Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

1 minute ago, daveinca2000 said:

I have Quest as well, and I was pleasantly surprised that tethering is supported AND hand tracking.  Someone will support it.  Quest is selling them as fast as they can make them.

It's probably hard to say right now since tethering isn't out yet, but how is the resolution on that quest? Have you tried a rift to compare? 

• Like 1

i5 7600k @5.1 ghz Liquid cooled, 1080ti Duke 11GB, 32GB DDR4 3400, 8TB m.2 PCIE NVME array intel 660P X 4, Oculus Rift, TM Hotas, TM TPR rudder, 

21 minutes ago, adamv1 said:

It's probably hard to say right now since tethering isn't out yet, but how is the resolution on that quest? Have you tried a rift to compare? 

I have the Rift CV1, the Quest has higher resolution than Oculus Rift S and Rift CV1.  Some say Rift S is good but the specs are not good enough for flight simming, if you value resolution.

The Quest is a value proposition(mobile and PC(soon)), and the resolution is almost as high as the Samsung Odyssey. And has a nice OLED screen for great night flying.

https://www.threesixtycameras.com/vr-headset-comparison-table/

The HP Reverb beats them all, except for night flying, but even that is not bad. LCD screen with a very high pixel fill.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hp+reverb+vr+headset+specs+table&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.eagle.ru%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D210631%26stc%3D1%26d%3D1558680665

Edited by daveinca2000
clarity
  • Like 1

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

Nothing beats the vibrant colors and blacks of the Odyssey Plus’s OLED overall imo.

I’m hoping Samsung is about to release something on the Reverb’s level of resolution.

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Nothing beats the vibrant colors and blacks of the Odyssey Plus’s OLED overall imo.

I’m hoping Samsung is about to release something on the Reverb’s level of resolution.

I was waiting for Samsung to jump in with that new screen. OLED RGB high pixal density screens do exist so I'm hopeful, but I am not prepared to upgrade for a while--most likely insane cost.

https://vrgineers.com/vrhero-5k-plus-launch-worlds-first-vr-headset-high-density-oled-displays/

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2019 at 5:34 AM, Spit40 said:

I think all this debate is very healthy. It just makes the thread longer and keeps VR high up the Avsim active threads list 😉 

The detractors can be thanked for that. We just need to gently provide fact while being respectful to others.

Edited by daveinca2000
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you havent allready done it. Please vote for VR on the ongoing poll in the other sticky post.

• Like 1

Right.. a 15 page thread about a minor temporary tech fad called VR who would have thought...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Right.. a 15 page thread about a minor temporary tech fad called VR who would have thought...

giphy.gif

Yup just like 3 D TVs were supposed to be the end all of standard HD TV’s!

They were nothing but a fad!

Chris Camp

Clearly the future is a simpit in the basement with multiple monitors strewn all over the place or a single monitor with "TrackIR"

giphy.gif

Edited by irrics
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Yup just like 3 D TVs were supposed to be the end all of standard HD TV’s!

They were nothing but a fad!

I can understand you are feeling salty after building an airliner in your home. I started down that road and it felt way more nuts than using VR instead.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dongdongliushui said:

VR is not only good for those who love VR, but also for those who don't care for VR. Most of all, it's good for Microsoft and Asobo yourselves: so we have a next generation of flight simulator that's miles and miles ahead of all competitors in every aspect...wait not every aspect...there is one aspect that's completely lacking from the very beginning.

Just think of the relief on those competitors' faces.

I think it would need something much more than a lack of initial VR capability to stop the developers of other sims being very worried about the new sim as it seems to have so much more going for it. 

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Just from a standpoint of logic, I think if I was MS and looking at the largest potential market for my new offering, I would certainly "pet the dog" of the hard-core simmer community, but I would also be expecting to make most of my money from casual gamers, including those within the burgeoning 4 billion dollar a year market of gamers using VR headsets

But casual gamers are the ones who currently seem to have the least interest in VR. As I've said repeatedly, the Steam Hardware survey, which is the only easily accessible, regularly updated source of gaming hardware data (and derived from a huge user base) shows less than 1% of Steam gamers using VR. If there really is a burgeoning casual gamer market out there, it's managing to hide itself well. As much as we'd like to think that the new sim will somehow attract many millions of new users, I just don't see that happening. Like racing sims, flight sims will always be considered a niche gaming genre and although this new sim will hopefully draw in the next generation of enthusiasts, I can't see it ever coming close to rivalling the top-selling AAA games.

3 hours ago, adamv1 said:

One thing I have seen parried around is the amount of VR users on steam being 1%. One thing this doesn't account for is the more than 50% of "gamers" on steam that are running hardware that could never play any modern games

You'd be surprised at the minimum specification of machine needed to successfully run many new games. As long as you don't want all of the most graphically intensive features, you can run most games at 1080p and usable framerates on what most here would consider to be low-spec systems - my standby games machine is an old i7-920 with 8GB RAM and a 4GB graphics card.

But this is exactly the point I've been trying to make. If most casual gamers have machines which couldn't be expected to run VR games (but can run the non-VR games they play) do you really think that they'd suddenly upgrade to a high-end machine and buy VR hardware (even if they could afford it) just because of MSFS?

25 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

We just need to gently provide fact and be respectful others.

I fully agree, but we also need to accept the reality that those who use VR make up only a small part of the flight sim userbase (and an even smaller part of the gaming market, as a whole). It would be foolish of MS not to have VR capability somewhere on the roadmap, but I can understand why it may not be in the initial release. The bottom line is that it's not a matter of if MSFS will be VR capable, more a matter of when. Patience is a virtue.

• Like 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

I can understand you are feeling salty after building an airliner in your home. I started down that road and it felt way more nuts than using VR instead.

I agree. I had planned for years to build an experience using two projectors and two or three monitors. I spent a ton of money doing that and never quite got it right. When VR came out it was the solution I needed. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Don't miss this nugget in another thread here guys..

Biggest takeaways

1) There will be seasons but their top priority is VR due tons of VR requests. The engine supports the seasons by default and the lakes or rivers will be able to freeze in winter. Snow can be generated on the fly and trees will be able to change color.

Link:  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I fully agree, but we also need to accept the reality that those who use VR make up only a small part of the flight sim userbase (and an even smaller part of the gaming market, as a whole). It would be foolish of MS not to have VR capability somewhere on the roadmap, but I can understand why it may not be in the initial release. The bottom line is that it's not a matter of if MSFS will be VR capable, more a matter of when. Patience is a virtue. 

Thank you for your input. We VR enthusiasts realize that VR may not make it into the release, but we will not be silent and take a risk they may not included it at all.  We just want to voice our support as Asobo requested.  Nothing more, nothing less. And do realize that flight simmers in general probably do not add to the number of people in VR. (all forms of VR).  Shouldn't we tap a growing VR segment and bring them into the simming fold?

Edited by daveinca2000
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1