Sign in to follow this  
Ezra

P3D Future

7 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm confused, I thought the FSLabs Concorde got cancelled?

Cheers, Rob.

Not cancelled, postponed. The announcement of MFS20 threw a spanner in the works. They have said they will only do a 64-bit conversion once so are waiting to see which of P3D v5 or MFS20 is best for them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you listen to the Asobo developers, you will have learned that they are building the new MS Flightsimulator on an FSX code base.. much of which they like and are keeping.. :cool:

As I always said, FSX is hard to beat. But hardware is dramatically changed. So as with the broom example, they are changing the brush and a new handle will eventually come. But the framework is a defining work.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I've enjoyed this thread. Lots of differing views but it's been very cordial and polite.

Whatever happens, it's likely MS2020 will bring new people to flightsims and that may very well benefit all the flight simulators out there as many simmers end up trying other sims as well since they all have their strong points.

Flight simming will be the winner!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SteveW said:

As I always said, FSX is hard to beat. But hardware is dramatically changed. So as with the broom example, they are changing the brush and a new handle will eventually come. But the framework is a defining work.

Makes sense 😉

André

I really don't understand this pausing of purchases. If you enjoy the product and get your money's worth out of it, then why have this mentality? Buyer's remorse is a useless construct if you are happy with what you paid for. If one really wants to go down that road, then you should put your whole life on hold, indefinitely, because something better will be out tomorrow. And you will never see a diverse addon ecosystem upon release of MFS. It will take years.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And therein lies the downside of satellite scenery. I was wondering that myself. There'a always a catch.  😞

Did you know that satellites can orbit even during the winter?

Tile Proxy for FSX was season aware with satellite scenery even back in like 2008. I fail to see how this would suddenly be impossible  2020. Seeing what MS has managed to do with 2d to 3d transformation by postprocessing the image data, I would not be surprised if the same data could be postprocessed to transform summer scenery into other seasons. Actually, I suspect they might already do something similar already to get the right look for each given time of the day. They hardly use a totally different set of world wide images for each position of the sun, right?

On 9/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, Beardyman said:

End of P3D is on the horizon. 

No it’s not the end of P3D. It’s made by a different company, for a market that is not entertainment oriented. For sure a lot of us will turn to MS and a new sim. 
Still people, this is MS and their product, yes it look great, but it is still Microsoft.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

19 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

No add-ones = who cares about those nice looking videos?

Is your problem that you have too much money in your wallet?
If not, I really don't get what you mean.

It's pretty clear that:
A) Stock MSFS contains lots of stuff that other simulators require 3rd party addons to achieve
B) MS states, loud and clear, that they are already working together with 3rd party developers

Personally I hope that all these innovations we see here will finally help us to get rid of the overpriced non-finished addons that we've all spent lots of $$$ on. We shouldn't have to do that. 3rd party development is key to success for a simulator but it should be used to create something particularly special, not to compensate for missing basic functionality. I know there are lots of really good 3rd party addons out there. Many are not good at all though, or are extremely overpriced.

One simple so call "night lighting" product for p3d costs $250 for the bundle. Seriously? Or what about a super hyped product that seems to do nothing more than maybe, if you look closely, change the roof color of some autogen buildings. 50 euros for basic ATC functionality, $30 for some airport vehicles and silly looking animations. Another $30 just to get the airplane to shake, $50 for some clouds. $40 to get AI aircrafts based on FS9 models with 10 year old liveries. There's even a commercial product to slightly change the looks of trees. Seriously? I think we've all bought so many of these addons that we've come to accept that any simulator simply requires 3rd party addons even be usable. It should not be like that.

Also, if your conclusion is that the hype is about "nice looking videos", I think you really, really missed the point. The visuals are getting a lot of attention but there are obviously lots of other really big innovations at work here. They are long, long overdue.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I actually increased my addon purchases after the MSFS. Partially because life is short, and this sim is not here yet. And partially because I believe in supporting the folk who provide the addons that provide so much enhancement to our sims.

Yes, life is way, way to short for waiting.

38 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

Did you know that satellites can orbit even during the winter?

Tile Proxy for FSX was season aware with satellite scenery even back in like 2008. I fail to see how this would suddenly be impossible  2020. Seeing what MS has managed to do with 2d to 3d transformation by postprocessing the image data, I would not be surprised if the same data could be postprocessed to transform summer scenery into other seasons. Actually, I suspect they might already do something similar already to get the right look for each given time of the day. They hardly use a totally different set of world wide images for each position of the sun, right?

There’s no need to ask ridiculous questions. Of course I’m aware satellites orbit throughout the year. If it was just a case of replacing summer tiles with winter ones on a specific date it might be doable.

But we’re talking about adding snow when it snows. If you know the climate of the U.K. you’ll know rain can turn to snow and a few days later turn back to rain. How on earth do you model that? The answer is you can’t.

Let’s leave it there until there’s some concrete info.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

Is your problem that you have too much money in your wallet?
If not, I really don't get what you mean.

It's pretty clear that:
A) Stock MSFS contains lots of stuff that other simulators require 3rd party addons to achieve
B) MS states, loud and clear, that they are already working together with 3rd party developers

Personally I hope that all these innovations we see here will finally help us to get rid of the overpriced non-finished addons that we've all spent lots of $$$ on. We shouldn't have to do that. 3rd party development is key to success for a simulator but it should be used to create something particularly special, not to compensate for missing basic functionality. I know there are lots of really good 3rd party addons out there. Many are not good at all though, or are extremely overpriced.

One simple so call "night lighting" product for p3d costs $250 for the bundle. Seriously? Or what about a super hyped product that seems to do nothing more than maybe, if you look closely, change the roof color of some autogen buildings. 50 euros for basic ATC functionality, $30 for some airport vehicles and silly looking animations. Another $30 just to get the airplane to shake, $50 for some clouds. $40 to get AI aircrafts based on FS9 models with 10 year old liveries. There's even a commercial product to slightly change the looks of trees. Seriously? I think we've all bought so many of these addons that we've come to accept that any simulator simply requires 3rd party addons even be usable. It should not be like that.

Also, if your conclusion is that the hype is about "nice looking videos", I think you really, really missed the point. The visuals are getting a lot of attention but there are obviously lots of other really big innovations at work here. They are long, long overdue.

B) NOT TRUE!

If you have read the official post from Randazzo at PMDG he “clearly” states they they have not been contacted or consulted at all from the MSFS team and I can’t think of any better “3rd party” developer than PMDG!

Edited by Kilo60
  • Like 1

Chris Camp

40 minutes ago, Wennerholm said:

Yes, life is way, way to short for waiting.

24hrs before Microsoft dropped the news on us...i bought the Blackbox A330 for a 2nd time because i lost my Login Info to the store i bought it years ago😂🙄😜

i will still buy small fun addons but NO MORE $200 PMDG/FSL products

Edited by Arthur42417

55 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

A) And you think that is all going to be free?

B)Unless I missed it, I think they said that they have hired outside contractors. I believe that is not 3rd party. In fact they wont even have a complete SDK when this is released.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

36 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

B) NOT TRUE!

If you have read the official post from Randazzo at PMDG he “clearly” states they they have not been contacted or consulted at all from the MSFS team and I can’t think of any better “3rd party” developer than PMDG!

Chris, it is true. The developers of the sim themselves have confirmed they are working with 3rd party developers as we speak. Froogle, who was one of those invited, said it was the developers you would think they would talk to, so this gives an indication as to who they are working with.

The post from Mr. Randazzo you are referencing is months old. Things have changed substantially recently.

I just posted this same request in another thread: please be careful when sharing supposed information.

12 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

B)Unless I missed it, I think they said that they have hired outside contractors. I believe that is not 3rd party. In fact they wont even have a complete SDK when this is released.

They have been talking about contractors early on. However, they have confirmed in the wake of the recent event that they are in fact talking to 3rd party developers right now. The SDK will be released with the tech alpha. Even if it may not be complete in October, you would think it would be a year from now at release.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD