Sign in to follow this  
KBUR

OMG!!! Paris in all its splendor has arrived in AFS2

...welcome to a new level of realism in Aerofly FS 2 :blink:.  And you can experience the beauty of Paris - with all its autogen (1.6 million buildings) and POI's - even FOR FREE !!!

637-paris-megacity-jpg

Honestly, the pictures speak for themselves and they make me speechless !  Thousand thanks and more to the relentless AFS2 freeware developer TomSimMuc for his Paris - "France Cultivation Megacity" effort, and to IZ0JUB for the Paris - "France Photo Scenery" (Ortho images for Paris city scenery).

1) The first part you need is Paris - France Cultivation Megacity by TomSimMuc ( 434,29 MB)

thumb-1296f1737a60d51d7bd8293b9a5a7fd7d8

638-arcs-jpg

636-city-jpg

1370-39109bf4-large.jpg

1367-2cd1818d-large.jpg

2) Well, and the second part (Ortho images) you can find it here:  Paris - France Photo Scenery by IZJ0UB (1,63 GB)

634-paris-coverage-jpg

Thanks to the new scenproc scripts by IPACS/Aerofly and to the developers.  The outcome is just AMAZING !!! 

And the performance way beyond compared to other well known sims on the market.

Edited by KBUR
  • Like 5

I tried this yesterday, and it's really a great addon. I wouldn't dare to compare it to France VFR Ile de France for Prepar3d - with the difference of this one running at 100 fps compared to struggling with around 20 for Ile de France. Notably the rich "cultivation" is blending in very nicely under AeroflyFS2.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

3 hours ago, pmb said:

I tried this yesterday, and it's really a great addon. I wouldn't dare to compare it to France VFR Ile de France for Prepar3d - with the difference of this one running at 100 fps compared to struggling with around 20 for Ile de France. Notably the rich "cultivation" is blending in very nicely under AeroflyFS2.

Kind regards, Michael

Any idea why performance is so much better in AFS2 than P3D. Is it because the graphics engine is that much better or is it just because AFS2 doesn't have the highly detailed aircraft and other addons that really impact performance?

• Like 1

NAX669.png

5 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Any idea why performance is so much better in AFS2 than P3D. Is it because the graphics engine is that much better or is it just because AFS2 doesn't have the highly detailed aircraft and other addons that really impact performance?

Hard to tell. Probably both aspects factor in. I think the graphics engine which is much more state-of-the-art than both the FSX/ESP as well as the XP engines is an important factor, though. Basically, both can't hide the fact they go back to the 1990s and even earlier, despite having been recoded several times since.

I can only add that traffic which usually draws fps under Prepar3d has virtually no influence in AeroflyFS2. There is a test area with traffic in Florida to confirm this. What's still missing are realistic weather, AI traffic and ATC.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 hours ago, mwilk said:

Any idea why performance is so much better in AFS2 than P3D.

From IPACS, quote:

Concerns about the performance with more systems? No, I don't think so...

From my point of view more systems won't affect the performance that much if at all. If you are using the CPU to its full potential it can do a lot of things very quickly (3.400.000.000 things second! per core...). And Aerofly has an engine that is very powerful, using multicore, 64bit...

I've been adding thousands of small systems in the past year now, I've not had an issue with CPU performance even once. The frame rate stayed at 60FPS since the graphics is running on another thread and mainly on the graphics card anyway - so rendering will still be very smooth even if theoretically we would somehow managed to bring the physics engine to its limits. Then the phyics would probably just get less acurate if we had to slow it down...

That shouldn't affect the frame rate at all though, it does in other simulators but it shouldn't. But I doubt we will ever get to the limits of the physics engine, even if we add study level system depth.

There is always a compromise between quality and performance. So sometimes you have to cut down either on polygons or tital buildings in a single scene. But LOWI proves that the engine can indeed handle a ton of polys and total buildings withour affecting performance.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael !  Your inputs are always much appreciated and welcome.

Please, would you like to explain the main differences between AFS2 vs VFR Ile de France just broadly ?  Is it texture wise, or because the region of VFR is probably wider ?! 

Some years ago I had some experience with VFR in FSX, but the perfromance was that bad, with the result that I had deleted it soon.

