Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

Win 10 Real Time Protection Problem

For some time now I have had this problem with Real Time Protection (RTP).  I just am curious if anyone else has had it, and have they had any luck resolving it.  All my flights are cross countries controlled by RC.  For a long time, I have not been able to open P3Dv4.4 and now 4.5 with out first going to Windows Defender and turning off RTP anti-virus.  I never turn any of the others on.  In Addition, I am unable to open RC, Quicken, Revo Uninstaller, and a few other programs without first turning off the RTP anti-virus.  I always do it when downloading and installing any flight sim program.  The problem is that my flight sim and RC work fine when I turn off RTP, but it does not always stay off.  For one reason or another it just turns itself back on.  Microsoft tells you in Windows Defender that you can turn it off, but it will reactivate at some point.  All I want to do is turn it off and have it stay off for a flight.  I have recently started turning my eithernet off for a flight, but it appears the anti virus just turns itself back on by itself.  Other than the problems described above, my PC is working like a well oiled machine.  RC is the only program that I'm having a problem with.  And every time, RC quits cold, I get a Runtime 76 or 75 (I can't remember which now), and when I open Windows Defender, RTP is back on in all its Glory.  Any comments will be appreciated.  Take care,

Mike Nicholson, Jetline Systems PC, 4.20 Intel 4 Core i7-7700k CDU, Nividia GTX 1060 6GB card,  32722 mbs memory, Windows 10- 64bit, Prepar3D v4.5

MIke,

In Defender you can have exceptions that it won't monitor. I have to do that for Active Sky but also include the P3Dv4 folder. Just add exceptions for the programs you use and that should fix it.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You pay for want you get and Windows Defender is free with the system!  I've been using ESET Smart Security and its predecessors for over 20 years without issue and certainly without tweaking it before running anything.    Suggest you look at ESET to see if it meets your needs.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

5 hours ago, Thunderbolt44 said:

Hi Ray,

I have executed exceptions for all my Flt Sim stuff.  They don't seem to effect my problem at all.  Mike

Mike, Where do you have RC4 installed? Inside Program Files (x86) by chance? That could be the problem. You should avoid that folder like the plague.

Defender and exceptions works fine for me with P3Dv3, P3Dv4, AS16 and ASv4. They all reside in folders well away from Program Files (x86) and Program Files.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,  I have rcv4x and rcv4 installed as separate folders on my  c drive.  I hate to admit it, but I have P3d installed in Programs from my c drive.  When I installed 4.4 I just let it go where Prepar3d wanted to go.  Most of my non flight sim stuff is on another drive.   I don't understand why I have the two rcv4 folders. I have debated on deleting the rcv4 folder.  Also, it seems Windows 10 can download an update at any time.  You can control when it wants to restart, but other wise you are at MS's mercy.  I saw the other day, that I could turn off the updates for up to35 days.  I did that a couple of days ago, and since turning it off I can open P3d, Quicken and all the other programs I couldn't without turning my Anti virus off.  Have to go, my wife has summoned me to dinner.  Mike

Mike,

Yes, I'm running Win 10.

Jim

Hi Mike,

The two RC4 folders are necessary so don't touch either. Installing P3D to Program Files is not recommended and may explain why the extra protection is kicking in. The best solution is to uninstall it and reinstall to C:\P3Dv4.

I also turn off UAC which, if you're an experienced user, is quite safe. If you're not, leave it on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I have had UAC turned off for ages.  I'm going to turn this problem over to my IT guy first.  This problem is occurring with non flight sim programs that are on my D drive too.  With the exception of RC, I do not have any problem with any other flight sim program.  If I haven't then removed this problem, I will remove P3D from the Program file.  Also, I will have my IT guy look at Jim's advice about getting rid of Windows Defender.  I now see how you can do that.  Winter is on the way, and I'll have more time to play with this stuff as the weather will be less conducive to flying my model airplanes.  You all take care, MIke

• Upvote 1

Mike,

Just as an aside, ESET generally turns off competing other anti-virus systems, but it's way safer to disable them before installing any other anti-virus system.  I've  excluded my FSX-SE folders from ESET as recommended by the FSX Guide.  However, before I did this, I didn't have any problems.

Good luck,

Jim