Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

The 'Et tu Connor' quip - what is the context?

Connor MacLeod?

"There can be only one".

(is it 33 years already? Oh my.)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

Damned if I know.

There was an article a while back when the vet first preview posted that the French studio Asobo was involved in some part.

In French et tu Connor means “and you Connor”. So maybe whoever posted this update was handing it off to someone at Asobo named Connor who’s work will be previewed next.

Thats the only conclusion I can make out of it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I believe it references a fictional microsoft employee that carbonbasedlifeform posted on page 3 of the September 19th update thread.

Microsoft Redmond offices:

"Connor, I'm going to need you to stay late to choose a beautiful screen capture for tomorrow's update. Pretty easy in this sim to find those." Connor's heart stops for a second when he hears what his boss is tasking him with. It's 4:00 am the next morning, release day. Connor is looking at the image in 4k pixel by pixel. He thinks he's covered them all, but he isn't sure anymore because his eyes keep closing. When he wakes up at his desk, he checks the image one more time and posts it. The next day after lunch, Connor finds his boss waiting for him. "I was reading AVSIM. You have to understand some of these guys are saying we have poor quality control and for fans not to their hopes up. Let's talk about this "clipping" error you let through and your future at the company..."

Chris

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

"Et tu Connor" is not proper French.

To means "and you Connor" you should say "et toi Connor"

And if you want to say "are you Connor ?" (like "Sarah Connor ?" in Terminator 2 🤣) you should say "Es tu Connor ?"

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bushido5 said:

"Et tu Connor" is not proper French.

I was just going off of what Google translate picked up, lol. It always seems to have some variation thought as to what is proper.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It’s nothing to do with the french language, I meant given we think the main people making it are french, it may have been a reference to french culture in some way. But it looks like the mystery has been solved anyway (though I still don’t quite get the Shakespeare quote in the context of the fictional Microsoft employee). 

Deeper into the rabbit hole they go...

• Like 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

May be it's meaning is "And you, Connor?" becasue the first sentence is "The team is incredibly excited to... [And you, Connor?]"

Connor @ Microsoft could be a Director of Marketing or someone related to, who knows..

6 hours ago, ctalpas said:

I believe it references a fictional microsoft employee that carbonbasedlifeform posted on page 3 of the September 19th update thread.

It never even occurred to me to think back to this but I think you got it right. 😋

• Like 2