Sign in to follow this  
solwell1

Four seasons?

I have not heard if four distinct seasons will be depicted yet.  Has anyone heard this mentioned?

AFAIK there will be no seasons upon release. Not being able to fly e.g. in the Austrian, French or Swiss alps, or Alaska in winter is a real downer 😞

Edited by FDEdev

I just posted about this too, sorry for the duplicate.  Yeah, I want seasons.  X-enviro in X-plane is the only real game in town on that platform that looks good (but it's still in development), P3D has seasonal tiles that are not dynamic.  I really hope that MSFS comes up with something better. 

I read a few times that it’s number 1 or 2 in their priority list now so no doubt (in my mind at least) that visible seasons will be in there at launch - it looks like the actual weather part of it already is. One downside to the weather as it is at the moment that I read or watched somewhere, was that it currently operates in ‘squares’ and could jolt from one set of conditions to another if you were crossing over between squares, but I think they are still working on it. 

Again, we must must define what a season is. I see three main parameters

- the variation of the height of the sun in the sky over the year.

- real-time, seasonal weather including precipitations and fog. 

-  how much the ground reflects the weather : snow accumulation, ice, drought etc.  

The first two will be implemented with a notable improvement of the atmospheric light. The third is still in doubt at that stage. This is at least what I understand.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, Superdelphinus said:

One downside to the weather as it is at the moment that I read or watched somewhere, was that it currently operates in ‘squares’ and could jolt from one set of conditions to another if you were crossing over between squares, but I think they are still working on it. 

Snow accumulation in FSX/P3D is by squares.  The actual weather transitions the way you'd expect.  Usually. 🙂

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Obviously we're all guessing here as there is no official statement. However, everything points to no at the moment. Not only have they not showing any winter images but they only mentioned rain as precipitation.... 

Just now, Sticky said:

Obviously we're all guessing here as there is no official statement. However, everything points to no at the moment. Not only have they not showing any winter images but they only mentioned rain as precipitation.... 

It is definitely not in the current build, but they confirmed they are working on it and it is one of the highest priority areas so I think it’s safe to assume it will be in when it goes gold. 

5 minutes ago, domkle said:

Again, we must must define what a season is. I see three main parameters

- the variation of the height of the sun in the sky over the year.

- real-time, seasonal weather including precipitations and fog. 

-  how much the ground reflects the weather : snow accumulation, ice, drought etc.  

The first two will be implemented with a notable improvement of the atmospheric light. The third is still in doubt at that stage. This is at least what I understand.

Add:   - colour of vegetation and leaves on/off trees..

• Upvote 5

Bert

WHAT A REAL BUMMER...!!!!

I could care less about the orange leaves BUT:

This means no more ICING EFFECTS on any AC!!!

De-Icing now will be useless... They might as well remove Piot Heat and all deicing panel switches from all MSFS AC and Add-on ACV cause we will be simming in an alternate universe where the effects of cold weather and icing doesn't exist!

What a step down from realism!

Edited by Kilo60
  • Like 1

Chris Camp

2 minutes ago, Pitbull2504 said:

and if possible with hail 😉

Seasons are partly depicted by weather and it ain't weather, unless:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwIUqzQ0FF1Qlz0jjRBPP

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

40 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

AFAIK there will be no seasons upon release. Not being able to fly e.g. in the Austrian, French or Swiss alps, or Alaska in winter is a real downer 😞

Has anyone from the development team actually said this?   Not trying for snark, instead just wondering if there’s something I missed. 

Short of an official statement, I’m going to continue to bet that we’ll see seasons eventually in a future build. The fact that they’re not there yet might suggest that they’re being done procedurally - which would be a big advantage, because that way it might be possible to match the ground conditions to the weather. That’s something I’d like to see - on my home turf in the Mid-Atlantic, we sometimes have major snowfalls, but for much of the winter the ground is snowless. Right now, I often set the clock back to November 30 to kill the hard winter textures. A sim that could read and then build the current conditions would be a big step forward. 

Of course all of that is speculation on my part, so I’d be interested to find out what if anything we actually know.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Snow accumulation in FSX/P3D is by squares.  The actual weather transitions the way you'd expect.  Usually. 🙂

Hook

I hope not to see anymore the "shotgun" transition between snowy and non snowy ground areas we have now. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam