Sign in to follow this  
clif9710

a strange near-miss

After filing my flight plan, getting clearance and taxi instructions that included approval to cross the active runway - 36 (no taxiway to the end of the runway at this airport, MMVR), I informed ATC I was ready to go and was given approval for takeoff. Starting my roll, I noticed a spot in the sky about 10 degrees up that looked like another aircraft making a final to runway 18, the same strip, opposite end, I was using to take off. Being a daredevil who should never be allowed near a RL cockpit, I decided to see for myself if ATC was making a goof. Sure enough, just as I left the ground I got a red traffic alert with verbal command to climb.

I was able to avoid a mid-air and continued on my way then decided to use the replay feature to see what had happened.

I went back to where I started to roll and there was no spot in the sky. I took off and there was no traffic alert.

I'm baffled on two counts - 1) how could ATC have allowed me to take off and 2) how could the replay not reproduce the situation? AI traffic must be random and not covered by the flight recording.

Edited by clif9710

Not all that strange, especially at smaller airports with less AI traffic.

Depending on your Weather Engine, Traffic Engine, and SIM traffic, etc. there are a lot of opportunities for the AI Traffic to be using a runway other than the one selected by P2A.  

You can check the option to "Match SIM Runway if Known", but in many cases, the AI Traffic at an airport may not be in a state that shows the active runway.  You can also try and figure out the active by watching landing and taking off traffic and then "Force Pilot Runway Selection" and Select the departure runway yourself, to ensure you are not taking off against traffic.

Dave

Ok, thanks. Then having other airborne traffic shown is a good thing to do.

Edited by clif9710