Sign in to follow this  
bmaik

Some Flaws of Version 7.42

Hi there,

I love that Vox 7.42 respects all my AI flightplans and schedules now, but there are a few issues that are even worse with version 7 than they were with version 6. I've just done a single flight in 7.42 so far and found the following:

1. For clearance, Vox 7.42  does not give me a cleared flight level and initial altitude, but only a star and a transponder code. Can anybody confirm that this is a general flaw of version 7 or was it something special with my flightplan (EGLC to LIPZ)? However, in version 6 the clearance was more detailed.

2. The arrival ATIS stays wrong for the whole duration of the flight and is not read at TOD. Winds were calm on the testing day for the whole short flight (EGLC to LIPZ), so I expected arrival runway 04R (04L is mainly a taxiway at LIPZ), but the arrival atis reported wrong winds from 220 degrees unitl touchdown, hence resulting in the wrong star and runway assignment (I was eventually cleared for 22R). Did anybody find a solution to this? Or can anybody confirm that it can't be fixed? Version 6.52's arrival ATIS was read at TOD and I got the correct runway assignment 100% of times. Can anybody confirm having the same problem or did somebody even find a workaround (of course without restarting Vox)

3. The above facts made me think a little... Why not use the best of both worlds? So I tried to compile the traffic.bgl files and scenery files with the Vox 7 indexer, such that I get the correct AI-traffic and copied the database into the Vox 6.52 folder, but somehow this doesn't work. Vox 6.52 gives me a fatal error, so most probably the sturucture of the database has changed. But perhaps there's somebody out there who had this idea before me and was a little more successful?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

M.Berchtold

47 minutes ago, bmaik said:

I love that Vox 7.42

me too .... but i still battle with its "idosynchrasies" as you know.

i hope we can hear from others about your / mine problems

for now, cheers

john martin

4 hours ago, bmaik said:

1. For clearance, Vox 7.42  does not give me a cleared flight level and initial altitude, but only a star and a transponder code. Can anybody confirm that this is a general flaw of version 7 or was it something special with my flightplan (EGLC to LIPZ)? However, in version 6 the clearance was more detailed.

For me, VOXATC responds as it does in the User Manual, pp 22-27. Did you mean a SID? As to altitude, I've always assumed that "then as filed" covers that. The ATC correctly assigns altitudes as you ascend. For the weather-related items, I think that whatever weather add-on you are using has to be tinkered with to get more accurate approach assignments in VOXATC. Calm winds tend to cause a lot of problems with any ATC add-on, as do changing wind directions on approach. Most weather add-ons have settings that either fix the arrival weather as constant for the duration of your flight or prevent any weather changes when on approach.

Sorry, of course, I meant  SID instead of STAR. Does anybody have experience with mixing versions, eg. using the indexer of version 7 with version 6 or using the voxatc.dll from version 6 in version 7? For example I use the networking abilities of version 7 without any problems in version 6, the success of  such mixing depends, of course, on the crucial question which parts of the Vox Code have been updated between versions, but - as we all know- the developer doesn't talk to us (anymore),  I rely on your experience. Did anybody make such experiments already?

Edited by bmaik

7 hours ago, Karelpatch said:

Normally ATC doesn’t have to give you altitudes to fly a SID or a STAR, since it’s all on the charts.

it is my understanding (& being that voxatc is much about FAA procedures) that "climb(?)/descend via" will be instructed for rnav procedures (& without altitude restrictions and/or steps) but for a legacy procedure instruct "cleared via" with altitude restrictions/steps.

but i am not convinced it works as well as the manual suggests for "descend via".... though i believe it does if the TOD is initiated by Vox (ie if one does not ask for an earlier descent and the star/transition begins before that TOD).

for now, cheers

john martin

On 9/16/2019 at 7:54 PM, bmaik said:

Can anybody confirm having the same problem or did somebody even find a workaround (of course without restarting Vox)

early days with my idea ....... but i close "unsuitable runways" pre-flight after reviewing the TAF (& reindex vox)

for example at VHHH (2 paralells & no crosswind runway) i mainly use an afcad with east operations (07's) only unless the TAF suggests a tailwind >10kts is expected at arrival (& if so i swap the afacd to west operations, preflight).

vox's AI engine also respects this downwind situation (whereas the sim's ai probably wouldn't if winds were > 6kts).

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin