Sign in to follow this  
solwell1

Four seasons?

2 hours ago, Sticky said:

Read in another commend that the latest FSelite video the cockpit designers mention icing conditions. Makes sense because airframe and carburetor icing can happen anytime of year

Really?  How?

Flew many summers up in Massachusetts in my dad’s Bonanza and never had an icing issue once!!!!

Unless you are deliberately flying a Cessna through a hail storm what GA AC are going to have icing conditions in the summer anywhere in the US?  

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

2 hours ago, domkle said:

On a side note, if our friend thinks that icing is just a winter thing, he may have some nasty surprise on a rapid descent even in summer. 

Is this even possible on GA aircraft?

Never experienced this myself...

Chris Camp

I guess I don't get it.

If they can let me descend through cloud layers, pick up icing (yes this happens in the summer all the time), fly through variable weather down to a slippery wet runway ... I simply do not care if there is snow on the ground or the trees are turning red.

You don't need snow to get slippery and ice.

So ... why is this any sort of a priority?

1 minute ago, Gulfstream said:

I guess I don't get it.

If they can let me descend through cloud layers, pick up icing (yes this happens in the summer all the time), fly through variable weather down to a slippery wet runway ... I simply do not care if there is snow on the ground or the trees are turning red.

You don't need snow to get slippery and ice.

I don't know - it's not a super high priority for me, but I think it'd be nice to have places look different (realistic) depending upon the time of year/part of the world.

That's a big part of the immersion experience I think.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, irrics said:

I don't know - it's not a super high priority for me, but I think it'd be nice to have places look different (realistic) depending upon the time of year/part of the world.

That's a big part of the immersion experience I think.

I get it as a "nice to have" but the urgency that some people are seeming to give to it, that's what I don't get.

I'm sure it will get in eventually ... but as it does not really affect anything other than how things look (as I mentioned above) ... it can wait.

I would put VR and helicopters WAY above seasons, and those won't be there at launch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

I’ll bite. For me it comes down to one word: atmosphere. This new sim has it in spades.

There’s something special about flying in the winter even in P3D: the contrast of white snow and dark clouds, the moody vistas, and then the brilliant blue as you get above cloud cover. It conjures a feeling of time and place that resonates.

This sim is going to be positively teeming with atmosphere. That’s clear. But I’ll really miss that feeling of winter flying if seasons aren’t included.

James

Edited by honanhal
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

I would put VR and helicopters WAY above seasons, and those won't be there at launch.

Me too - absolutely 

I was only saying that I definitely understand the desire for seasons at some point also.

42 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Really?  How?

Flew many summers up in Massachusetts in my dad’s Bonanza and never had an icing issue once!!!!

Unless you are deliberately flying a Cessna through a hail storm what GA AC are going to have icing conditions in the summer anywhere in the US?  

OH gawd... Hope you don't ever take passengers up flying...

• Like 2

No seasons on release?

If the scenery is procedurally generated then I think adding seasons wont be "too hard" in the future.

I imagine when they do add seasons it will be amazing (accumulation of snow on trees, building, runways etc).

Since I mainly fly in Australia and SE Asia the lack of seasons is not an issue for me.

I'm super impressed with the weather, and the "cloudscapes" extending 600 NM to the horizon, OMG that will incredible, especially at FL300!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Matthew S

31 minutes ago, honanhal said:

There’s something special about flying in the winter even in P3D: the contrast of white snow and dark clouds, the moody vistas, and then the brilliant blue as you get above cloud cover. It conjures a feeling of time and place that resonates.

100% spot on. It'll be weird running FS2020 in the winter with real world weather turned on. Wonder how their their weather engine will make a metar that reads 1/4SM -BLSN look.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

WHAT A REAL BUMMER...!!!!

I could care less about the orange leaves BUT:

This means no more ICING EFFECTS on any AC!!!

De-Icing now will be useless... They might as well remove Piot Heat and all deicing panel switches from all MSFS AC and Add-on ACV cause we will be simming in an alternate universe where the effects of cold weather and icing doesn't exist!

What a step down from realism!

Icing is already implemented as one of the devs mentioned in an interview. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Well I can tell you I will not be taking up MSFS until seasons are fully implemented it`s the reason I moved to P3Dv4 and have not purchased ORBX TE without seasons, and in the interview they say it`s Bing summer scenery and it`s good saying what they may be able to do down the road but will they, are they going to just add colour to the ground to represent snow I don't see it doing 4 seasons like FSX or P3D, at the moment I am flying in the fall as you call it in the US as my sim is set to my PC date, and enjoying the Autumn tree colours the brown's with Terraflora  addon and regional trees.

If I did not care about seasons I could have gone to XP.   

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sticky said:

100% spot on. It'll be weird running FS2020 in the winter with real world weather turned on. Wonder how their their weather engine will make a metar that reads 1/4SM -BLSN look.. 

Who says that no 4 seasons means no fog, no snowfall, no rain, no darker shading and no greyish skies? No one stated that from MS. Users here are to much speculating and interpreting.  I ASSUME that it would mean no fall coloured trees and gras, no snow on rhe ground and maybe no ice on surfaces. But the atmosphere is fully there....again Assume

But that is fine to me for a start.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 minute ago, mpo910 said:

Who says that no 4 seasons means no fog, no snowfall, no rain, no darker shading and no greyish skies? No one stated that from MS. Users here are to much speculating and interpreting.  I ASSUME that it would mean no fall coloured trees and gras, no snow on rhe ground and maybe no ice on surfaces. But the atmosphere is fully there....again Assume

But that is fine to me for a start.

How do you get snowfall with visible lush summer green vegetation?  It would look absurd...!

Cant really have one without the other!

• Upvote 1

Chris Camp

Brown or green grass, farm fields with brown or black dirt or light green crops in Spring, darker in Summer, golden or appropriate color in Fall.  Hay bales when appropriate.

Fall colors appropriate to the area.  Anyone who has ever been in the northeast US in the Fall knows what I'm talking about:  unbelievable colors.  Considerably more muted in Texas.  And give us some variation unlike FSX.

Snow or ice or appropriate ground texture and color in the winter which varies by area.  Accumulating snow or rain puddles.  

Edit:  Frozen lakes and rivers, etc.

What we've seen so far looks pretty good.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;