Sign in to follow this  
whitav8

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 in VR

Hopefully some of us will get a chance to evaluate the tech alpha build (maybe in October ) of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - in VR mode especially!! The trailer videos are amazing - finally we have a GoogleEarth type of worlds to fly in - they look so real! Make sure you sign up (https://www.flightsimulator.com/ ) as an Insider. Please report if you get to try it out!

Dave W.

• Like 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

giphy.gif

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

The start of this U-tube video  reminds me of nearly 40 years ago with my Commodore 64 - thro MSFX 1 to X Gold -

What a journey that was - and all those years ago - even to today - I plod a happy flight path.

About 10 years ago - Just Flight had something called VFR flight for the MS sim - and I thought then "how good is that" - and until today

- I thought was that Orbyx was a near as we could get to Reality - especially with UK TE South.

At the age of 84 - and an ex PPL owner of a PA 32 - I just hope that I will get the chance to fly this sim -  because it  appears to be as close as one can get to actual flight. --- Like 1000s of other simmers around the world to-day - I am gobsmacked.

On a slightly different note and in conjunction with some of the recent foregoing monied topic - I am user of X Box one (1TB) - and quite happily pay $A10 / month to have a choice of playing any one of a 100 games on offer any time I wish as well as storing them in my 1TB. For another few $s - I can play any of all the games on X Box ever produced back to 360. I am sure that this contributes well to the cost that MSD needs to keep its own servers in operation.

I'll probably just swap my $10 to fly wherever I want in the World - any time I want - in this sim.

The only other comment I want to make is that I got a distinct impression of a Blue/green screen type background type of 3 D effect when viewing the a/cs in flight

sort of a video of an A/c in a wind tunnel!!

Let's see.....no VR, no helicopters, no multiplayer.....hmmmm.  Doesn't seem to be much of interest to me in the initial release.

Danny

Danny

I read somewhere else that the Microsoft developers asked an hopeful alpha tester which HMD he had, so maybe VR will come before too long.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I cannot believe in 2020, a developer wouldn't be working flat out on VR implementation. I suspect, that what they were getting at in the Q&A is that they really want to make the UI stand out and not equal to what is out there now. With Facebook's announcement that they are working on hand tracking for the Quest, it'll have to come to Rift as well, and thus be something absolutely essential to get into a flight sim. Touch controllers are just useless in a VR cockpit when a yoke and throttles are employed. A hand tracking solution would transform our ability to click and work the switches.

It'll happen, it will have to. Getting it right before release is paramount. If we have to wait a bit, so be it.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

VR It´s first priority for developers, so yes, it´s coming

Cheers

Carlos 

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

11 hours ago, whitav8 said:

I read somewhere else that the Microsoft developers asked an hopeful alpha tester which HMD he had, so maybe VR will come before too long.

Yup. It was one of the questions asked when signing up for the Insider program so, while it may not be available on day 1, I have no doubt that it's in the works

I'd be happy with visuals only as a first release for VR. I still believe in HOTAS and perhaps voice commands for complex aircraft. Tracking hands and fingers and haptic touch is a lot of development (and expense ).but it will be very cool when available.

12 hours ago, chass32 said:

VR It´s first priority for developers, so yes, it´s coming

Cheers

Carlos 

First bit of good VR news I’ve heard so far on FS2020. I hope you’re right Carlos.

I was disappointed hearing Froogle say probably no VR with the first release.

Seems like the developers have done such a wonderful job with this up and coming product with all the amazing technological advancements, I would have thought VR was just a walk in the park for them.

3 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

First bit of good VR news I’ve heard so far on FS2020. I hope you’re right Carlos.

I was disappointed hearing Froogle say probably no VR with the first release.

Seems like the developers have done such a wonderful job with this up and coming product with all the amazing technological advancements, I would have thought VR was just a walk in the park for them.

They confirmed it in flightsim´s podcast (after reading/listening the community).

Cheers

Carlos

• Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Hey guys, there is a poll here at Avsim as regards which item we'd most like to see about the new MSFS. Could you VR fans give your voice there? The developers said they'd be very open to the public opinion. So this might have some influence on their attension of VR. Could you give your voice there? 

Poll link: 

Edited by yanfeng12342000
  • Upvote 1