Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

23 hours ago, mpo910 said:

That message is quite high level and the causes for that experience can be a lot (Performance, Sickness, Quality, HMD Fitting, CTD.......etc.)

21 hours ago, zachrussell said:

That is unfortunate to hear, would you be able to expand on why it was the worst experience you had? 

No guys, it's simply because any ( logical ) sentence over a void set is always true !  🙂

See ? I never had the chance to try VR :-))))))

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 minutes ago, jcomm said:

No guys, it's simply because any ( logical ) sentence over a void set is always true !  🙂

See ? I never had the chance to try VR :-))))))

Well....If you have the (financial?) possibility and technical base , why you don´t buy the reverb, test it, make up your mind again and keep it OR send it back before 30 days (that is their 30-Day return policy).

I do think you are missing a experience.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

If you want VR in MSFS: Go and make your vote in the poll in this forum!

Every vote counts!

• Like 1

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

Apparently VR is not used much in the 2019 x-plane world.

This thread shows that it is very important to people who use it, and I am sure it will come to the new MSFS at a time. To me it is no priority, I doubt that I will invest the money, and the idea of being cut out from the real world I do not like.

I will go on with my 2 screens and the look to the fields and the sea beyond my window.

I read all of this thread, and wonder how much time and effort (money) it will take to include VR?

• Like 1

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

I call it: Dangerous half knowledgement from people who think and are convinced they have the knwoledge.....

Arent you the guy who literally claims that VR implementation would merely be a lunch-break sideproject for dev interns? I would be careful using the term "half-knowledge", as that's what you show when it comes to software/game development

Edited by Woozie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Arent you the guy who literally claims that VR implementation would merely be a lunch-break sideproject for dev interns? I would be careful using the term "half-knowledge", as that's what you show when it comes to software/game development

No I am definitly not that guy. That must be someone else.I NEVER made any assumptions how complex or simple it will be because I simply can´t. I don´t knwo the codebase and structure. I also don´t know the goals and Market Targets or any strategic backgrounds.

Why should I? I just jumped on this thread (this thread is merged before so the opener is someone else, but we had the same intentions) to have some attention on this VR-Theme and let other VR Users chime in here. 

I just said, that it does not mean or have to be necessary  that if a "part" of a Project Team implements VR that there will be no one else to develop other items.Why I said that? Because some users here act like due the fact VR is higher prioritized their requirements would (never?) come.

My sentence about Half-Knowledge is only used, because it appears that here are some users who are stating something based on some surveys where we don´t have any backgrounds and representative numbers to, that makes really transparant how many VR users there are and how this market will expand/decrease.

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

As this thread turned lateley into a lot of useless discussions for me, I will leave this so far for now (maybe come back later if it seems usefull and informative to me).

So I will not respond on any post here.

Thanks to all who chimed here to get more dev-attention to VR! 

Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 4

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I'd like to put it in another way. My father was an ardent music lover. His favourite was Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor. He once said: "How I wish I could liver another life so that I could listen to that music again for the first time!" He meant he really wanted the most fresh and intense feeling when he heard that concerto for the first time when it's not pulluted or worn off by repeated listening. 

That's the same reason why I want VR at launch. I don't want it to be "polluted" and "worn off" by flat panel playing. I know I will still buy it without VR at launch, cause I simply can't resist it. But it would be a very unfortunate situation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vindeballe said:

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

Apparently VR is not used much in the 2019 x-plane world.

This thread shows that it is very important to people who use it, and I am sure it will come to the new MSFS at a time. To me it is no priority, I doubt that I will invest the money, and the idea of being cut out from the real world I do not like.

I will go on with my 2 screens and the look to the fields and the sea beyond my window.

I read all of this thread, and wonder how much time and effort (money) it will take to include VR?

Thanks for reminding me of the X-Plane stats. Those are far more relevant than Steam.

The big caveat here, I think, is the hardware requirements to have an acceptable VR experience with X-Plane. We're talking a really high end i7 or i9 CPU and a 1080+.

If you value a smooth VR experience, X-Plane probably isn't the sim for you.

I used to have a GTX 1070 and an i5 and I couldn't use VR in X-Plane.
That's an X-Plane thing, not a VR thing, because most other VR games ran great.

Overall, my point is that we should be careful at looking at stats and concluding that there's a lack of interest in VR.
It's quite possible that people are put off by the hardware investment it takes to get older sims to run VR acceptably and that is hurting adoption on those platforms.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mpo910 said:

That is not accurate. P3D part of Xplane users and others could have bought elsewhere and not use steam but only steam VR for WMR. Native Game VR is not counted overthere. We do not know how they count. 

These numbers are far inaccurate.

For me a much better indicator is: How many units sold?

My post was not specifically about VR usage in flight sims, but about usage throughout all game genres (from where new flight sim users will come). Looking specifically at flight sims, the Navigraph and X-Plane surveys show that VR usage in the most common flight sims is lower than you'd think. Unit's sold is not an accurate gauge of how popular VR is for gaming as many unit's are used commercially, not specifically by gamers. Similarly, most market stats also include sales of standalone units like the Oculus Quest and Go and non-PC units like the PSVR headset (which accounts for a lot of the overall VR sales).

4 hours ago, nickhod said:

The big caveat here, I think, is the hardware requirements to have an acceptable VR experience with X-Plane. We're talking a really high end i7 or i9 CPU and a 1080+.

Overall, my point is that we should be careful at looking at stats and concluding that there's a lack of interest in VR.

It's quite possible that people are put off by the hardware investment it takes to get older sims to run VR acceptably and that is hurting adoption on those platforms.

That was one of my points in an earlier post. It's not just the cost of the VR headset that puts off potential buyers, it's the fact that most gamers probably don't have a system capable of running VR successfully and can't afford to upgrade just for VR. When you look at the hardware the average gamer uses, whilst it may work well enough for gaming on a monitor, it would be hopelessly under-powered for VR gaming.

I have no doubt that headset sales are ticking along nicely, but VR is a long way from becoming mainstream in the gaming world as a whole. Flight sims and racing sims (both niche gaming genres) probably have the most VR users but, even within those categories, the great majority of players still use monitors.

Like most people in this thread, I'm sure that the new sim will eventually support VR, but I can also understand why it's not a priority.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Just wait until some of the VR naysayers find out the multi-monitor support will not be in the initial release. (I need to find the original quote, so correct me if wrong)  Will they say that not many people have more that 1 monitors. Simmers have always been on cutting edge in hardware to run it. 

• Upvote 1

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

3 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

Just wait until some of the VR naysayers find out the multi-monitor support will not be in the initial release. (I need to find the original quote, so correct me if wrong)  Will they say that not many people have more that 1 monitors. Simmers have always been on cutting edge in hardware to run it. 

Most simmers I know use a single, large display, usually a 4k TV.

3 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Most simmers I know use a single, large display, usually a 4k TV.

Do you not believe multi-monitors should be supported? What about people who have home cockpits? 

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

This is for Microsoft and Asobo if you are listening.

VR is not only good for those who love VR, but also for those who don't care for VR. Most of all, it's good for Microsoft and Asobo yourselves: so we have a next generation of flight simulator that's miles and miles ahead of all competitors in every aspect...wait not every aspect...there is one aspect that's completely lacking from the very beginning.

Just think of the relief on those competitors' faces.

I understand all developers want to make money out of their products. That's completely fine. But I think you must also understand that Microsoft Flight Simulator is not an ordinary product. It's not just a cash cow. It's more than that. It's higher than that. It's rich in cultural meanings.  It's also a height of human achievement, a symbol of freedom, a step into higher dimension. Surely Microsoft also wants the new flight simulator to help heightening the image of the enterprise?

Talking of cultural image, higher freedom and dimension, and you don't think VR is the most urgent matter?

As a secular saying goes, a bucket can only fill with the volume of water the shortest plank allows. Please don't make VR your shortest plank.

In the ultimate sense, VR is about flying, and flying is a form of VR. They are one and shouldn't be separated.

Edited by dongdongliushui
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

Just wait until some of the VR naysayers find out the multi-monitor support will not be in the initial release.

They should be focusing on "seasons" instead

😉

Edited by irrics