Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

A stunning preview today but we are still in the dark for...

52 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

• @FDEdev to clarify my point on N1/N2 during start, it's the "surge" you get during start up where the engine shoots beyond normal idle values, it should just smoothly spool up to idle after fuel is introduced, although ITT/EGT will have a big peak. There's no penalty for introducing fuel too early during the start either, in real life you could get a hot start or even fire from that.
  •  There is essentially no simulation of beta range or the braking effect fine propeller pitch causes (Majestic's Q400 got around this by simulating all this outside FSX/P3D. But that shouldn't be necessary in my opinion, it's quite basic behaviour for most props).

Don't know what add-ons you are talking about, but neither jets (FSX and P3D) or turboprops (P3D) suffer from any unrealistic 'surge' during start up with a good FDE.

The same goes for the propeller braking effect.   No need for the often mentioned 'outside FSX/P3D' programming. That's all straight forward FSX/P3D SDK use.

But I fully agree that the leaning simulation is very unrealistic as are the 'reversed' sounds for piston props concerning constant speed props.      

Some addons have it sorted, but I was under the impression the values displayed in the cockpit of those weren't actual values from the sim engine, if it can be done easily using the standard SDK then I guess that's just poor quality development, however the default aircraft display the surging behaviour. I've only seen proper prop/beta braking in the Majestic Q400 which is entirely outwith the FSX/P3D aerodynamic simulation.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

If they haven't talked about it I would assume it might not be in the initial release. As others have mentioned, this is going to be an ongoing project. MS/Asobo will add more features and so will 3rd party developers.

8 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

however the default aircraft display the surging behaviour. 

Which serious simmer is using unmodified default aircraft in FSX/P3D?  I really hope that the MSFS aircraft will be way better/usable. 

That being said, at least the C172 and the DR400 still need quite a bit of additional work.

Edited by FDEdev

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

There is carb icing but the onset is far slower than real life, also using carb heat doesn't result in a reduction in RPM/power you would see in reality

I have no idea on carb icing onset timeing.  Carb heat does indeed result in a reduction of RPM (noted during runup) and power (noted during flight).  

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

Leaning behaviour is suspect, EGT behaves correctly but its relationship with fuel flow I think is a bit "wonky" and you can't really lean by ear. I also think you lean far more aggressively in FSX/P3D than in reality.

I don't know how EGT and fuel flow act in reality.  I do know that peak power and peak fuel flow are not the same in the sim.  As for leaning aggressively, Stephen Coonts in "The Cannibal Queen" tended to lean very aggressively at altitudes as low as 1200 feet.  A couple of times he mentions engine hesitation and the second time he figured out it was because he was running too lean.  I wrote some code to model this behavior.

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

I don't recall seeing the oil pressure drop you would associate with cycling the prop condition lever.

I'd have to check again, but if RPM drops enough it definitely does affect oil pressure.  I've written code to model changes in oil pressure due to changes in oil temperature as well, taken from Coonts descriptions in his book.

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

if you change the manifold pressure and prop RPM stays the same, the sounds shouldn't change in pitch significantly.

There are separate entries in the sound files for combustion and prop sounds, as well as a non-combustion sound.  If a given aircraft sounds are not right, it's up to the developer to fix that, not part of the base sim.  What really annoys me is an aircraft with constant speed prop combining engine and prop sounds so that there is only one.  During approach when you push the prop control full forward at low manifold pressure, it sounds like you are running full throttle.  Most modern add-on aircraft do not do this from what I've seen.

The visual effect of accumulating ice on wing leading edges should be doable by creating a "gauge" for it, with the "needle" being the visual ice that's hidden within the wing when the airframe ice variable is zero.  I can't create this myself as it would require additions to the interior model file and that's not in my skill set.

Originally people thought the airframe icing effect was simply adding weight to the aircraft, and unfortunately my earliest reports on icing may have contributed to this.  There IS a very small weight increase, about right for the amount of weight the ice would add, but the actual effects on flight have to be from lift and drag changes due to icing.  The effects are quite dramatic with high ice accumulations.

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

Whilst icing is present in FSX/P3D an atmosphere layer is simply assigned as having ice without regard to moisture, you can get icing when well clear of cloud and rain in the sim, so long as SAT is below 0

The presence of icing is controlled by the weather generator, not the sim.  Often you will be expecting ice but not getting it, or getting ice when you aren't expecting it.  This seems to correlate well with pilots' memoirs I've read.  It is possible to get icing in clear air when humidity is high.

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

I've never seen it have an effect on the aerodynamics or weight

I guarantee it's happening.  Usually you don't notice it until it's too late.  I created a gauge that displays the ice accumulation variable used by the sim, currently combined with an OAT gauge, but also displayed on the GPS.  Without such a gauge one cannot understand the actual effects of ice in the sim.

After my first forced landing due to ice in the Goose I added de-icing boots, which worked nicely, with just a change to the aircraft.cfg file.

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

Thus far nothing has been said about engine simulation and I'm hoping all the above are fixed/simulated because it really can impact on how you operate the aircraft.

You might guess from my study of FSX icing that I'm very interested in how it's handled in the new sim.  I'm just hoping that I can create the necessary "gauges" to keep track of the internal situation, because without them you are shooting in the dark.

3 hours ago, eslader said:

I've never seen airframe icing. And not for lack of trying.

Check your weather map or METARs for freezing rain, and fly though that for a while. 🙂  The only problem is, the sim doesn't always respect what you think the weather should be doing.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 minutes ago, LHookins said:

As for leaning aggressively, Stephen Coonts in "The Cannibal Queen" tended to lean very aggressively at altitudes as low as 1200 feet.  A couple of times he mentions engine hesitation and the second time he figured out it was because he was running too lean.  I wrote some code to model this behavior.

Too litte leaning is the far worse problem. In FSX/P3D you 'have' to lean way too much and if you don't, the engine will die at approx 10000ft which is complete nonsense. Loss of power due to lack of leaning is way overdone. Never understood why LM didn't fix this item, especially since they are selling P3D as a 'training tool'.

13 hours ago, peroni said:

Can we safely say that a pc based on a 9700k with an RTX 2080 (or AMD equivalents) will be abundant to run the sim at 4K resolution with at least 30 fps on a single screen?

Those components should be cheaper by the time FS2020 is released.

In the flightsim.com podcast, one of the developers said (if I understood correctly) that they are getting an average of 41 fps at 4K. I presume with high specs PCs similar to what you mentioned. He also said the game is GPU limited, so with half the pixels (2K , 2560x1440) they would have gotten double average fps (82). He also said that the pre-alpha is obviously still to be optimized, so the release version should have better performance.

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

ATC and AI aircraft?

Are they at least included?

Chris Camp

Just now, Kilo60 said:

ATC and AI aircraft?

Are they at least included?

Go right to the horse's mouth (the linked audio interview)

8 hours ago, Murmur said:

In the flightsim.com podcast, one of the developers said (if I understood correctly) that they are getting an average of 41 fps at 4K. I presume with high specs PCs similar to what you mentioned. He also said the game is GPU limited, so with half the pixels (2K , 2560x1440) they would have gotten double average fps (82). He also said that the pre-alpha is obviously still to be optimized, so the release version should have better performance.

Average hmmm... what was the fps in a hard turn looking to the side with a view to a densely constructed area 😏 ? Average without indication of the period recorded time and the standard deviation doesn’t tell the whole story. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam