Sign in to follow this  
rjchalklin1

Prepar3D V4.3 crashs on splash screen

Before this all happened, everything was running smoothly, i installed envshade and tomatoshade as i like the shaders. I do some tweaking around, but then when i start P3D it stays on the splash screen for few minutes then it crashes completely without any warning. I've done everything i can such as delete the C drive P3D files to let them regenerate back in again, no hope. I disconnect a few USBs from my computer as they can cause some problems sometimes, no hope. I uninstall P3D and reinstall it, no hope. At this point i have run out of thoughts.

Anyone help out please?

Right click on the P3D desktop icon and select > open file location.

Scroll to > Delete Generated Files

Double left click on this file > Delete Generated Files

Go to documents folder and delete folders named > Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and Prepar3D v4 Files folders.

Right click on the P3D desktop icon and select > run as administrator

source https://youtu.be/YsOibqIV0OQ

Edited by _Patrol

16 hours ago, _Patrol said:

Right click on the P3D desktop icon and select > open file location.

Scroll to > Delete Generated Files

Double left click on this file > Delete Generated Files

Go to documents folder and delete folders named > Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and Prepar3D v4 Files folders.

Right click on the P3D desktop icon and select > run as administrator

source https://youtu.be/YsOibqIV0OQ

It's seem to of worked. But the problems continue, as soon as it loads up to the start screen it freezes then crashes.

1 hour ago, _Patrol said:

Edit file Prepar3D.cfg

Delete line SITUATION=

save changes

Can't seem to find SITUATION= in the cfg.

The first thing loaded in P3D at startup are the various modules located in the dll.xml.  There are two of them in P3D, one in the same folder as the p3d.cfg (old default) and one in the scenery.cfg folder (new default).  If you tried to merge this duplication, the sim will crash at startup.  If there are any modules out of date they will likely cause a CTD.  You can disable the dll.xml's by renaming them to dll.off to see if this fixes the problem at startup.  If it does, then you will have to disable each module until you find the module causing the issue.  The AVSIM CTD Guide tells you how to disable individual modules.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

40 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

The first thing loaded in P3D at startup are the various modules located in the dll.xml.  There are two of them in P3D, one in the same folder as the p3d.cfg (old default) and one in the scenery.cfg folder (new default).  If you tried to merge this duplication, the sim will crash at startup.  If there are any modules out of date they will likely cause a CTD.  You can disable the dll.xml's by renaming them to dll.off to see if this fixes the problem at startup.  If it does, then you will have to disable each module until you find the module causing the issue.  The AVSIM CTD Guide tells you how to disable individual modules.

Thank you! I will have a look.

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I've followed the steps in the AVSIM CTD file section in the Move/Disable modules in dll.xml section. But i have had no hope. I actually can't seem to see the DLL file in the same folder as P3D.cfg

Edited by rjchalklin1

3 hours ago, rjchalklin1 said:

I've followed the steps in the AVSIM CTD file section in the Move/Disable modules in dll.xml section. But i have had no hope. I actually can't seem to see the DLL file in the same folder as P3D.cfg

So, renaming the dll.xml stopped the crashes!  That's good.  At least you were able to pinpoint this issue as renaming the dll.xml to dll.off fixes a lot of problems. I suspect you are now looking for the module(s) causing the issue by disabling them one by one as this is never done unless the renaming of the dll.xml fixed the crash at the splash screen. 

Currently some old timers in the flight simulation world use the old default location in the same folder as the P3D.cfg.  They are FSUIPC, ActiveSky, and CS Sound (at least in my setup).  If you do not have these programs installed, they you will not see a dll.xml in the same folder as the P3D.cfg but only in the same folder as the scenery.cfg.  If you did not see the dll file, it should be shown as dll in Windows Explorer with the extension not visible and you just right click and select rename and rename it to dll.off, restart P3D and the dll.xml will not load.

Envshade has caused problems in the past for many if not installed properly.  Tweaking P3D causes crashes too if not done properly.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

So, renaming the dll.xml stopped the crashes!  That's good.  At least you were able to pinpoint this issue as renaming the dll.xml to dll.off fixes a lot of problems. I suspect you are now looking for the module(s) causing the issue by disabling them one by one as this is never done unless the renaming of the dll.xml fixed the crash at the splash screen. 

Currently some old timers in the flight simulation world use the old default location in the same folder as the P3D.cfg.  They are FSUIPC, ActiveSky, and CS Sound (at least in my setup).  If you do not have these programs installed, they you will not see a dll.xml in the same folder as the P3D.cfg but only in the same folder as the scenery.cfg.  If you did not see the dll file, it should be shown as dll in Windows Explorer with the extension not visible and you just right click and select rename and rename it to dll.off, restart P3D and the dll.xml will not load.

Envshade has caused problems in the past for many if not installed properly.  Tweaking P3D causes crashes too if not done properly.

I didn't say that renaming the dll.xml stopped the crashes, they only keep occuring. However, i had installed Envshade a day before the constant crash occured but i am 100% sure i installed it properly.

There's no reason to disable indiv modules if renaming the dll.xml did not fix the problem. The CTD's only belong to  you on YOUR computer and setup.  You have to investigate YOUR issue to find a solution.  We can you suggestions all day long but they are only suggestions.

Submit News to AVSIM

1 hour ago, rjchalklin1 said:

I didn't say that renaming the dll.xml stopped the crashes, they only keep occuring. However, i had installed Envshade a day before the constant crash occured but i am 100% sure i installed it properly.

well if  you  installed  Envshade  and  than  your issues  started suggest  its  the  cause  of  it,  if  you  can  disable  it  from  running  or  uninstall   it  to see  if  it  fixes  your  ctds

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg