Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

CPU Core 0 Usage at 100%

1 minute ago, Seat* said:

I observe the same thing, Core0 100% when P3D is running. Now I wonder what is really the difference between turning off Core 0 in Windows or Process Lasso (advantage that you don't have to do it every time) compared to doing it in P3D.cfg. In this forum it has always been said that it is in cfg that affinity should be put.

/Thomas

You're talking about Affinity Mask but this is not the topic of this post. Just search "Affinity mask" and you'll find hundreds of posts about it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Seat* said:

I observe the same thing, Core0 100% when P3D is running. Now I wonder what is really the difference between turning off Core 0 in Windows or Process Lasso (advantage that you don't have to do it every time) compared to doing it in P3D.cfg. In this forum it has always been said that it is in cfg that affinity should be put.

/Thomas

I think this are two different things. As far as I understand, turning off Core0 for P3D permanently via AM or ProcessLasso is not recommended. Toggle OFF/ON instead would not turn off CPU0 permanently.

And Please, don't let this thread become post number 1001 about Affinity Mask settings.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Ok understod!

/Thomas

Thomas ( Sundsvall, ESNN, Sweden)
P3D V5.3 HF1, Intel 9 9900K Oc 5 GHZ 16MB, Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 360mm, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB ROG, 2 Corsair Force M2 MP600 1TB+500Gb, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390 MB, Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16, Fractal Design Define S2 Vision, Win 10 Home, BenQ 32" PD3200U 4K IPS monitor

A2A, Majestic Q400, Leonardo Maddog, IFly B737

2 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Just toggle CPU 0 off/on in Set Affinity in Task Manager and it won't be running at 100% anymore.

Snakeoil ... and as far as i can recall NOT recommended by LM.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

10 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Snakeoil ... and as far as i can recall NOT recommended by LM.

That's why I said that I don't think it actually does anything except that CPU 0 is not running at 100% anymore.

Never heard about LM advising not to do that though. Do you know why is NOT recommended and why is it happening in the first place?

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek

4 hours ago, Nemo said:

But this would be in contradiction with my former observations when I've also used MSIAB/RTSS for monitoring.

Hmm. Maybe, in my case, it is because I have enabled its frame rate limiter. I'm not using it for monitoring, I only ever look at the CPU code usages in TM.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I have been using the on/off trick for several months - I always end up with one thread saturated - but it's not on Core 0 - I find that this gives me smoother performance and fewer micro stutters.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

You don't even need to toggle Core 0 on/off. I have an i9 9900k that does this. I just right click on it in Task Mgr, select affinity setting and hit okay when the box opens showing all the cores checked. It resets Core 0 to where it should be. 

Eric 

6 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

That's why I said that I don't think it actually does anything except that CPU 0 is not running at 100% anymore.

Never heard about LM advising not to do that though. Do you know why is NOT recommended and why is it happening in the first place?

I have played with this technique on and off for quite some time and have never been able to quantify an improvement in performance or animation.  I have read from LM in their forum that core 0 loading is at/near 100% is intentional.  The way I look at it is that all 100% loaded means is that there is little or no idle activity, and in one way of looking at it is that the core is always running at 100%.... if it isn't 100% loaded by an application then it is partially loaded by the OS doing idle tasks.  I'd rather have the core responsible for textures to be used 100% by p3d than see the OS using it for busy work.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

I have played with this technique on and off for quite some time and have never been able to quantify an improvement in performance or animation.  I have read from LM in their forum that core 0 loading is at/near 100% is intentional.  The way I look at it is that all 100% loaded means is that there is little or no idle activity, and in one way of looking at it is that the core is always running at 100%.... if it isn't 100% loaded by an application then it is partially loaded by the OS doing idle tasks.  I'd rather have the core responsible for textures to be used 100% by p3d than see the OS using it for busy work.

Well, that actually makes sense. In that case, toggling it off/on does more harm than good even though, as I said, I didn't actually notice any difference in performance. If LM recommends not doing that, I guess I'll stop.

The question is.....are there situations where Core 0 is allocated a task when it is already @ 100% capacity? That is certainly not an ideal scenario when there is plenty of spare processing power available on the other cores.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

9 hours ago, downscc said:

I have played with this technique on and off for quite some time and have never been able to quantify an improvement in performance or animation.

+1

Only difference I've noticed is much longer load times when approaching addon airports.  Me thinks LM might know what they're doing when running the first core flat out...

Greg

Prevening P4D from using my CPU 0 only makes it happy to consume all my CPU 4, then mask that, CPU 3.... and so on

I remenber with my old 4 core PC and FS9, uncheck CPU0 will make FS9 use all other 3 core, BUT no more than 25% totall, still.....

I have found if I limit my frames to 20 fps in P3d my core 0 runs at 100% all of the time.

If i have it set to unlimited it runs between 70 to 100%

Just to come back to my original statements. I've never questioned that Core0 should not be using 90-100% most of the time. But full 100% all the time, no matter what settings or location, locked or unlocked frames, does not look right to me. Why?

1. My own experience. It was not like that (always 100%) after 4.5HF. I know because I made a lot of performance testing after 4.5HF came out.

2. Just look at Rob's Honolulu video, you will recognize that core0 is not always at 100%. But I don't know his settings.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).