Sign in to follow this  
kietaylor

How Can I Fix Blurry Textures?

About 4 days ago I noticed that the ground textures on my sim were blurry. I have no idea what has caused this, I've never had this problem before. It seems to have started suddenly completely out of the blue and I can't fix it. I've tried EVERYTHING. At first I simply thought restarting my sim would fix it, but it didn't. I restarted my computer and that didn't fix it either. I even completely uninstalled FSX and reinstalled it and that didn't fix it either. The only thing that has seemly partially fixed it is limiting my frame rate to 24FPS and then setting fsx fiber_frame_time_fraction to 0.50. After doing that my textures only blur at random. During testing I flew at 2000 ft altitude at 600 knots, most of the time there was no blurring at all, but there'd be occasional blurred textures. Which is good enough, I intentionally flew at such a high speed to stress test it. If I can go at 600 knots and only get occasional blurrys, then I can definitely go 200 knots without a problem.

There are still some problems though. I still get severe blurries on my ORBX US sceneries. It's not quite as severe as the blurring in the US sceneries, but my ORBX Ireland scenery blurs a lot too. I've tried reducing my graphics settings, but it doesn't have any effect on the blurries in those areas. I previously ran FSX with all settings maxed out and never had any blurries so I doubt it's caused by my settings being set to high. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Why has it started so suddenly?

I haven't tested it out yet, but around the time I first started getting blurred textures I purchased and installed OpenLC North America. Could that be what's causing it? Even if i'm not even flying around in North America could having such a large add-on installed be causing my sim to load slower?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Here's everything I've already tried out, so don't recommend this stuff:

• updating graphics drivers
  • reinstalled FSX
  • deleted fsx.cfg so FSX creates a new one
  • deleted scenery.cfg so FSX creates a new one
  • reducing graphics settings
  • tweaking FSX.cfg

Here's 2 images showing an example of the blurries

https://imgur.com/a/ioMoBME

Edited by kietaylor

Have you checked to see if some other process outside FSX is hitting your CPU when this happens?  The blurries, generally speaking, are a result of the CPU not keeping up with scenery loading demand.  So usually it means that either there is some other big load hitting the CPU (e.g. AV or search indexer scans, the recent Win 10 update "Bing" bug, malware etc), or it could also mean the CPU is slowing down (e.g. thermal throttling due to overheat).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I agree with Mr. Scott (w6kd), if everything was working fine and all of a sudden you are experiencing blurry textures, it is a good indication that their is either a background process or program running and it is using the CPU.  Heat can also cause issues by making the CPU run slower to protect itself from damage.  Make sure the inside of the computer case, the components, fans, and cooling fins are free of dust.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

13 hours ago, kietaylor said:

I purchased and installed OpenLC North America

Get GEX (the competitor).  Those textures were specifically optimized for better performance with FSX.  They replaced the default textures.

13 hours ago, kietaylor said:

I previously ran FSX with all settings maxed out and never had any blurries

Having your settings maxed out only increases the chances for the blurries in FSX.  One should never ever max out all of the settings.  Not only will you have anomalies but you will also lose virtual address space (VAS) faster, especially with high autogen and AI settings.  I am shocked and in disbelief that someone was able to max out their settings and have no blurries or other anomalies.  You might be the first.  I have tried to max all my settings just to see what it looks like.  It works for a bit then anomalies start showing up.  The AVSIM Basic FSX Configuration Guide provides settings considered the best for FSX.  It uses the NVIDIA Inspector utility for graphic settings.  The guide has a link to the latest version.  There you can make settings that are not available in the Nvidia Display Driver. 

As explained in the AVSIM Guide, I have been able to exceed 300 fps with the default FSX and graphics settings.  Then I install an add-on and the fps plummet to less than 100.  So yes, add-ons can affect performance.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I 2nd getting the Avsim Basic FSX Configuration Guide. I went through it and followed it's recommendations and had a significant improvement in visual quality and performance. And I run FSX on what the younger gamers over at Steam commonly refer to as a 'potato.' Translated; a very under resourced PC.  😉 

• Like 1

Really appreciate the comments and recommendation.  I use the Guide even though I have a very powerful system but I have to be careful and watch the VAS usage.  It was written mainly for our new members but glad those who have been around in the forums are also using it.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just an idea - have you checked that your antialiasing settings are set to anisotropic?

Intel core i5-9600KF,  ASRock H310CM-HDV/M2, G.Skill DDR4-2666 32GB, Asus Geforce RTX 4060 TI 16GB, Samsung SSD 980 1 TB M.2 SSD