Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

3 hours ago, nickhod said:

What I would predict is that when MSFS gets released without VR and the press do their thing, every review is going to make a big point about the lack of VR and how it lags behind other sims in that regard. I think it's a marketing own goal for MS and Asobo. VR sends a message that this is a sim platform focused on the future; that they're skating where the puck is going, not where it has been.

The press are also going to make a meal of the fact that X-Plane VR was implemented by one dev in a few months. FlyInside one dev in a few months. Aerofly FS2 by a team of 5 - 8, some part time. Yet MS had a virtually unlimited budget couldn't get it done for launch. Possibly unfair, but the comparison will be made again and again.

Looking dispassionately, I agree with you. More people in total will enjoy seasons than VR. That only matters if it's a zero sum game though. You could implement VR and seasons at the same time. There's no overlap in requiring one to be done before the other.

Overall, I'm just very surprised that Asobo didn't have 1 or 2 devs working on VR right from the start (or from 2016).
You couldn't do that with seasons, lots of other stuff would need to be in place first.

Lol  x-plane...might as well just close all the other forums after the release of MFST 2020 as I suspect they will turn into tumbleweed factories. MSFT 2020 has raised the bar to new levels. VR is not a priority because it's not what simmer's want.

Edited by Flybynumbers
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

https://www.amazon.com/X-Rocker-Extreme-Rocker-5109201-Gaming/dp/B00DFREOPC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F5F7HYTMA7B7GJFKED7R

Wow! $179!!! I've been out of the game too long. This is the gaming chair I have and would say it is one of my favorite additions.

Clearly any self respecting simmer with a full cockpit and all the switches would never lower themselves to using something as pedestrian as a gaming chair when only an authentic cockpit seat would do.  🙂

All silliness aside, I would suspect that MS's definition of what a simmer is happens to be a lot more broader than the one presented in your arguments.  Otherwise they would have a very limited market in which to market their product to 

1 hour ago, Flybynumbers said:

Yes. It's fun to fly around...but it's not realistic. That's why pilots train in simulators...that's why people build cockpits. Remember when trackIR came out?

Please take a look at this picture. It's Chinese airforce pilot been trained in VR using HTC Vive Pro. 

49eca83dgy1g7lxrkcz4gj21hc0u0wm5.jpg

12 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

Please take a look at this picture. It's Chinese airforce pilot been trained in VR using HTC Vive Pro. 

49eca83dgy1g7lxrkcz4gj21hc0u0wm5.jpg

Lol so you want to simulate simulating? The point of simming is to simulate real world conditions...thus we build full motion simulators with physical controls. When real world pilots start flying wearing VR helmets using virtual controls THEN it would be accurate to build a VR simulator.

Edited by Flybynumbers

31 minutes ago, BrettT said:

Clearly any self respecting simmer with a full cockpit and all the switches would never lower themselves to using something as pedestrian as a gaming chair when only an authentic cockpit seat would do.  🙂

All silliness aside, I would suspect that MS's definition of what a simmer is happens to be a lot more broader than the one presented in your arguments.  Otherwise they would have a very limited market in which to market their product to 

Lol it's true...some simmer's are very particular. I plan to upgrade to this for the new sim. 🙂

https://www.virtual-fly.com/shop/flightpanels/solo-g1

Edited by Flybynumbers

1 hour ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

But not necessarily for flight simulation. He could just as easily be using it for technical or engineering training.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

Lol so you want to simulate simulating? The point of simming is to simulate real world conditions...thus we build full motion simulators with physical controls. When real world pilots start flying wearing VR helmets using virtual controls THEN it would be accurate to build a VR simulator.

I don't understand what you mean by "simulate simulating".  According to the TV news, the Chinese pilot is using VR to simulate formation flying. Those are the elitest pilots being trained for the National Anniversary Parade on October 1, which requires the most realistic training.

Yet no simulation is 100 percent realistic. You think your 10 grand home cockpit is truly realistic? Do you think you can exactly emulate every buttons of different aircrafts? VR does not have the real feel of the hardware button, but it's more flexible and versatile. Do you think your multi monitor setup can truly emulate the scenery outside? Absolutely not. It has no depth. VR will be so much more realistic for the view, and for the situation awareness because of the true 3D 360 degree view. 

I am not saying VR is omnipotent, but neither is your home cockpit. Each has its advantage and disadvantage. So let's sit down and talk from different perspectives.

Edited by yanfeng12342000

7 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

I don't understand what you mean by "simulate simulating".  According to the TV documentry, the Chinese pilot is using VR to simulate formation flying. Those are the elitest pilots being trained for the National Anniversary Parade on October 1, which requires the most realistic training.

Yet no simulation is 100 percent realistic. You think your 10 grand home cockpit is truly realistic? Do you think you can exactly emulate every buttons of different aircrafts? VR does not have the real feel of the hardware button, but it's more flexible and versatile. Do you think your multi monitor setup can truly emulate the scenery outside. Absolutely not. It has no depth. VR will be so much better for the view, and the situation awareness because of the true 3D 360 degree view. 

I am not saying VR is omnipotent, but neither is your home cockpit. Each has its advantage and disadvantage. So let's sit down and talk from different perspectives.

Yes...the goal is to emulate EVERY button...look on youtube as some simmers have done this. Take it to whatever level you want. I'm just saying that last time I checked, pilots are not flying around wearing VR helmets so having a VR setup is not a simulation...it is an immersive experience. It will not be comfortable simming trying to turn virtual knobs. It will be reminiscent of the trackir...good for flying around but a pain to hit an approach. If you had a fully enclosed motion simulator in your basement you would never fly VR again.

Edited by Flybynumbers

Nothing wrong with a home built cockpit, nothing wrong with VR. BOTH are correct. I had a A320 cockpit at one time. But felt weird when flying a piper.  To each his own. 

• Like 1

Definitely being trolled at this point...thanks for growing the thread though😉

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

2 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

A gamer gets enjoyment from doing barrel rolls.

Ok, so I am a gamer because I like to fly aerobatics... in real life? 😀 I think that's pretty narrow minded. Flying is not about pushing buttons, at least not necessarily. The simplest plane I ever flew is a D31 Turbulent, where you really only have a throttle, stick and rudder. To me, flight simulator comes pretty close to real life flying in VR (except for stick and g-forces) , in 2D on the other hand - not so much... 

• Like 5

Oh and my A320 home built never made me want to vomit in an immelman turn lol

12 minutes ago, VansRV4aerobatics said:

Ok, so I am a gamer because I like to fly aerobatics... in real life? 😀 I think that's pretty narrow minded. Flying is not about pushing buttons, at least not necessarily. The simplest plane I ever flew is a D31 Turbulent, where you really only have a throttle, stick and rudder. To me, flight simulator comes pretty close to real life flying in VR (except for stick and g-forces) , in 2D on the other hand - not so much... 

Yes...VR will be great if all you want to do is barrol rolls...we get that. I'm sure VR pilots will love it...but good luck flying in IMC conditions. 🙂 If you use real world weather updates and live on the south coast you will be grounded 80% of the time. 🙂

45 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Definitely being trolled at this point...thanks for growing the thread though😉

Is is easy to see, isn’t it? VR users are as passionate about VR, as others are against VR in MS 2020.  It is almost as though the VR detractors have something to prove. 

Edited by daveinca2000
Clarity

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb