Sign in to follow this  
b1bmsgt

Made the move

10 minutes ago, sanh said:

This is great news if true (for me anyway). I dont want to pay $$$ for new hardware and then still have to turn half the features off because an addon cuts my frame rates in half. I was hoping and thought  this would be cloud based. 

This has NOT been confirmed, unless I and a bunch of others have missed something. MS has said nothing so far about subscription, and they've said it can be flown in an offline mode.

What some of us are guessing, is that the flight sim engine will run locally on the user's PC, but the more complex version of the scenery will be streamed and buffered if you're online, and if you have a fast enough connection. The offline version would have more basic scenery.

And again, this is just a guess based on hints we've seen, like the amount of data shown in the scenery previews, and the fact that MS is asking for info about Internet connection speed and data caps in the signup for the Tech Alpha. There is ZERO confirmation as far as I know, that MSFS will require a subscription.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

11 hours ago, alderon57 said:

The latest "development / reveal" video confirmed that MSFS will be cloud-based and subscription.

I just watched the video twice and I don't see that information anywhere. Where did you see it??

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

33 minutes ago, alderon57 said:

This was the video where it was mentioned.  But on a newer video, he seems to have backed away from this "fact"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isVmSRZT5e8

That's not an official Microsoft channel. He's just making a wild guess, like everyone else outside the program.

Simply put, speculation aside, I would be damned surprised if it is not a subscription model, its is where all MS$ products are at, its where the money is, and they have you hooked, like a bait fish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Simply put, speculation aside, I would be damned surprised if it is not a subscription model, its is where all MS$ products are at, its where the money is, and they have you hooked, like a bait fish.

We know it's not a purely subscription model, because they have said there will be an offline, standalone mode. 

There may be streamed elements like scenery, and it may also be available as part of the XBox subscription service as an option, but the core sim has NOT been confirmed as subscription only. We shouldn't be spreading disinformation like this.

If it's not subscription, I'd like to know how they'll cover the streaming scenery costs to several hundred thousand people.

My guess is, base sim/offline mode...one time cost.  Scenery streaming...subscription.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

We shouldn't be spreading disinformation like this.

It is only disinformation in I said it was so, I said I wouldnt be surprised, I guess to many are looking for that magic bullet. I have no confidence in microsoft, none.

4 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Hm, no MS flightsim is suscription based and the Windows 10 upgrade is even free... 

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Hm, no MS flightsim is suscription based and the Windows 10 upgrade is even free... 

Free, nothing is free in this world. And it was never an upgrade it was a virus forced upon people without there knowledge nor consent. Isnt that a virus...

4 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Free, nothing is free in this world. And it was never an upgrade it was a virus forced upon people without there knowledge nor consent. Isnt that a virus...

LOL, are you serious? 

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

LOL, are you serious?  

I guess you must of being sleeping when those people woke up and started their PCs and there was win 10 installing itself.

But Xplane love it not going anywhere else, will be my last flightsim.

Edited by mjrhealth

Good to see xplane has a strong loyal following. Can only be good for the future of flight sims

• Like 1

ZORAN

13 hours ago, GoranM said:

If it's not subscription, I'd like to know how they'll cover the streaming scenery costs to several hundred thousand people.

My guess is, base sim/offline mode...one time cost.  Scenery streaming...subscription.

Right, that's why I was careful to say that we know it won't be purely subscription, because there will be an offline mode. In other words, it won't be a requirement to run the sim at all. A subscription might be required for the streamed version of the scenery, we just don't know yet.