All the best,

Konrad

Edited by KBUR

7 hours ago, mwilk said:

Maybe I can enlighten you a little bit too:

Jarrad Marshal (acclaimed ORBX developer) wrote in this thread on ORBX forum - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/#comments

Jarrad Marshal:

" As a VFR experience, this is the best sim currently on the market, hands down. As you can see from the screenshots below, there is a clear mark-up in terrain quality - mountains look crisp, photoreal roads and railways are discernible all the way to the horizon, and both the shadow and atmospheric engines are stunning. Best of all, performance is through the roof - having spent a great deal of time learning from the IPACS team, I have discovered that they are passionate about tweaking the very best performance out of their engine as possible.  "

He wrote further (same post as above):

Jarrad Marshal:

Lastly, the optimisation of this engine really makes a difference - performance, microstutters and VAS usage are genuinely nothing to worry about around .....

And John Venema wrote in the same thread regarding AFS2's inherent photorealism - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/#comments

John Venema:

The realism you're seeing is due to the advanced lighting system used by AFS2.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, KBUR said:

Hi Michael !  Your inputs are always much appreciated and welcome.

Please, would you like to explain the main differences between AFS2 vs VFR Ile de France just broadly ?  Is it texture wise, or because the region of VFR is probably wider ?! 

Ile de France works much better those days than even a year ago. Prepar3d 4.5 has improved performance, notably in such areas with hosts of manually-placed buildings. (I think these are the main issue, not the autogen - in the same way as with ORBX TE GB South). I actually would call Ile de France a very good Prepar3d addon which I like (as all France VFR sceneries I own.)

Despite I have to dial back some settings, notably building shadows, which can be understood in view of the sheer number of buildings castings shadows. Again the same as with ORBX TE GB South. So one main difference is performance and smoothness. As I said, fps are 100:20 in the City centre. With all sliders in AFS2 at the r.h.s., btw.

I also find ground imagery still more crisp in the AFS2 version than in Ile de France, although the latter has been basically improved from P3D 4.4 to 4.5.

Both versions come with the main Paris airports like CDG, Le Bourget etc. I can't compare CDG as I integrated the T2G payware version under P3D, so this would be unfair. Overall, I think the airports look somewhat better under P3D, which probably is mainly based on the limited airport development tools and resources available under AFS2 yet. Compared to these, there are powerful tools available for making ground imagery and cultivation those days which even me as a non-programmer can basically handle. 

Of course you have a few general AFS2 restrictions like missing car traffic, AI traffic etc. On the other hand, I find the general lighting superior under AFS2. 

Both regions cover the whole of Paris with Ile de France stretching perhaps a little farther outside, but I have to confirm this in more detail. This is from just a couple of flights in the AFS2 version I found time for so far.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBUR said:

Maybe I can enlighten you a little bit too:

Jarrad Marshal (acclaimed ORBX developer) wrote in this thread on ORBX forum - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/#comments

He wrote further (same post as above):

And John Venema wrote in the same thread regarding AFS2's inherent photorealism - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/#comments

Thank you. I'm just getting into VR so I may have to pick this up.

NAX669.png

23 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Thank you. I'm just getting into VR so I may have to pick this up.

Which headset?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Which headset?

I have the Rift S and the HP Reverb.

NAX669.png

44 minutes ago, mwilk said:

I have the Rift S and the HP Reverb.

So far for simming which one do you like better?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

So far for simming which one do you like better?

The Reverb has better resolution. The Rift S has better performance but the screen door effect is more noticeable. I much prefer the controllers and the software for the Rift S. I have to go through the tuning process for my rig that a guy on DCS has come up with. I'm running a 9700k @5.1 with 32GB of ram and a RTX 2080 XC Ultra graphics card. I'm really interested to see what Microsoft does with FS2020. Hopefully, it will use a new graphics engine that takes advantage of this new hardware.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

54 minutes ago, mwilk said:

The Reverb has better resolution. The Rift S has better performance but the screen door effect is more noticeable. I much prefer the controllers and the software for the Rift S. I have to go through the tuning process for my rig that a guy on DCS has come up with. I'm running a 9700k @5.1 with 32GB of ram and a RTX 2080 XC Ultra graphics card. I'm really interested to see what Microsoft does with FS2020. Hopefully, it will use a new graphics engine that takes advantage of this new hardware.

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much figured you were going to say the rift s, but I was curious. The windows mixed reality software annoys the Pooh out of me!

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

Unbelievable and a very good initiative to show how many freeware stuff  there is already out for Aerofly. Since I have my new rig and the HP Reverb Aerofly is become more to shine now and I hope that they are working on a more Living world engine with moving water parts and cars, boats and of course AI planes. 

Edited by simba_nl
  • Like 1