Sign in to follow this  
FizziPop

Microsoft Flight Simulator Preview - 30th September

4 hours ago, flightskyc said:

Looks like this will be the sim to get me back into flight simming.

I would imagine scenery houses like Orbx are also concerned about their future, considering their main business is world and large area scenery. I doubt many people will be buying scenery after the release of this.

In the article from that website (in Dutch, but Google translate works well) it is said that, because data are taken from Bing, and sometimes the last update was made on 2017, some details are missing: they made an example for Seattle, where some building were not available during their test flight.

Therefore for VFR, unless they don't update Bing, additional sceneries will still be necessary.

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

12 minutes ago, Mirach said:

Therefore for VFR, unless they don't update Bing, additional sceneries will still be necessary.

They said that they will be updating the scenery data pool as newer satellite imagery becomes available and processed. They intend to keep the world up to date.

• Like 3

Can’t believe we’re transitioning to an era where we’re complaining whether the VFR-ready scenery is updated enough rather than whether it looks realistic enough. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 makes me feel like a kid again in the 1990's😅

Edited by Arthur42417
  • Like 2

Journalist - "What is the view distance?"

MSFS Team - "Hmmm, don't remember, I think it's 600km for the clouds and for the ground, hmmm, don't know exactly but basically it's up to the horizon..."

Loooool

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I'm floored, like everybody else. But I think it's important that we be ready to accept that some things will take some time (and versions?) to get ironed out. The part "Fudging the data" in this preview highlights issues that are not surprising (I was accepting them once I learned more about the way they were creating the FS world), but that will certainly get many people up in arms once we get our hands on the product:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/30/20885197/microsoft-flight-simulator-bing-maps-hands-on-demo

• Like 2

Wow!  Just spectacular.

Looking forward to seeing what they're doing with ATC and AI traffic.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

"The scenery is built on Bing satellite and aerial imagery, augmented with cool buzzwordy stuff like photogrammetric 3D modeling and multiple other data sources, all of which is streamed via Microsoft’s Azure cloud service. Yes, the word streaming means you’ll need an internet connection, but you can download and pre-cache scenery areas for offline use, or even fly in a fully offline mode."

Great news for a lot of you. It will be streamed, but can be saved offline to fly in certain areas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Are there any clues about Seasons and snow/water accumulation?

Nope. Some night lighting missing as well.

They just aren't there yet, and that's if it makes the first release. Seasons may be something down the line as technology improves. It's way too early to have stuff like that done when they are still creating the underlying world. Even if they have some parts of it done, it'd be too buggy and bad looking to show at an event like this.

Edited by bonchie

4 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Are there any clues about Seasons and snow/water accumulation?

No more so than XPlane at this point, but we can hope.

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Absolutely astonished by what I'm seeing.... thank you Microsoft not only for reviving Flight Simulator, but bringing it forward to a level we could only dream about.

Ken

http://inspire.eaa.org/2019/09/30/an-inside-look-at-microsofts-newest-flight-simulator/

Reposting this so people don't miss it. Not seeing a lot of people comment on it. READ THIS.

Real world weather, full wind simulation (including mountain downdrafts shown), and rain shafts. There's a picture of a rain shaft and it looks so real.

Also, backwards compatibility via a legacy mode is coming.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

From the Polygon preview:

"And yes, that realism extends to weather events like real-world hurricanes.

“I was on the phone with [Asobo Studios] the other day,” said Jorg Neumann, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator. “And it’s actually a bittersweet story. [...] They said, ‘Jorg, here’s what we just did; We flew through Dorian in runtime.’ It was accurately there and it was moving up the east coast.

“I remember the comment [from the team] was, ‘We dove through it and we have some bugs because the eye wall isn’t exactly right.”

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4