Sign in to follow this  
CpnBill

2k 2560x1440 Display- Is 144Hz needed?

I'm constantly wanting to upgrade monitors, and as you can probably tell from other posts, I tried the 43" 4k TV route, but it was too big of a footprint on my desk and I was sitting too close etc.  I am going to stay with the 3 external monitors at 27."  Here's the current setup:

• Intel i5-8600k
  • Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
  • 16 GB DDR4 3000 G. Skill
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
  • 3 TB Barracuda 7200RPM for backup
  • 1080 Ti
  • 2 24" Dell HD Monitors
  • 1 27" LG HD

I'm planning to get to more 27's to match the LG.  I've decided the sweet spot for me is the 27" QHD.  Question for you guys running at that resolution, is the 144Hz needed, or could I go 60Hz.  For that price range, I could get an IPS panel, but @60 or 75hz.  Otherwise if I wanted to get 144Hz, I'd probably need to stay in a TN panel.  I don't do much gaming other than P3d, mostly just everyday work stuff where I utilize the 3 montiors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Dell S2716DG that works real nice.  I think it's 120Hz, and it has that GSync and works real nice without fussing with it.

Just looked in Windows and it says its currently running at 59Hz right now (P3D not running) which is 1/2 of its max? Maybe that's what that GSync does?

• Like 1

I have an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS 144hz g-sync monitor, but have never actually found a reason to set it for that frequency......

Eventually I decided it was mostly for bragging rights.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For P3D, 144Hz is not really an advantage, unless you reduce the settings that much that you get more than 100FPS... G-sync only makes sense if the monitor supports rates that you achieve. My S2716DG for example provides G-sync only from 30FPS upwards, as I have my P3D set up and locked to 30FPS, I can not use G-sync. If you find a monitor that supports G-sync from 5FPS upwards as an example, you could use it even with locked 30FPS. 

BUT: if you are going to play other games, like I do, especially fast shooter games, you will never go back to 60Hz as soon as you once played with a 120/144Hz monitor. Same goes for G-sync: as soon as you get FPS Numbers within the range your monitor supports, in my case 30-144FPS, G-sync does wonders and everything seems super smooth.

BTW: I reduced the refresh rate of my monitor down to 120Hz to get an even multiplier of my 30FPS lock. Since I did that, my P3D runs very smooth, smoother than it was with a 30FPS lock on 144Hz...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks for the replies guys!  Appreciate it.  Because I have three monitors, I don't think I can go $500+ on one.  I'm normally a Dell/Samsung/LG monitor guy, but this one seems like it might fit the bill and in a good price point, until I buy a 3rd one around black friday.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/503505/kg271u-27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

Edited by CpnBill

Well, there's one thing that I learned from my Dad and from experience, too.  Even if it takes longer to save up for it, quality parts are the better investment - they will last longer and work better.  When I tried to be "thrifty" and "save money" (and didn't listen to Dad), I ended up wasting money on stuff that didn't work good and didn't last, and then ended up buying the part I should have in the first place.  🙂

• Like 1

Very true, which is why I didn't pull the trigger on the Acer yet, but......the reviews are very good, so it's tempting.  I totally get what you mean though.

45 minutes ago, Buffy Foster said:

Well, there's one thing that I learned from my Dad and from experience, too.  Even if it takes longer to save up for it, quality parts are the better investment - they will last longer and work better.  When I tried to be "thrifty" and "save money" (and didn't listen to Dad), I ended up wasting money on stuff that didn't work good and didn't last, and then ended up buying the part I should have in the first place.  🙂

My old man had an expression I've stuck with all my life... "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". 👍

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather