Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

It's Not Ray Traced

They are ticking just about every box there is, But it's going to be DX11 with Emulated Ray Tracing. I could have sworn it was RT based on some of the videos, showing reflections, but no. 

This sim could be the end of tweaking though. Worldwide Orbx like ground scenery. Plan a trip then just go. In XP I have to spend so much time do maintenance, upgrading plugins, tweaking scripts, art controls etc. This will hopefully end all that (except for custom addons). 

Greazer.

Not really surprised, TBH.  I looked for evidence of ray tracing when the preview video was released and found only one possible reflection from off-screen, and that was not definitive.  

Yep, I was wrong on that, some scenes really did look ray traced to me, so all credit due to the devs for pushing what's possible with non-RTX hardware.

(Particularly cloud reflections on the wing, but I guess the cloud in question was on screen!)

Edited by nickhod

Dont forget that hardware RT would exclude quite a significant number of customers still running on last gen (and current gen mid-tier) GPU's.

Apart from that, imagine what it takes to trace rays coming from the largest and strongest lightsource one can imagine, and those rays are hitting something of the size of our very own planet. It would require an enormous amount of scaling to achieve reasonable framerates, especially when going full RT with direct light, ambient light and reflections. And i dont want to fry my 2080Ti for an effect that wont even be visible most of the time considering what flightsims are all about

1 minute ago, Woozie said:

Dont forget that hardware RT would exclude quite a significant number of customers still running on last gen (and current gen mid-tier) GPU's.

Apart from that, imagine what it takes to trace rays coming from the largest and strongest lightsource one can imagine, and those rays are hitting something of the size of our very own planet. It would require an enormous amount of scaling to achieve reasonable framerates, especially when going full RT with direct light, ambient light and reflections. And i dont want to fry my 2080Ti for an effect that wont even be visible most of the time considering what flightsims are all about

Personally I don't care what hardware I have to buy to achieve the ultimate in world simulation for the purposes of simulating aviation.  If MS tells me I need an RTX Titan and a 64-core Threadripper, I'll buy that.  I realize not everyone can afford this level of hardware, but that's what settings sliders are for.  

1 minute ago, TechguyMaxC said:

an RTX Titan and a 64-core Threadripper, I'll buy that.  

Some already use that to gain 5 extra FPS on an ancient graphic engine 😉

Atleast not yet but seeing their graphics engine is highly scalable, and once we have the GPU powerful enough to raytrace the entire city at once, they might introduce it sometime in the future along with DX12.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

2 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Some already use that to gain 5 extra FPS on an ancient graphic engine 😉

The Titan - yes.  The Threadripper - no, as it doesn't exist yet.  But it might be out soon.  

Also, being a DX11 title I think we're still more likely to see better performance out of a few fast cores (think 9900KS - 8 cores at 5GHz) rather than a bunch of medium speed cores (64-core Threadripper that runs at maybe 3GHz on all cores).

My inclusion of 64-core Threadripper was more about cost than actual performance in MSFS.  

• Like 1

I believe going forwards, Ray tracing is something they will implement. I did see them mention they may eventually move to DX12, at which point Ray tracing becomes available. 

They touch on this from 23:00. 

It has been said that project scarlet will be able to do RT.

To be fair to the Dev`s this was a product started 5 years ago, DX12 and RT were not on the road map back then.

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

If NVidia would respect the flight sim community a little maybe MS/Asobo would have been in a collaborative position 5 years ago; a flight sim is a perfect candidate for unveiling RT (same with VR).

But Nvidia is primarily focused on games based on violence...their shoulder seems to be permafrost toward us.

But this community has and will persevere.

Hopefully respect is on the horizon (pour some molten lead on that shoulder 😇 )🤨

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pracines said:

If NVidia would respect the flight sim community a little maybe MS/Asobo would have been in a collaborative position 5 years ago; a flight sim is a perfect candidate for unveiling RT (same with VR).

But Nvidia is primarily focused on games based on violence...their shoulder seems to be permafrost toward us.

But this community has and will persevere.

Hopefully respect is on the horizon (pour some molten lead on that shoulder 😇 )🤨

"Games based on violence...." What an unnecessary and provocative statement. If thats the case then DCS should be one of NVIDIA's showcase titles, right?

Its also new to me that NVIDIA is responsible for RTX implementation in games. Be assured, if a major developer approaches NVIDIA asking to assist with RTX implementation, they will be more than happy to help...

And yes, lets add hardware RT to a world-simgame everyone tries to run in 4k with maxed out details and rendering distance, what could possibly go wrong? Cant wait for the "only 10 FPS?????" threads on AVSIM....Thats what you usually get when trying to run RTX on 4K with a 2080TI at full details....

Edited by Woozie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

This was probably a business decision more than anything.

Requiring a card that can ray trace would have excluded the majority of customers. And whatever they've come up with seems to be doing nearly the same thing, so no loss IMO.

2 hours ago, bonchie said:

This was probably a business decision more than anything.

Requiring a card that can ray trace would have excluded the majority of customers. And whatever they've come up with seems to be doing nearly the same thing, so no loss IMO.

I don't think so... It's more about timming, they started on 2016, there was no Ray Tracing for the games on the horizon back there. They said on the Q&A RTX implementation is on the table, but which we have been seeing isn't RTX tech. DirectX12 and RTX are just a matter of time as I understood from their answer.

Edited by ca_metal