Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

September 19th, 2019 [Update]

There have been plenty people on the Avsim forums that have already stated they will not be switching to this new sim and sticking with what they have currently (P3D etc..) for various reasons, but each to their own. I for one will definitely be investing in a new whizz-bang PC, and am looking forward to the release. Am taking early retirement next year and will spend my days simming my heart out 🙂

• Like 5

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

2 hours ago, adino said:

Really?? just because there is some type of flaw in an alpha build?

Who cares anyway we are after a flight sim not a CAD-sim...

My comment might have been sarcasm.

I thought that little sweating smiling emoji would have done that, but perhaps I should have gone with the old /s.

4 minutes ago, dongdongliushui said:

This sim will be a total disaster...to the other sims.

DCS --> not affected.

Prepared --> The great Migration continues, but most will move to FS2020 especially if their planes work. Heavily invested simmers will go on.

AFS2 -->  Declining base. Will attract fewer new simmers in future, but some casuals (VR simmers) will buy in. Who knows about AFS3?

FSX --> Steam users / old timers. They live in their own world. Blissfully unaware.  Like the old grandpa pops who never sells their rusty clunker. 

FS2020 --> Widest appeal especially to new guys, young and old, PC and Xbox. The brand, the logo, the marketing, the saturation, it will be Big.

X Plane --> Newer simmers will seriously consider migrating to FS2020. However, XP is a deep a simulation by now and further flight model upgrades, Vulkan, multi-core etc are in the works. And it has thriving developer community and payware addons. New planes and scenery are arriving every week. XP is only going to get better. And of course it is supported by developers such as Zibo and team who have created the best, most advanced and most immersive Airliner simulation of Any sim. In 5 years from now it will be back to the future: XP vs FS, just like the old days.   

• Like 2

Just now, Greazer said:

X Plane --> Newer simmers will seriously consider migrating to FS2020. However, XP is a deep a simulation by now and further flight model upgrades, Vulkan, multi-core etc are in the works. And it has thriving developer community and payware addons. New planes and scenery are arriving every week. XP is only going to get better. And of course it is supported by developers such as Zibo and team who have created the best, most advanced and most immersive Airliner simulation of Any sim. In 5 years from now it will be back to the future: XP vs FS, just like the old days.   

X-Plane is going to have to do what Microsoft did.  They have to be able to separate the old graphics engine from the aerodynamic portion of the engine so they it can be essentially "hot-swapped".

Vulcan can only do so much here.  You can not get anything like procedural textured grass just because you move your code closer to the metal.

If they do not overhaul the graphics engine and pull it away from the flight dynamics, I do not think X-Plane will be again competing with MS after this new sim.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Just now, Gulfstream said:

If they do not overhaul the graphics engine and pull it away from the flight dynamics, I do not think X-Plane will be again competing with MS after this new sim.

The X-Plane Graphics engine is not now, or in future, linked to the Flight model system in any way at all. Completely separate systems from separate developers. In fact 11.40 release is all about Flight modeling improvements Only, and 11.45 will be Vulkan Only.  

7 minutes ago, Greazer said:

The X-Plane Graphics engine is not now, or in future, linked to the Flight model system in any way at all. Completely separate systems from separate developers. In fact 11.40 release is all about Flight modeling improvements Only, and 11.45 will be Vulkan Only.  

If that's the case then why haven't they just licensed something like trueSKY and blown clouds and weather out of the water already?  They seem to be going to Vulkan to try to push more frames with the existing engine and developer APIs, which can only get you so far.

Anyway, this is neither here nor there, as the topic is MSFS.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be un-cautiously optimistic. Finally we're gonna leapfrog 15 years forward from the past (visually and performance-wise) and get on par with the rest of the gaming world. Hopefully the "You can't compare flight sims to other games!" myth will vanish in a year from now.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

To use an anology a dog owner may understand...."like a puppy peeing with excitement".....what we've seen so far is amazing..

I still remember the first months of FSX ownership where I didn't have a PC with enough grunt to run the sim and then when I had a powerful PC the sim couldn't take advantage of the available resources. 

If nothing else having a modern sim which can utilise today's computer resources more efficiently will be so welcome. 

Frankly I don't care if anything is backward compatible because I'll always have P3D just in case.

Edited by YMMB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

XP vs FS, just like the old days

The old days...nah, not really. When FSX was still actively supported by MS, XP8 was barely even an "also ran". XP10 was probably the first version that really offered a compelling alternative...and that didn't come out until when? 2014? XP is a good sim. I use it more so than P3D these days. MS, though, appears to really be pulling out the stops for this next release. It is not going to satisfy everyone, I'm sure. That's why it is great to have choice.

I'd like to say that I'm really only interested in aircraft that, within reason, behave like their real-world counterparts in flight modeling, systems, and procedures and that visuals are just the cherry on top...but DANG have you seen those cherries! ...Mmmmm cherries 🤤.  Ok, I've got to snap out of it...unbelievably gorgeous scenery like we've never seen in a civilian flight sim before will be disappointing if deep flight simulation experience isn't there. There I said it. (But I'd bet MS is going to deliver both)

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Chris

4 hours ago, Greazer said:

In xp10, didn’t it used to say in the graphics settings, or in the guide that Phillipe (I think) did that you had to make sure you set stuff so that it didn’t dip below 20fps specifically because it would affect the flight model?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

I'm gonna be un-cautiously optimistic. Finally we're gonna leapfrog 15 years forward from the past (visually and performance-wise) and get on par with the rest of the gaming world. Hopefully the "You can't compare flight sims to other games!" myth will vanish in a year from now.

As most should know the sim that presently offers me the best time at the desktop is far from being the sort of stuff I used for year - "professional products..." eheheh

I became a real Fan of War Thunder, and it smashes pretty much all other sims I have installed or backed up because they do not fit my small 250 GB SSD, and why? Because of the great / smooth / immersive / fast / filled with detail sceneries, and the thrill it is to play WT in occasional air combats ( simulator mode only, of course ... :-) ) 

Close, very close, to what MS FLIGHT represented, which was by far my preferred sim so far - Ever! 

I guess FS 2020 could be even better than MS FLIGHT - I seriouly hope so too Murmur...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It all seems very tempting but I'm all too aware of the saying "If it looks too good to be true ....." so I'm going to continue waiting for more information. This is after all a title that is targeted for release towards the end of 2020 so it's quite possible that some features may not scale up easily or have adverse performance implications as they're developed further.

Give people power to really test their personality.

13 hours ago, adino said:

Awesome and the video as well....

is there a new one I missed?

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"