Sign in to follow this  
b1bmsgt

Made the move

Ok Jcomm and Paraffin. I like everything you both posted. Makes sense. I never picked that up in X-Plane 11. My attention is on the aircraft and how realistic it flys.

Thank-you both for your replies.

7 hours ago, leon310 said:

Please explain why the ATC and the moon phases? I never have used ATC in the simulator, I do fly on IVAO all the time, but avoid ATC like a hot potato. I know ATC is a must in real world, but in a simulator?

I am a hermit, loner and do not like being told what to do. Some people like realism in these areas.

I hope LR waits on X-Plane 12 for at least another year. Gives me time to buy a bigger computer.

Great day to fly, see ya in the air.

I‘d love to have good AI ATC too. I never have a quiet and protected environment if I fire up the PC and go flying. I’m living in a kind of nut house. Two kids, one handicapped and two dogs begging for food or have to to be walked at unpredictable moments, not to forget my wife lol telling me things when I’m on final, I enjoy the use of the pause key almost every flight. I don’t have the balls to do IVAO or VATSIM flights under these circumstances.

50 minutes ago, Ralf Maylin said:

not to forget my wife lol telling me things when I’m on final

I think this is universal! My wife can sit there for an hour of cruise and not say anything (believe it or not!), but as soon as i call the tower on 5 mile final she suddenly wants to talk!! Arghhh! Thank goodness for the pause button, but the ole immersion factor really takes a hit there...

Russ

• Upvote 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

11 minutes ago, b1bmsgt said:

I think this is universal! My wife can sit there for an hour of cruise and not say anything (believe it or not!), but as soon as i call the tower on 5 mile final she suddenly wants to talk!! Arghhh! Thank goodness for the pause button, but the ole immersion factor really takes a hit there...

Russ

I feel your pain. They even seem to have some kind of tower radar in the car and the door bell rings on final approach every time and I have to pick up at least 5 shopping bags. Yes, the pause key is a killer but it saves the passengers.

1 minute ago, Ralf Maylin said:

Yes, the pause key is a killer but it saves the passengers.

Yup, but they get a little bored sitting there waiting at 500 feet or so...

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

I am the yaper, I am the one trying to talk to my wife when she is trying to watch a tv show. My wife does not come in my man cave at all. She is the quiet one.

My man cave is a no fly zone for my wife. Why? She does not like my inflight movies.

Good day to fly, see ya all in the air.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:18 AM, jcomm said:

FS 2020 will change your choice 🙂

But X-Plane is still 1st place among my two sandbox flight simulators, XP and DCS..., just not stable enough for serious development IMHO...

The new MS simulator will, almost for sure, bring back to the franchise most of the civil flightsimmers, and although I am so uninterested in civil sims these days, I have to admit I'll try it for sure, and who knows, finally find my MS FLIGHT energy back, after 7 - 8 long years of a walk in the desert of civil flight simulation.

FS 2020 is releasing in 2020 but payware will release around 2030-2035...............😂i'll be dead by the time PMDG releases a plane for FS2020😃

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Arthur42417 said:

FS 2020 is releasing in 2020 but payware will release around 2030-2035...............😂i'll be dead by the time PMDG releases a plane for FS2020😃

I sometimes think the same about when XP is going to get a stable FDM... 🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 9/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, jcomm said:

Well Loner,

.) The Moon because if a simulator is meant to simulate "Fying on Earth" than representing the Moon, and it's phases makes it closer to real, just as it does IRL, and ends up being a factor for instance when you do night VFR. What good is to have it represented when it doesn't anywhere appear in the skies like IRL ?

.) The proper daylight effects, by the same token. I really get irritated when I am trying to simulate a departure from LPPT at sometime in Autumn / Winter and it's still a lot of daylight outside my office while in XP it's pitch dark 😕

.) The ATC because I do not use VATSIM or IVAO, or even less payed services, and I would like to have a decent ATC robot, which is something I believe would not be that complex to implement... Heck, I had a very nice one already in my good old Flight Assignement ATP ...

You know, the great thing about LR is that you can directly contact Austin. If you sell the moon and sun thingys correctly by maybe stressing the importance for flight training he might just be interested enough to implement it or forward it to the rest of the team.

As for ATC, it's more complex than you think. Especially down at the core. Try to dissect the required information flows for, say, an altitude clearance during an approach in mountaineous terrain with other traffic in the vicinity and you'll see what I mean.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

On 9/23/2019 at 2:18 AM, jcomm said:

FS 2020 will change your choice 🙂

But X-Plane is still 1st place among my two sandbox flight simulators, XP and DCS..., just not stable enough for serious development IMHO...

The new MS simulator will, almost for sure, bring back to the franchise most of the civil flightsimmers,

The latest "development / reveal" video confirmed that MSFS will be cloud-based and subscription.  Both of those are deal breakers for me.  I will happily stay with XP.

37 minutes ago, alderon57 said:

The latest "development / reveal" video confirmed that MSFS will be cloud-based and subscription.  Both of those are deal breakers for me.  I will happily stay with XP.

And that opens up the possibility of subscription-based add-ons etc ;-)  I will also stay with trusty old X-Plane.

2 hours ago, alderon57 said:

? Where have you got that 'info' from?  Link?

7 hours ago, alderon57 said:

There is no evidence for this that I've heard of. Certainly not in any of the recent MS Insider page briefings or videos.

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

8 hours ago, alderon57 said:

This is great news if true (for me anyway). I dont want to pay $$$ for new hardware and then still have to turn half the features off because an addon cuts my frame rates in half. I was hoping and thought  this would be cloud based. 

The subscription is less than a new computer. I can understand why it's a deal breaker for you but this is great news for people like me who dont want to pay $$$$ for a new computer or worry about framerates and installing and tweaking all the time. 

I am a little surprised people thought the graphics in those videos and the 2 petaflops of scenery was going to run on their pc.

Edited by sanh