Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

5 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

How do you come to 200? Maybe put a link on in here so that we can talk about realistic numbers. and validate the 200. That would be appreciated a lot.

http://inspire.eaa.org/2019/09/30/an-inside-look-at-microsofts-newest-flight-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR0dYUMkYaBXH04K2Ua8OopuxV5Ru-SHWBewVEzcqfCKBeLpxdy-hHgXxoc

Also Wikipedia says Asobo was 140+ people in 2018

Edited by Spit40

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

And I cant believe all of that 140 is all on one project.  Or MSFS is their only project.  Third party suppliers cant survive like that. 

Lucky if 10 people total from Asobo are working on this. 

Heck, where I am this instant we have 4 project managers,  4 in house developers,  6 offshore, and we have 34 applications 

I CAN NOT see myself going backwards. I fly exclusively in vr and there is no other way for me. Give us some option Microsoft! I’m willing to turn things down and I’m even willing to throw a 2080ti where my 1080 is now, just give us the option!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

3 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

And I cant believe all of that 140 is all on one project.  Or MSFS is their only project.  Third party suppliers cant survive like that. 

Lucky if 10 people total from Asobo are working on this. 

Heck, where I am this instant we have 4 project managers,  4 in house developers,  6 offshore, and we have 34 applications 

MS Game Division hires entire studios for projects, and they are not the only ones in the industry. Its a very common practice nowadays. 

33 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

OK you mean 200 peaple at Asobo...sorry...thought 200 using VR. But why would you need 10 to develop VR? 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

But...honestly I don´t care. I care about getting VR in a state of the art simulator like MSFS 2020. And as I thought their decission on this one got in an wrong direction I thought we have to chime to get what we want. I find it quite impressive to get 200+ replies on one threat in ca 2 days

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

5 hours ago, LHookins said:

...and number two is seasons.

So a handful of very vocal people making a lot of posts demanding VR prioritizes VR over seasons, something everyone wants.  Maybe the Seasons people should be more vocal and demanding.

Hook

VR has been the top request, and seasons have come in second. They are really listening to the most vocal here. It is time to speak up, but it seem we will all get what we want regardless of what others want as well..

Listen starting at the 18:00 minute mark.

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

1 hour ago, Daytona125 said:

I CAN NOT see myself going backwards. I fly exclusively in vr and there is no other way for me. Give us some option Microsoft! I’m willing to turn things down and I’m even willing to throw a 2080ti where my 1080 is now, just give us the option!

Totally agree, other VR should speak up now. They are listening to everyone. It is not a competition, and should not a divisive issue to want a particular feature. Rest assured, VR is the top request according to their developers, seasons are a close 2nd.  Also, VR was among, if not the top question asked at the recent "influencer" get-together.

It seems obvious that Microsoft would include VR since the genesis of FS2020 was borne from the Hololens Holotour program.

VR and Seasons, starting at the 18:00 minute mark:

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

This discussion reminds me a bit of an issue with formula 1 at the moment where the view is that the sport’s decision makers are spending too much time listening to who’s noisiest and not enough time finding out what the majority of people actually want, or thinking about what will actually work. This has ended up with a load of badly planned and badly executed solutions that don’t work. I hope Microsoft find a way to judge what the community want, to help them shape the future of the sim, that doesn’t involve them making decisions by which threads have the highest post counts. It isn’t necessarily a good measure of what the majority of people actually want. I would love VR to be in msfs but I won’t post in this thread anymore.  

Edited by Superdelphinus
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, LHookins said:

This can be a problem with TrackIR at first as well, but there are techniques that eliminate it.  Simply move your eyes in the same direction you are moving your head.

I've never had a motion sickness problem with head tracking and if it was a simple as moving your eyes with your head I would probably try VR again - but it isn't.  Motion sickness in VR (probably much more prevalent than you'd think) has a number of potential causes, the primary one being a disconnect in your brain between what's perceived by your eyes and your inner ear. If this is what causes your motion sickness (like me) then you'll probably never get on with VR. Sadly, my experience with VR was cut short by how unwell it made me feel!

On 9/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, Farlis said:

That really is not much of a concern in slow flying aircraft. It will come into play when you fly aerobatics.

See above. It's not the speed it's the perception of movement that's the main problem.

11 hours ago, mpo910 said:

I have 2160x2160 in my reverb, that is per eye, which makes it 4360*2160 which is indeed almost 4k.

No it's not. The 2 displays are not viewed side-by-side, one is superimposed on top of the other so it's only sightly more than half the pixel density of 4k. Additionally, the lenses stretch the image laterally to give a better field of view which further reduces the effective pixel density.

As vocal as VR users tend to be, I'd be surprised if they constitute even 10% of all flight simmers. If you look at the Navigraph survey which was mentioned earlier, only 11% of respondents used VR heasets in their flight sim. It's also worth noting that over 54% of those who responded to the survey had a salary of $50,000 dollars or more so I'd argue that they were not representative of the hobby as a whole. I'd also argue that those who took the survey (86% of whom used Navigraph or another commercial chart app) are probably just a small minority of the total number of flight sim users. As an aside, it's interesting in that survey that when you add together the number of boxed and Steam FSX users, FSX has about the same number of users as either P3D v4.5 or XP11, which I found surprising considering the number of people who claim FSX is dead!

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

8 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

See above. It's not the speed it's the perception of movement that's the main problem.

I can't help but wonder if, when people say, "I tried VR and it made me feel sick / dizzy", they're trying X-Plane or FSX and getting 25fps VR with asynchronous timewarp kicking in all the time.

I tried VR in X-Plane and FSX and couldn't stomach it for long (and I don't really get motion sick).

For a good VR experience you ideally need a sim that can output the frame rate of your headset most of the time. (Right now that pretty much limits it to Aerofly FS2).

Don't get me wrong, some people are of course really sensitive to motion sickness, but the poor frame rates make it much, much worse.

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

... I find it quite impressive to get 200+ replies on one threat in ca 2 days

... and 49 (out of 218 at the time of your post) of those replies were from you 😉 Yes, I counted them

• Like 2

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models