Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

3 hours ago, irrics said:

Once you go VR for flight sim, there simply is no going back.

I was sold literally on my first takeoff.  It was so so SO much more real, it was mind blowing.

I spent hours upon hours flying helicopters around on my first day in VR flight sim.  

It was unbelievably engaging in a way that's simply impossible to match with flat screens.

Exactly!  Simple like that.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hamilton Müller

3 hours ago, nickhod said:

So everyone keeps saying, without quoting real figures

The only easily accessible data for VR usage by gamers is the Steam Hardware & Software survey: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Steam has in excess of 90 million active users worldwide and the monthly survey shows VR as being used by less than 1% of them over all game genres. I'm not trying to be negative about VR, I'm just trying to explain why I think MS doesn't see it as a priority for the initial release of the new sim. I'm sure VR support will come, but their priority surely has to be to make it work well for the majority of users (who don't use VR) first.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The biggest use of VR is not in Gaming but in the  training industry and other areas, Steam Valve gaming last year 2% total.

It`s also why Microsoft are into halo lens tech for industry use.  

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

27 minutes ago, rjfry said:

The biggest use of VR is not in Gaming but in the  training industry and other areas, Steam Valve gaming last year 2% total.

The HoloLens is not VR

26 minutes ago, rjfry said:

There are more than 4 million psvr headsets out there, not to mention all the other offerings.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yes VR is used in the training industry a lot now and in design an office block that can be created in the virtual world and with VR can be tested and re-designed if need be to reduce cost, even sky scrapers are being designed now with this. the corporate use of this is growing fast.

• Like 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, nickhod said:

So everyone keeps saying, without quoting real figures, and yet...

That always makes me smile. You also usually find out a little bit later that the person either never tried VR or tried it and didn't like it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

That always makes me smile. You also usually find out a little bit later that the person either never tried VR or tried it and didn't like it.

Or maybe they dumped a ton of money into a home cockpit.  I was going down that road by already investing $2000+ in PFC controls, ProSim737 suite, Cpflight MCP,  and was shopping for for part to make a MIP....then VR came around...

I have been using VR in some form since The Oculus DK1 was released in 2014, and have never looked back  I still use all of the physical controls that I bought for my home cockpit.

I really hope that VR detractors get a chance to try a proper PC VR headset before chiming in with false information. At least we can figure out their motivation for disliking it.  

The real question is why do anti-VR people not want us to have it in the sim? What does it take away from what they want when the Asobo team wants everyone to let the know what we want.

Edited by daveinca2000
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

On 9/30/2019 at 2:59 AM, blueshark747 said:

You simply don't have to read these threads..no one is forcing you to deal with VR related simming wants.

How about we respect everyone's methods of sim immersion???

What's next?

Raising pitchforks at multi monitor surround simmers???

Indeed...this is the part I do not get. Why do others rain on our VR parade. We love it and are having a great experience with it. YMMV as usual.

• Like 1

I am a most ardent supporter of Microsoft and Microsoft Flight Simulator series back in the early DOS days. I am furious knowing the new MSFS has no VR support at launch. My reason is as follows:

FSX came out in 2006. The development was abandoned in 2009, leaving a dated and bugged DX9 32bit engine and a lot of crying babies including me. Oculus DK2 was in sale in July 2014. Only 5 months later a programmer named Dan Church single-handedly put forth a plugin named FlyInside which turns the almost 10 years old bugged DX9 32bit FSX into a VR spectacle! I still remember the day when I tried the free version of FlyInside for the first time, and I took off from Aosta (the scenery is created by another hobbist Frank Dainese). From that moment I knew VR is born for flight simulation, and flight simulation is born for VR, and I can't go back to flat monitors except for learning.

Just think of it. If Dan Church can do it single-handedly without source code of a 10 years old bugged DX9 32bit FSX, why can't a 120 person team with the most abundant developing resource of the world? I may be a bit biased towards VR, but it's more the illogicality and shortsightedness behind this decision that infuriates me.

Dan Church not only developed VR plugin for FSX, but also X-Plane and Prepar3D. Well maybe with the support of one or two collaborators. All his VR plugins worked smoothly. Maybe he will develop one for the new MSFS? Mmmmm...

Please take note of one fact: All current major flight simulators, civillian or millitary, all of them have builtin VR support. The only major flight simulator that does not have builtin VR is Dovetail Flight Simulator, and it's offically dead. 

And look at the new current VR fever starting this year with the coming of a new generation of VR headsets: Oculus S, Oculus Quest, Valve Index, HP Reverb, Pimax 8K+/8KX...those are vastly better than Oculus DK2, and vastly more in need of the most cutting edge flight simulator to have VR support!

Edited by dongdongliushui
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, domkle said:

VR : when you start a thread, with statements like  "no VR ,no buy" or "are you serious ?"  after being shown something  groundbreaking (I have seen all the releases in almost 40 years and this is groundbreaking)  , you can expect some backlask from others more moderate users. I don't care if there VR or not, I'd be happy for those who want it if MS implements it.   

I can't disagree with this statement. It is never a productive approach to take--I will buy/support ms2020 regardless, and I will continue to advocate for inclusion of VR I also want ATC and seasons. There is no reason to believe we all won't get what we want.

16 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

I can't disagree with this statement. It is never a productive approach to take--I will buy/support ms2020 regardless, and I will continue to advocate for inclusion of VR I also want ATC and seasons. There is no reason to believe we all won't get what we want.

Honestly speaking, I do personally understand the "no VR, no buy" sentiment.

Some of us truly and honestly just have no interest in a flight simulation product, particularly a brand new one, that doesn't support VR.

It's a really honest statement I think.  I personally am most likely in the same camp.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

I really like what VR could become (in my imagination), but not where it is right now.

You are correct in general, but the resolution is here now. I have multiple VR headsets including Oculus Rift, Samsung Odyssey, and HP Reverb. It is very clear in and out side the cockpit. You can turn off anti-aliasing because of the higher resolution. I can run the HP at the same frame rate of my Samsung Odyssey, but the HP is much clearer. So technically it is here now at a price.

The HP Reverb is steep at $600, but went on sale recently for $499. It is currently in highest resolution consumer headset now at 2160X2160 per eye. Compare that to the 2nd highest consumer displays of 1600X1400. All of the other updated VR headsets released this year sadly failed to deliver high resolution screens for simmers.. 

• Upvote 1

Also, this new MSFS is like 9+ months off from release anyhow, so the HMD space could even better and more diverse at that time (and certainly beyond).

10 minutes ago, irrics said:

Honestly speaking, I do personally understand the "no VR, no buy" sentiment.

I understand it also, and I have chosen not to but Sims without VR. I think at this point, everyone knows how we feel, but I believe a more productive stance to take would be to explain why we want it. Most people have no concept about VR. You cannot just show them a video or photo, it has to be tried. We do risk becoming as bad as the VR naysayers who give us no reason for hating it.