Sign in to follow this  
Real2Sim

VDEF datarefs

Hi Jean-Luc, the datarefs "sim/cockpit/radios/gps_vdef_dot" is set by default to -3 when no approaches are loaded in even though "RXP/radios/indicators/hsi_vdef_dots_pilot" is at 0. Could you set the gps vdef_dot datarefs according to RXP hsi vdef in the next update so it's also at 0 when no approches are activated ? Thanks a lot 🙂

Hi,

What you're looking for is related to an installation setting available in the AFMS group: V-Flag declutter.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Yes but even with V-Flag Declutter turned off the vertical deviation is still set to -3

(And sorry I just saw that I'm in the FS category instead of XP one)

Edited by Real2Sim

there are limitations with X-Plane which are limiting the capability to override some of the datarefs. In this case, it might be X-Plane doing its tricks behind us. I'll have to cross-check something and I'll get back to this topic later.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Ok I'm back: as far as I've reviewed the reason for this is to 'hide' the needle from view on most aircraft, because otherwise X-Plane doesn't offer the means for plugins to 'display' the G/S flag. The visibility of the flag depends on their own internal interpretation of the various datarefs and even though we're using the 'override_gps' or 'override_nav' appropriately, there is no control on the flag itself.

For this reason and because it was a problem with many aircraft, it has been a long time (roughly 18+ months ago) we've changed the value to be -3 when there is no valid vertical deviation signal, which in turn makes this a permanent V-Flag declutter on these datarefs.

For more complex integration, the GTN publishes its own set of datarefs which are working 100% as expected because it is a direct route to the device, not a virtual route via the datarefs.

NB: this is not an issue on our FltSim versions because we take direct control of the simvars. In effect, there is no such 'override' simvars feature in FltSim SDK so we implement our own with the added benefit of controlling every simvar as we want to. The flip side is that sometimes aircraft vendors are wrongfully using a set of simvars for another gauge (using NAV/VOR simvars for the HSI needles is the typical example).