Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

From what I've read i various surveys, VR is 2% to 4% of the flight sim market.

Given the low frame rate in some of the videos, it's likely that showing that kind of detail in VR would result in unacceptable performance.  But this is a very early build of the sim, there will be additional optimization, development will not stop at release, and VR is likely at some point in the future.

I noticed that they didn't have TrackIR either, which would suffer from similar problems with frame rates.

It's really too early to worry about it at this point.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 minutes ago, WarpD said:

VR isn't very useful in a training environment, to be honest.

VR is amazing in a training environment.....or else it wouldn't be a military training aid lately and I would be out of a job

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 9

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Just now, mpo910 said:

Yes, I know. I just wanted to take all chances to chime and probably get attention to it

They already know at Microsoft it may come later.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Why? Big Houses like LM, VW, BMW, Airbus, Boeing, are using it to train peaple. 

• Like 5

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 minutes ago, WarpD said:

A2A published a pic of their real world training on one of their new aircraft.  The pilots are wearing VR headsets.

Asobo has an augmented reality system, and I'm going to guess that eventually that will become a Microsoft VR system at some point.  Hopefully next generation stuff.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 minutes ago, WarpD said:

I'm sorry, what?

Spatial awareness, correct feeling of distances, being able to properly look for other aircraft or where a runway is, this isn't supposed to be useful for training? Are you taking us for a ride?!

• Like 4

Just now, LHookins said:

A2A published a pic of their real world training on one of their new aircraft.  The pilots are wearing VR headsets.

Asobo has an augmented reality system, and I'm going to guess that eventually that will become a Microsoft VR system at some point.  Hopefully next generation stuff.

Hook

So.....potentials enough. But I want it on release and not in a couple of years. Come on guys....chime here and don´t be shy and search for something to kill a requirement.

I WANt it early. For me VR is a huge benefit to geht people in there (not only flightsim). But here I am chiming for flightsimmers (as myself)

• Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

When teaching cockpit familiarization (where the physical items are)... being unable to actually SEE the hardware is a significant issue.  If I put you in a full motion sim with a VR headset on... you would be using touch to try to find your switches, knobs and buttons.  Most training is done with physical hardware, where you need to see what you're reaching for.

• Like 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

2 minutes ago, rjfry said:

They already know at Microsoft it may come later.

No harm in being vocal about it to let Asobo know that plenty of people were really hoping for this at launch.

Even an announcement that "we will support VR within a year of launch" would satisfy a lot of us rather than "maybe, maybe never".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nickhod said:

No harm in being vocal about it to let Asobo know that plenty of people were really hoping for this at launch.

Let's be honest, it's always a very vocal minority. Same 2-3 people who claim they will NOT be buying it and millions of people want VR, while those threads gather cobwebs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

10 minutes ago, nickhod said:

The VR flight sim market is small and I guess that's why the decision to not include VR at launch.

However, it desperately needed a "killer app" like MSFS to do a great VR implementation out of the box to drive up adoption.

Maybe I'm an exception in terms of how much I like VR, but once I got my Rift, I lost all interest in 2D gaming. Why would I want to view a game through a monitor when I can be in the game?

I haven't tried VR yet . But does it actually feel like you are in the game as you said ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

1 minute ago, WarpD said:

When teaching cockpit familiarization (where the physical items are)... being unable to actually SEE the hardware is a significant issue.  If I put you in a full motion sim with a VR headset on... you would be using touch to try to find your switches, knobs and buttons.  Most training is done with physical hardware, where you need to see what you're reaching for.

Full motion sims with full cockpit hardware are a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of flight sim use.

I don't see how this is relevant to not supporting VR.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WarpD said:

If I put you in a full motion sim with a VR headset on... you would be using touch to try to find your switches, knobs and buttons.

Who would need to use a VR headset in a full motion simulator? There is no need to virtually simulate what is already built right in front of you. 

Perhaps you should try using examples that actually make sense...

Edited by Farlis

If you look at flight simmers today most don't have the hardware that can run the sim for VR let alone the extra cost of the VR hardware, 

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

23 minutes ago, rjfry said:

At the moment VR is not mainstream on any platform for the future possibly.

Yes you can stay with what you have the rest will move enough to make MSFS a big success.

Simply untrue..

VR is gaining steam with every year.

It has already made its way in and spearheaded multiple platforms in gaming and simulation.

MSFS was being worked on 5 year ago when VR was stll in infancy before WMR was even a thing.

WMR's future is uncertain...but the other VR HMD devs are full steam ahead

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2