Sign in to follow this  
Jim_mids

Changing Drive with a fresh install P3d 4.3

Hi Folks - Firstly let me apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find the same situation.

So, I have P3d 4.3 with quite a few addons, Orbx sceneries, aircraft, PSX, real traffic, etc .. but stupidly I installed everything on my SSD - which is now full! My D drive still has tons of room free (over 1.5tb). 

If I uninstall everything and download from LM site, would that be the latest version? I think its 4.5? 

Also, as far as the uninstall goes, is it just a case of working through each addon and P3D - uninstalling the lot? Then redownloading and installing on my D drive?

Sorry for the noobish question, really appreciate any replies.  

Jim 

JIm,

That is far too much work when all you need to do is transfer data from a small SSD to a larger one. I'm guessing your D drive is HDD and if that's correct don't even think of moving data there. It's far too slow.

The easiest way is to install software that will transfer the data to a new SSD for you even if the drive includes the OS. I've used AOMEI Backupper for years which includes a Disk Clone option. In short, buy a new SSD, download and install AOMEI, connect the SSD to your computer and launch Backupper to transfer the data.

OTOH, if your D drive is an SSD then uninstall your largest scenery packages and install to the D drive. Be aware some software may not allow you to change the installation folder.

When you have completed all the file movements then update to 4.5 which is client only and simple to do.

https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/clone-ssd-to-larger-ssd-windows-10-8523.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 hours ago, Jim_mids said:

So, I have P3d 4.3 with quite a few addons, Orbx sceneries, aircraft, PSX, real traffic, etc .. but stupidly I installed everything on my SSD - which is now full! My D drive still has tons of room free (over 1.5tb). 

I have my P3D on my C:\ drive and all of the addon's on D:\ including all Orbx using a symbolic link which alone saved 220 GB on my C:\ drive.  Also, if your P3D drive is also your system drive, you can save significant drive space by moving all downloaded installers for flight simulation to a second drive.  There is no rule that says downloaded files have to be in the default \Downloads folders.

In most cases moving each scenery item has to be done item by item except the symbolic link for Orbx.

P3Dv4.4+ is highly recommended.  Latest is P3Dv4.5.12.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP