall.

The thing that really drives me crazy is there is something in their engine coding that results in no growling or buzzsaw sound at high thrust settings, either with the default sound set or any addon soundset.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Just download it from BBS, try for 2hr free trail with full function but just a pause at every 10min, you can get the answer on your own

Bought it, attempted to land a couple times and the aircraft won’t “flare” maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, UAL4life said:

Bought it, attempted to land a couple times and the aircraft won’t “flare” maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong but I doubt it. 

Its a bug. FDE is wrong. You may try to incorporate .air file from some other model but not sure if that is going to work.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:54 PM, Benjamin J said:

The landing 'bounce' has been a contentious issue. The developers insist that it has to do with the flare logic of the Airbus, such that if you touch down with pressure on the stick, the aircraft interprets it as some sort of emergency lift off, or at least that's my understanding of what they are saying. Apparently, if you flare gently and release pressure on the stick, it supposedly lands smoothly. I have never tested this smoothly, nor do I have any idea how the real plane handles, so I'm not qualified to say whether it's right or wrong...

Ok well if its an airbus thing, then the AS and FSL would be just as difficult to land and Im pretty sure they have their FDE correct as can be for a desktop sim since many fly it and dont complain about the flare.  

Im no expert, and dont have super slick landings, but they are pretty decent landings, for all my aircraft most of the time except for this one aircraft.  

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png