Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

38 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I don't think that anyone is objecting to VR capability being incorporated into the sim at some stage (I'm certainly not). It's more about priorities and what would benefit the most users on release. Seasons, for example, are usable by everyone whereas VR is only usable by a relatively small number. If resources are limited, something has to be seen as more important.

My problem with that is that I have seen the exact same argument deployed multiple times over the years and always when somebody feels that their own particular priorities/preferences should take precedence.

Abruptly there is a concern about resources, when all the previous requests for complex and super-detailed features face no objection, I assume because those making the resource argument agree at least generally with the other requests.

And how do we know exactly what resources this team has available, or how difficult implementing vr would be as opposed to other things?

I would guess that we have absolutely no idea.

But we still make the resource argument because it sounds vaguely virtuous when in fact it's simply "Me first!!"

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

And honestly the one feature that was consistently mentioned in the interview about being very resource intensive and complicated was ATC.

That was the one thing that it sounded like would in fact dramatically take away resources from something else. 

Seasons sounded like something they just dismissed as not really a problem and they will get to. VR sounds like they were a little surprised at the popularity of it, but it’s been a consistent drumbeat since E3. 

I predict seasons and VR will both either be there at release or very very shortly afterwards and ATC will be a bit later down the pipe.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

I want to see ATC as well. I everyone gets what they want though. We can pitch in on their thread now and later. 

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

12 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

And how do we know exactly what resources this team has available, or how difficult implementing vr would be as opposed to other things?

I would guess that we have absolutely no idea.

But we still make the resource argument because it sounds vaguely virtuous when in fact it's simply "Me first!!"

We don't know what resources they have, but what we can be absolutely certain about is that they're not limitless. If they have to prioritise some features over others, doesn't it make sense to prioritise those which will benefit the most users?

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

We don't know what resources they have, but what we can be absolutely certain about is that they're not limitless. If they have to prioritise some features over others, doesn't it make sense to prioritise those which will benefit the most users?

Yes. That is why we are on this thread.  Go forth and help out seasons or ATC. 

I really hope Microsoft and Asobo are able to have VR at launch, or else it will be going back in time.  Every other major flightsims have VR at this point.

Edited by Cyrex1984
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Everyone interested in ATC should listen to that audio interview.

You can tell by their tone and what they say that:

1.  it will come at some point

2.  it's not a release priority

3.  it's really complicated and they want to do it right when they do it.

I'm not advocating either way, I just encourage people to get it from the source rather than us speculating about "their resources".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cyrex1984 said:

I really hope Microsoft and Asobo are able to have VR at launch, or else it will be going back in time.  Every other major flightsims have VR at this point.

Everyone posting here wants VR.  I would love to get it at launch if Asobo can swing it. They seem to be level-headed and pro technology. 

1 minute ago, irrics said:

Everyone interested in ATC should listen to that audio interview.

You can tell by their tone and what they say that:

1.  it will come at some point

2.  it's not a release priority

3.  it's really complicated and they want to do it right when they do it.

I'm not advocating either way, I just encourage people to get it from the source rather than us speculating about "their resources".

You are correct sir. VR is already plumbed in the works since FS 2020 was bourne from HoloLens HoloTour. People need to listen to the interviews more carefully. Maybe take notes. The VR portion may not be ready for public consumption.  I will volunteer my time, and yours to test it. 

30 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Well, let's think about that.

Why do we think the niche of civilian aviation enthusiasts represents the most potential users of the upcoming sim over and above much larger audience groups, which also include the group that encompasses vr users?

I would point back to the long standing community overestimation of our own importance, despite the readily apparent negligible size of the market we represent. (much too small to single handedly justify such an enormous outlay of resources, that is, if we have any honestly legitimate concerns on microsoft's behalf in that regard)

In actual deployment of assets (and expected return on investment) we probably give the sim a big boost at the beginning, as we likely represent a hoard of day one purchases, but I believe we pretty quickly fade in importance in the potential larger market (again, including vr headset users) that Microsoft pretty much has to be aiming for. (unless, as I said previously, they are suddenly running a civilian aviation philanthropic organization)

At that point we become the loud minority, which by our own logic should be on the back burner (because #resources)

Wouldn't that be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I’m watching the FS 2000 video again, takeoff from Renton. It begs for VR, like me. 

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

The difference being I dont think pro-VR users have invaded any other threads to talk down other people's priorities.

Us VR users have nothing to be bitter nor miserable about..that's why.

Its not like we have to be narrow-minded and pick sides between VR or a multi 2d monitor setup. We have evolved from the 2d pancake monitor way of thinking..therefore making our reasoning totally 3 dimensional.

It would be quit foolish as simmer in 2019 to go against such technology, the way I see some talking about the VR user population in general is just the same as how others regard te PC Flight Sim community as a whole.

giphy.gif

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Us VR users have nothing to be bitter nor miserable about..that's why.

Its not like we have to be narrow-minded and pick sides between VR or a multi 2d monitor setup. We have evolved from the 2d pancake monitor way of thinking..therefore making our reasoning totally 3 dimensional.

It would be quit foolish as simmer in 2019 to go against such technology, the way I see some talking about the VR user population in general is just the same as how others regard te PC Flight Sim community as a whole.

giphy.gif

I've been trying to find a way to say EXACTLY what you just expressed. THANK YOU! lol

• Like 1

🤫 They are, apparently unknown to them, they are helping to inflate this thread. But I hope we can change some of their minds. VR is awesome in flightsims.  Resistance if futile...

Edited by daveinca2000
Grammer

2 hours ago, AlexMD11 said:

That said, as much as VR is a very important feature for me as well, I am sure that the new FS will have tons to offer to enjoy myself with, even without VR at launch. As some of the devs were saying in the Q&A I have seen, I'd rather wait for a very good implementation rather than a quick and dirty one, especially where I am a bit concerned about the performance where XP is struggling at times even though I have a relatively high-end system. 

As long as it is on their roadmap and it will be there at some point, I am a happy man. 

Actually I think I prefer a "quick and dirty one" and then a "perfect one" three months later, than having no VR at all for 3 (or more) months after MSFS is released 🙂

Cheers

Carlos

• Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.